Ordered $2500 j-custom from ikebe. How do I pay the import tax / customs duty? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Ordered j-custom from ikebe. How do I pay the import tax / customs duty?

I just ordered a $2500 j-custom from ikebe-gakki.com, and it's on its way to me in the US. I know some of you have done this in the past. Can you tell me what I can expect as far as import taxes are concerned? Specifically, how do I pay them, and about how much are they?

Thanks for any and all information you can give me!

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:23 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Ordered $2500 j-custom from ikebe. How do I pay the import tax / customs duty?

AFAIK, you won't have any taxes or duties to pay. I never have, but all my purchases were for used guitars/parts. I don't know the rules for a new purchase.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Vendor

Re: Ordered $2500 j-custom from ikebe. How do I pay the import tax / customs duty?

It depends on who the carrier is. If it's DHL they'll bill you, 10% and small brokerage. If it's your post man that delivers it you shouldn't get any bill. Those would be the 2 typical when buying from Asia and AU.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

It's being shipped via EMS, which if I'm not mistaken hands off to the USPS when it gets stateside.

I'm concerned about this because I'm having it shipped to my work address (big company with internal shipping dock), and I just realized they probably wouldn't appreciate being asked to pay customs fees on delivery to the carrier! I hope I didn't royally screw up there...
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 AM

I've gotten a few small EMS packages and they were just left on my doorstep like a normal package. Was never contacted about any duties, although these were $150-300 packages.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Ive found it to be hit and miss. I've bought a bunch of Edwards and Fenders from Japan and sometimes I got bit and had to pay, sometimes I didn't.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Ive found it to be hit and miss. I've bought a bunch of Edwards and Fenders from Japan and sometimes I got bit and had to pay, sometimes I didn't.
Well, there won't be any more Fender Japan guitars unless you find em used. Just thought you should know.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:51 PM

I got a $2000 guitar from the USA to uk and had to pay $609, quite a hefty tax.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Well, there won't be any more Fender Japan guitars unless you find em used. Just thought you should know.

Might be time to sell a few then
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Might be time to sell a few then
Yeah, just so you know the reason why:

Fender was distributed by Yamano Gakki (iirc the parent company of Rock Inn guitar shops) and they got into a argument over something, which made Fender create "Fender Music Japan." They ordered a cease production order on Fender Japan, meaning the brand has disappeared. Another problem with this is that Fender has decided to only work with ONE dealer per city, and they essentially refuse to even support warranties for guitars left over at stores that stocked Fenders before this whole dealer mess got started. Shops that are not authorized Fender dealers can't get replacement parts or anything to help their own customers.

So that's essentially the deal. Fender Japan, as a brand name, is gone. i'm sure people who know Fender Japan and how high quality they are will still hunt them down and the prices will rise, but what has happened here is total insanity. There will be a lot of guitar shops losing LOTS of business to authorized Fender dealers.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 02:04 AM
Banned

I ordered from Gotoh once, no customs, but the item was below 100 EUR.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Yeah, just so you know the reason why:

Fender was distributed by Yamano Gakki (iirc the parent company of Rock Inn guitar shops) and they got into a argument over something, which made Fender create "Fender Music Japan." They ordered a cease production order on Fender Japan, meaning the brand has disappeared. Another problem with this is that Fender has decided to only work with ONE dealer per city, and they essentially refuse to even support warranties for guitars left over at stores that stocked Fenders before this whole dealer mess got started. Shops that are not authorized Fender dealers can't get replacement parts or anything to help their own customers.

So that's essentially the deal. Fender Japan, as a brand name, is gone. i'm sure people who know Fender Japan and how high quality they are will still hunt them down and the prices will rise, but what has happened here is total insanity. There will be a lot of guitar shops losing LOTS of business to authorized Fender dealers.
same story with the death of jacksonstars brand?
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Well, the guitar arrived in the US from Japan and was transferred to USPS. It was delivered to my work address with no customs fees. I guess I got lucky this time!
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
same story with the death of jacksonstars brand?
that I don't know, sadly.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhildinger View Post
Well, the guitar arrived in the US from Japan and was transferred to USPS. It was delivered to my work address with no customs fees. I guess I got lucky this time!
What I'm trying to figure out is, why is Ikebe allowed to ship guitars to the US but Jason at Ishibashi isn't. The president of Hoshino USA gave him a "stop it" speech supposedly but Hoshino USA hasn't told Ikebe the same thing.

Tags
duty , ikebe , import , j-custom , taxes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode