Original Cases? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Original Cases?

Some of the guitars in my collection have original cases, but not all of them. This has never been a deal breaker for me figuring i could always buy the cases later, but certainly does factor in as far as sale price. I'm at the point with my collection where i don't see myself buying many more guitars (at least that's what i tell myself now ), so over time i'd like to start buying original cases as they become available for the guitars I own that don't currently have original cases.

Is there any guide or documentation available to tell me what the correct cases are for my guitars? Most of my guitars (at least the ones i would need cases for) are from 1987-1993. My collection consists mostly of different RG's (550/570/565/770dx, etc) as well as 540's (Saber, Gambale Signature, Radius, Power and PII).

The original cases i do have are a mix of tolex and the hard plastic/abs kind. Some of the rare guitars (like the PII) have tolex cases but they seem different...i.e. the guitar sits differently in the case, neck is sort of at an angle if i recall correctly. Some guitars also have the chainsaw style.

Anyway, i guess ideally I'd like to know what the options were by year/by model for cases for Ibanez guitars during this time period. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 06:51 PM

Re: Original Cases?

I was going to ask this same question awhile back. I think early 87 540's 550's etc would be the PL1770C (tolex chainsaw) I think the PL probably stood for ProLine but thats what the 87 price list shows. Then late 87ish to 89 or so would be the rectangle Tolex with the white piping (RG550LC), then they started with the Plastic molded cases M100C and you had your choice of the tolex or plastic as you bought them separately. The USA Customs first came with the RG550LC but had a badge that said USA Custom, Then the M150C molded case. The molded cases changed some over the years from Charcoal fur or Black fur and the badging from prestige deluxe or professional deluxe, etc..thats where I need the help to determine which is which.

Here is a link to the 87 price list showing the case: http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/.../2_Jun/p02.jpg
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:06 PM

It looks like the RG7xx's were also slated for an MA150C moulded starting in 90. What exactly does that case look like.....Im not sure?
It also shows the 89 540pii types went in an RG550PC, maybe thats the one you mentioned that tilts the neck?? I know mine just came with the regular straight 550 but Im sure you probably got whatever that dealer had in stock.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. This is very helpful and making sense. Actually my '87 radius blue burst and red burst are both sitting in the hard plastic type cases (M100C), so from what you're saying this is actually not even the correct case for these guitars

So basically to sum it up,

I think i need to look for the chainsaw case or RG550LC for any '87 (RG5xx, 540R 540S)
For '88-'90 I think I want RG550LC. (RG5xx, 540R 540S)
For 1990-'93 i want RG550LC or M100C (RG5xx, 540R 540S)....maybe M150 for 7xx series?

Correct? (i'm not sure what year they started offering the M100C, based on what i put above i'm assuming 1990). I also noticed some of my M100C say Prestige Deluxe, some say Professional Delux, and some have no badge in the middle.

The exception to the above is the 540p(ii). For this (as you said) I think I want the RG550PC (whatever that is).
I *think* i have one of these (came with my 540p and seems to fit it well). It's basically like the regular tolex case but the guitar fits in at sort of an angle. A pic is below...i probably should have taken the picture with the guitar in it as opposed to empty. Finding more of these i suspect will be a challenge.

For the 540pii (european model) i believe the original case is the one below (looks like chainsaw case but with red piping). I'm not sure if someone can confirm.

So aside from the 540p/pii it sounds like i primarily want the RG550LC or M100C for this era. The one additional question i would have is what is the case in the below picture? It's a tolex case, but doesn't have the piping and clearly isn't a RG550LC (unless they changed them). I have a few of these that came with guitars from this era and I don't know what model it is or for and for what years. I think the guitars that have this case are from around 91-93...so i'm thinking maybe these came a little later?

Last edited by pwsusi; 01-28-2015 at 07:50 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Vendor

All you need is to look at the price lists

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/price/index.htm

The M150 was the first molded in 1990, the M100 came in 92' and ran with the 150C for a couple years till the 150 was dropped.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 PM

The last case is the 140c and could also be purchased in this time frame, it is however the "lower end" case if you will and is more suited to the ex series stuff IMO. But once again as you could buy any case offered it was at the buyers discretion. Interesting about the chainsaw with red stitching. I have one of those but assumed it was just a generic case, if someone could confirm what that is for us that would be great!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All you need is to look at the price lists

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/price/index.htm

The M150 was the first molded in 1990, the M100 came in 92' and ran with the 150C for a couple years till the 150 was dropped.
How do you tell which is which though?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 03:16 AM
Vendor

M150's
Prestige Deluxe - black banded - 90'-91'
Professional Deluxe - silver banded -92'-93'
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
M150's
Thanks, this is helpful.

- So is the M100 the similar looking case without the tag that says Prestige Delux or Professional Deluxe?

- How does the M150C look compared to the M100 and M150?

- Any idea about the first picture above where the guitar fits in at an angle? Is that the 540P case (RG550PC)?

- Any thoughts on the chainsaw case with the red stitching?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
M150's
Thanks Rich!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmerc View Post
The last case is the 140c and could also be purchased in this time frame, it is however the "lower end" case if you will and is more suited to the ex series stuff IMO. But once again as you could buy any case offered it was at the buyers discretion. Interesting about the chainsaw with red stitching. I have one of those but assumed it was just a generic case, if someone could confirm what that is for us that would be great!
Had often wondered about this case (140c), I have one of these which houses an RG550 but to be honest thought it was a generic case that someone had spray painted on the Ibanez Logo!

Just never got round to asking about.

RG Bargie
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
The exception to the above is the 540p(ii). For this (as you said) I think I want the RG550PC (whatever that is).
The RG550PC is exactly the same as an RG550C except with different/additional bolsters inside to support the reverse 7/8 scale body. That's why this guitar flops around inside a regular RG550C.

I've seen pictures of these cases but they were always with the guitar. Found a guy in Spain who offered to sell me one but it would have cost a fortune to get so I passed on it. Never seen a loose one for sale in the US.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The RG550PC is exactly the same as an RG550C except with different/additional bolsters inside to support the reverse 7/8 scale body. That's why this guitar flops around inside a regular RG550C.

I've seen pictures of these cases but they were always with the guitar. Found a guy in Spain who offered to sell me one but it would have cost a fortune to get so I passed on it. Never seen a loose one for sale in the US.
Thanks. So from what you describe it doesn't sound like what I have pictured above (first two pictures). I was thinking that's what this case was.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 PM

I always wondered about the Ibanez cases.

When I bought my RG570 in the early 90's it came in a black moulded Ibanez case with silver banding, sunken Ibanez logo across both sides, funky black twist-clip style latches (turn the "ears" and the clip tightens down, then flip the ears down), and a black fitted interior.

When I bought my RG421 MIJ I wanted the same case, and asked for it. What it came with was different. Moulded again with silver banding, but it had a sunken Ibanez logo with swoosh on both sides, chrome regular clip latches, blue fitted interior. This case is also thicker.

I'll take pics and post them up later.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:38 PM

Yeah the chainsaw cases with red stitching were standard for Australia for all models. It was to do with shipping space,but you could order the larger square case or first molded style cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode