Original Edge in a 3120F? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Original Edge in a 3120F?

Options, options, options.....

As I am considering a trade for a 7 string on this I am also considering keeping this as its the best 6 string I own. I know, but who isnt finnicky....

My question is, how hard would it be to fit the original edge trem in my 3120F (currently has an edge pro)? I know the route doesnt match up. Do the saddles match the radius? If the route is altered (by a tech) does the flame top stand a chance of getting damaged? I do know Rich has these in stock.

So many questions but these are the questions that burn.....and also my pee but thats a different more regretful story......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 PM

Re: Original Edge in a 3120F?

I still think the Edge Pro is the best of the Ibby bridges. Even the 2 540 customs I made have EP's on them.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I still think the Edge Pro is the best of the Ibby bridges. Even the 2 540 customs I made have EP's on them.
As in the 90's S540?

Would you mind telling me why?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM

I don't own any guitars with edge pros, nor will I (not that it's bad or anything, I just like all my lo-pros). I do know though, that with an edge pro, it sits lower in the cavity than if you were to slap an original edge trem on there. My Jem and 550 have original edges and they stick up quite a bit more than the other two. I don't think you'd gain anything by switching really.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 PM

Reviews: 10

Jack has custom-made 540s into which he chose to set EPs.

All preference, but the Edge is not per se better sounding or playing than the EP. Your hand that rests on the trem will decide.

The EP, although despised by the folks that grew up with the Edge, is probably the most progressive and functional double-locking trem out there: exchangeable knife edges, functional fine tuners, option to string without clipping off ball ends (good for gig emergencies), low profile that's comfortable to rest your hands on, plug-in trem arm, little rounded, string-saving sustain blocks...what's not to like.

You can slightly improve in your axe by adding locking studs, which Rich at Ibanezrules.com sells. But since most people don't even know how to lock any locking studs correctly they are at best a marginal improvement for many . As TMatt142 put it, you won't gain anything discernible besides look/feel.

I am not very picky, but I personally favor the EP and Lo-Pro over the Edge for the profile alone.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
Did you have the bodies custom made? If so, where did you get them?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Reviews: 2

To actually answer your question and not argue the merits of the EP, No the top of your guitar should not be affected. The major problem area when fitting an Edge/Lo-Pro into the EP route is the trem block area (the block your springs mount into). This is definitely the only problem area in my RG1527.......I'll be routing it to fit a Lo-Pro7.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Vendor

The only issues putting a LP in is the rounded front corners of the rout of either side of the studs. This has to be routed back to look like a Lo Pro rout, if done carefully it will not damage the top.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Vendor

You can always grind back the outer tines on the bridge so you don't have to rout the top.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM

I don't have any contact at the corners. Is this something that can vary by model??
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Vendor

I've never seen a Lo Pro or Edge that would make it to the studs because of those rounded corners, which is also why only an EP will retrofit an ED3.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You can always grind back the outer tines on the bridge so you don't have to rout the top.
I did not think of that....thats actually brilliant. I would much rather damage the bridge in a worst case scenario than the top of my guitar......

Only issue is half of the comments about the EP makes me reconsider. I have had this discussion with RGT and he brings up good points on the LP...

I guess it may come down to tonal properties..........
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM

Recovering from my drunken state, I noticed I said Edge Pro was the best Ibby bridge. Obviously, I meant the Lo Pro is the best.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 AM

The spacing between the body studs is different too.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by py36 View Post
I did not think of that....thats actually brilliant. I would much rather damage the bridge in a worst case scenario than the top of my guitar......

Only issue is half of the comments about the EP makes me reconsider. I have had this discussion with RGT and he brings up good points on the LP...

I guess it may come down to tonal properties..........
Don't get me wrong...The EP is a very good trem, but ONLY if you upgrade to locking studs. That's the option I would choose if it were my guitar. I wouldnt take a router to yours OR grind the corners of a Lo-Pro unless you could find a CHEAP Lo-Pro for sale.........and I mean DIRT CHEAP......LOL.

I really like your guitar as it is (I always have), in fact if I had the $$ I'd buy it from you. Just add some locking studs and it will be every bit as good as an ED or LP. Just a little bit stiffer though, but I'm sure your used to that already.

Ryc

Tags
3120 , edge , ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode