Original Wizard vs. New Super Wizard - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Original Wizard vs. New Super Wizard

I'd like to hear you guys thoughts on the Super Wizard necks on the current Prestige line vs. the original Wizard necks used for so many years. I'm having a hard time pinpointing it but they just feel different and are hard to get used to. Do you guys notice the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Re: Original Wizard vs. New Super Wizard

there's 3mm difference. Appericate it :P
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
there's 3mm difference. Appericate it :P

In width or thickness? It feels both wider and thicker.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverKlohzoff View Post
I'd like to hear you guys thoughts on the Super Wizard necks on the current Prestige line vs. the original Wizard necks used for so many years. I'm having a hard time pinpointing it but they just feel different and are hard to get used to. Do you guys notice the difference?
I think you are talking about regular prestige necks,there are no Super Wizards in the current line up which is why many of us are excited for the return of them in 09 on some models. Unless you have a J custom you probably dont have a wizard profile,what model do you have?

Just for the record im wizard crazy and have versions from 89-07,they are exactly the same profile/measurements and the only difference is a volute,3 or 5 piece construction and an extra 2mm width at the last fret. In the hands they feel identical/perfect!

Wizard/Super wizard = 17mm @ 1st fret-19mm @ 12th fret = 430mmR 43/56/58mm w
Prestige neck = 18mm 20mm 430mmR 43/58mm w
Jem7vwh = 19mm 21mm 430mmR 43/56mm w
RGT42 (korean) = 19mm 21mm 400mmR 43/56mm [email protected]
EGEN = 18mm 20mm 430mmR 43/57mm w
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 AM

i think he meant the super wizard on the rg550/770 reissue
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 PM

I must be going mad then because I can feel the difference on all the necks ive played on. Super wizard seems thinner then wizard 2 on an RG321.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
I must be going mad then because I can feel the difference on all the necks ive played on. Super wizard seems thinner then wizard 2 on an RG321.
Thats because a wizard 2 is thicker! You said original wizard/super wizard ,these are the skinny necks. Wizard 2 is a different profile and is the profile i reffered to above as regular prestige neck. The wizard 2 name should never have been used for this profile as it confuses people and to me (and many others) the word 'wizard' means 17mm/19mm,flat back, super thin neck. I had a feeling you had them confused,as im sure many do at first.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 AM

"Super" refers to the construction, and not the profile. The Super Wizard and the original Wizard have the same profile.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
"Super" refers to the construction, and not the profile. The Super Wizard and the original Wizard have the same profile.
Thats exactly what i just explained Ayrton.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 PM

Aytrons explanation was more concise and less confusing. Yours was a single, hard to follow sentence more concerned with attempting to pour scorn on the wizard 2 than it was with explanation.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Aytrons explanation was more concise and less confusing. Yours was a single, hard to follow sentence more concerned with attempting to pour scorn on the wizard 2 than it was with explanation.
Second paragraph,post #4. Very easy to understand.

No scorn intended,i dont know what led you to that. Sorry it was an on going conversation that would have more sense if all post's had been read. I type is if im face to face with people sometimes,my apologies. The wizard name does confuse many,and will so again this year with the jap sites reffering to prestige necks as 'wizard'.

In closing i will say that if you want that famous neck profile that people often talk about,[email protected] fret and [email protected] 12th is the one.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 21

I find it funny that folks burn so hard on the Wizard 2 on Jemsite, yet it's probably the closest profile to a Jem neck. It's the big reason I like Indy guitars. The Wizard 2 isn't as slick, but it's width kind of helps you dig into notes and pull some soul out of them.
The Wizard1/Super Wizard are fast and you generally get a better fretboard on a MIJ guitar.
The current Wizard Prestige is like a hybrid of the two; comfortably in between.
The Jem neck feels noticeably fat by comparison, but it has a really sweet neck!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I find it funny that folks burn so hard on the Wizard 2 on Jemsite, yet it's probably the closest profile to a Jem neck. It's the big reason I like Indy guitars. The Wizard 2 isn't as slick, but it's width kind of helps you dig into notes and pull some soul out of them.
The Wizard1/Super Wizard are fast and you generally get a better fretboard on a MIJ guitar.
The current Wizard Prestige is like a hybrid of the two; comfortably in between.
The Jem neck feels noticeably fat by comparison, but it has a really sweet neck!
Totally agree Mike,100%. I certainly was'nt saying anything against the wizard 2,i've a quite a few myself. I also have a korean RGT which has the Jem's profile but with 400mR,it's great.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Reviews: 2

I've got a perhaps very stupid question:

Can you put a Wizard neck on a guitar designed for a Wizard 2? Or vice versa? I imagine there is some difference in the neck pocket or some other reason why it won't work.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
I've got a perhaps very stupid question:

Can you put a Wizard neck on a guitar designed for a Wizard 2? Or vice versa? I imagine there is some difference in the neck pocket or some other reason why it won't work.
Yes you can. Obviously you would only be able to put an AANJ original/super wizard onto an AANJ body . I have heard that sometimes the holes between Indo/Korean models and Jap models are in slightly different positions and sometimes need some re-drilling and some pockets are slightly wider/slimmer depending on the neck the guitar is originally equipped with. However these minor fitting problems are easily sorted out. I saw a guy a couple of weeks back with a 2006 Korean S520EX that had a 1994 S540LTD wizard neck fitted.

I have seen square heal 80's wizards fitted on late model AANJ models,though that takes a little work.

Tags
wizard super neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode