Oscar Schmidt Acoustics - Anybody know anything about 'em? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Oscar Schmidt Acoustics - Anybody know anything about 'em?

Hey guys. *I just bought an Oscar Schmidt OC-11 classical acoustic from a pawn shop for $65 (new strings included). *I have never heard of this brand name before. *Someone had definitely not taken care of it at all. *The tone was pretty good (not nearly as good as the Alvarez they had, but they wanted a fortune for it) but mostly it just needed new strings and a good cleaning. *It's got one small crack around the neck where it connects into the body, some scratches and a couple small dings.

Now on to my question. *Did I get a super deal on a rare guitar that may be worth a few million dollars (wishful thinking)? *Or did I get totally ripped on a piece of crap that is churned out by robots in Korea?

-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 10:37 AM

Oscar Schmidt Acoustics

...umm... it's a robotic Korean. *They sell for a few hundred new, depending on model.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Oscar Schmidt Acoustics

Quote:
JESTER700 on 10:37 am on April 20, 2002
...umm... it's a robotic Korean. *They sell for a few hundred new, depending on model.
Well.....that's what I figured. *:doh: Considering that I bought it as a novelty item, I guess it's not such a bad deal. *I know 5 (count 'em....5) classical pieces, so it's not like I'm gonna make a living with this thing. *Thanks, Jester.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 03:05 PM

Oscar Schmidt Acoustics

They're made by Washburn I believe (you can get to their site from Washburn's). *I have a small, student sized, steel-string acoustic by them. *It's basically a piece of crap IMHO, but I haven't heard much from them other than mine. *I've got a sound sample that I recorded using it in the "Gear and Equipment" section (under "Pro Tools Free"). *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 10:26 PM

Oscar Schmidt Acoustics

Cheap Koren piece of Schidt! But considering the price, you can get them to sound pretty muc hok for around the house stuff. A friend of mine has one and we jam around with it as a play guitar. It does the job, but not much more...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Oscar Schmidt Acoustics

I don't feel so bad then. *I bought it just to knock around the house with. *I'm not in a band. *I can't record anything (...YET!). *My living room has hardwood floors and is fairly devoid of soft, fluffy furniture so it's got great acoustics. *I played it in there today and it sounded fairly decent. *The three lower strings (brass wound nylon) sound particularly good. *The others would sound good if I had the fingernails to play them with (I bite mine...nasty habit, I know). *It's an absolute pain to tune. *I've had it several days now and have yet to get it to stay in tune for more than a few bars. *The joys of nylon...

-Jeff

Tags
lower strings , string acoustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode