Our first 7-string trem body - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Our first 7-string trem body

I was planning to add a trem to the line up in the fall, starting with the 6-string, but a custom order came in for a 7-string trem so we dove into the deep end first. We've been working on this for a few months now and we've finally got the body cut. It's routed for a Hipshot trem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:53 PM

Re: Our first 7-string trem body

Nice. I like those woods.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 PM

As clean as always Jim, Top work

Rob
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Is the hipshot trem floating? Got a pic of it !

Regards

André

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Is the hipshot trem floating? Got a pic of it !

Regards

André
No. They sent me one for design purposes and we've sent that back. THe one we're actually using is gold plated and I won't have it for another two or three weeks.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:46 PM

Nice craftmanship! Do you offer other body shapes? That shape just doesn't get it for me,,,, I think it's the lower horn that throws it off. Would like to see pics when it's all done.

~A
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Jim, Any other body shapes you're experimenting with?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
Jim, Any other body shapes you're experimenting with?
Not really. We're probably going to do a solid body the same basic shape but with rounded edges and we've been doing several with no sound hole (still chambered though), but other than that, I'm focused on smaller refinements to the existing model. Right now that's taking pretty much all the energy we can muster.

From a purely practical standpoint, this body shape works incredibly well. It allows us to build them incredibly light weight (our newest guitars are just over 5 lbs for a 6-string and 6.3 for a 7-string) and still keep them well balanced. They hang really nicely even on a polished leather strap. In addition to helping with the balance, the shape of the lower cut away provides easy access to the upper frets and allows it to play well sitting as well as standing. It's different enough that I know everyone isn't going to love it, but as long as enough do, that's just fine.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:10 PM

is that a one or a two peice body?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globbits
is that a one or a two peice body?
2 piece. I don't think a one piece body could handle the stress of either a 7-string or a trem.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:07 AM

Beautiful top Jim, and I love the swamp ash (who doesn't?). Is the trem going to be piezo equipped? That would be cool!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Beautiful top Jim, and I love the swamp ash (who doesn't?). Is the trem going to be piezo equipped? That would be cool!
No. At this point is an either or situation. I haven't figured out how to have both and keep the bridge stable.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 AM

That's awesome, Jim! Nice work.

I'm thinking with some thought you could get a piezo-trem to work. The Hipshot saddles look like they'd accomodate the Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles. What are the issues? Stability? How so? (Curious because Iv've thought alot about this same thing, but you're actually doing it.)

Again, very cool.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
That's awesome, Jim! Nice work.

I'm thinking with some thought you could get a piezo-trem to work. The Hipshot saddles look like they'd accomodate the Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles. What are the issues? Stability? How so? (Curious because Iv've thought alot about this same thing, but you're actually doing it.)

Again, very cool.
The problem is not the saddles. The Graph Tech saddles and the Hipshot saddles are interchangable. The problem, as always is what to do with the wires.

All of our non-trem guitars are built to be piezo-ready. Our standard bridge is custom milled for us by Hipshot. One of the custom features is a hole that's hidden under the saddle for the wire from each piezo saddle to pass through. Under the top there is a channel routed into the body that lines up directly under those holes that runs out to the control cavity. With the trem, that system doesn't work. That cavity would be under the front of the bridge and with the body has to be routed all the way through, it would weaken the body right at the point where it needs to be the strongest.

So the question becames, how to get the leads from the trem ver to the control cavity? You can't come through the bottom of the bridge because the wood's all been routed away for the spring cavity. I suppose you could bring the wires forward and run them through a channel about 3/4 inch in front of the bridge, but that would look incredibly messy with a lot of exposed wires. You'd still have to route a channel to the control cavity which means it would create a stress point in the body that I think is still too close to the bridge.

I think the real answer is either a different type of trem or even better, a different type of piezo that's not part of the saddle.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:01 PM

Why not have a single narrow channel that runs from the trem cavity into the bridge pickup cavity under the top? Then just bundle the wires together and run them through the pickup cavity into the control cavity.

Tags
body shape , bridge pickup , darren wilson , edge bridge , guitar mag , pickup cavity , spring cavity , swamp ash , trem guitar , upper fret , upper frets , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode