Out of tune - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Out of tune

Hi all, I have this RG750, but whenever I tune it, and the G-chord sounds perfect, I strike a C-chord or other and it's out of tune.
When I tune it in C its the other way around.

What does this mean??
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Out of tune

Check your intonation.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm quite new to the technical part of guitars.
I do not have a tuning device, this makes it hard for me to check the intonation
correctly, doesn't it?
To the ear it sounds pretty much ok, but I know they're not.
What would your next step be, buy a tuning device?

Thx
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM

It could very well be your technique. How long have you been playing?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 11

I suggest having a pro look at it if you don't know much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

@Musikron: Don't you think that if it was a technique issue, all the chords would be out of tune? :-D
That aside, I been playing for a few years, only on acoustic, so I'm pretty new with electric guitars.

And yeah, it might be best to have someone look at it who knows what he's talking about.

Thanks guys!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 PM

Not at all, different chords require different shapes. Without PERFECT finger placement you will pull notes out of tune. An electric guitar has a much lighter action than an acoustic, so it is very likely you are fretting with a heavy hand.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Nah, I don't think so, cause I also have an Ibanez Gio, and that one sounds just perfect, all chords...
Besides, I wouldn't wanna waste your valuable time asking this if the possibility was there that it could be human error :-D
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezi View Post
Nah, I don't think so, cause I also have an Ibanez Gio, and that one sounds just perfect, all chords...
Besides, I wouldn't wanna waste your valuable time asking this if the possibility was there that it could be human error :-D
LOL---here you go, bud--check out this guide. It will help you tons!

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/intonation.htm

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Sounds like intonation problem. A quick way to check is to tune,then play a D chord (not the bar, the one with open D string). then play those 3 fretted noted 12 frets higher with the open D string again and see if it sounds in tune. If it sounds in tune the 1st way but not the 2nd way, you are probably in need of a intonation set up. You can do the same with say, Em chord or a G.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Since you're not using a tuner, have you considered that your guitar may not be in tune? If you've only played an acoustic before, you may be used to how to tune a guitar with a fixed bridge. When you get a guitar with any sort of floating bridge, the tuning becomes much more difficult. By the time you get to the high #, the low E is most likely out of tune. There's a certain technique to tuning a guitar with a floating bridge quickly.

Tags
chords , tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode