Ovation guitars. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Ovation guitars.

I'm looking for an acoustic guitar. I want a quality one where the tuning pegs will not be going out of tune. But I want one that plays easy, like my electric guitars. It doesn't have to have auditorium type volume, since I don't perform. Just loud enough for a small crowd.

What about Ovation? I see they have a shallow bodied guitar. Are they good? Do they play easy? I'll probably put electric guitar strings on whatever I buy since, like I said, volume is not an issue.

thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 08:00 AM

Re: Ovation guitars.

yeah they are excellent.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 08:24 AM

IMO Ovations are made to be played plugged in and don't sound so good acousticly. It seems like you're not really concerned with how it sounds so yes an Ovation might be a good choice. They play excellent.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 AM

I had an ovation and didnt get on with it, the nut width was too narrow.
if I were to buy again I would get a 'cheapie' washburn or takamine semi.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 AM

I have an ovation shallow bowl, and it plays a lot like an electric, very easy to play. Like Rotti said, they do sound 100 times better pluged in, but after searching for good strings for it I found John Pearse strings make it sound large and acoustic unplugged. If you have never played an Ovation before, the round back is a bit to get used to. It plays a lot easier standing than sitting. It does have a roughed area on the back to help keep it situated on your leg when sitting, and that helps. All and all I think it would serve your purpose well. Check one out. chef21
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Well to show both sides, Elcid I think has always said the tone sounds like it's plastic or something to that affect.

I however (while not owning an acoustic Ovation myself, but a 70's solid body electric model), think they're very nice sounding guitars - plugged and unplugged. However if you'd like to go unplugged, make sure to get a deep bowl model.

The sound is HARD to get used to though. It's not bad (depending on the sound a player is looking for), just different. Don't expect thumping bass you would out of a Martin D-18 or D-28 (which I do own). It's a very balanced sound.

If you don't have TONS of money, go for a Balladeer model (I'm only referring to the USA models because as always Korean won't show the true quality).

I do like the new Elite LX series VERY much though. They play well, feel good, and can be "shred on" much easier than my Martin.

I've felt guilty about almost wanting to trade my D-18 for an Ovation of some kind.

If you have LOTS of money to spend, the carbon fiber topped Adamas' are some of the best sounding acoustics I've just played over-all.

But like I've said, the sound can take some time to get used to. I remember HATING the sound of the first Ovation acoustics I've played.

Last edited by Drow Swordsman; 04-08-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Typos...yay..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM

I have one, sounds good, so it is good!!

not expensive, or consider a GODIN electro-acoustic guitar

www.mesguitares.cjb.net
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow Swordsman View Post
Well to show both sides, Elcid I think has always said the tone sounds like it's plastic or something to that affect.
I feel the same way. It needs to be plugged in.
Quote:
However if you'd like to go unplugged, make sure to get a deep bowl model.
+1 I was going to say the same thing.
Quote:
If you don't have TONS of money, go for a Balladeer model (I'm only referring to the USA models because as always Korean won't show the true quality).
I've played both and the Korean's are indeed crap, IMHO. That's why I'm trying to get rid of mine. They're garbage.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 PM

You ought to give the Ovation Elite 1778T a try. It has a medium bowl, a neck that feels and plays like and electric, and a built in tuner. I like the way it sounds unplugged and plugged.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 01:32 PM

As with any guitar brand, try to play the one you buy, if you can.

I own two older Adamas models, and I really like them. I've also played some excellent lower-end Ovations/Celebrity models (but the quality will vary a lot at this end of the spectrum). If you pick the right one and it is set up right, you will have no problems with playability (if you are ok with the neck profile). The good news is that Ovations can be had pretty cheap if you go used.

Re the sound, as others have pointed out, it's a balanced sound. Good for fingerpicking.

Play a bunch if you can and see if you like them...

wemedge

Tags
acoustic guitar , electric guitar , sounding guitar , tuning pegs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode