P-Rails in a RG370DX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

P-Rails in a RG370DX

I just got an RG370DX yesterday and I am already considering the replacement of the stock pick ups on them. I wondered how a Seymour Duncan P-Rails (SHPR-1) pick up at the bridge position would sound on it. Anyone has tried this pick up on this range of Ibanez models, what are the connection schematics you chose, do you have some sound samples to share?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: P-Rails in a RG370DX

I just got a p rail for the neck of my tele. its ****in hot! Sounds great with my little '59 in the bridge. But for an ibanez rg370dx i would go with something different. something with a more modern cutting edge vibe.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 AM

I installed a P-rail in an R540 Basswood that I had re-finished. Although I liked the sound overall, I think there are other Duncan's and Dimarzio's that sound much better. Out of the three different sounds it produces, I was fond of one in particular and the other two not so much. Keep in mind you may need to compromise your guitar with a three-way toggle. I don't use tone controls so I used that space for the switch. The debate is still out (I'd like to hear other opinions about this too) but I found the P excessively noisy. More so than the other pups I have coil tapped. I ended up installing an old Dimarzio FRED that I had stashed for about 15 years and forgotten about, along with a new Air Norton and they match and sound beautiful together. I also wired them with push-pull pots for series/parellel sound and really like this option too.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest4 View Post
I installed a P-rail in an R540 Basswood that I had re-finished. Although I liked the sound overall, I think there are other Duncan's and Dimarzio's that sound much better. Out of the three different sounds it produces, I was fond of one in particular and the other two not so much. Keep in mind you may need to compromise your guitar with a three-way toggle. I don't use tone controls so I used that space for the switch. The debate is still out (I'd like to hear other opinions about this too) but I found the P excessively noisy. More so than the other pups I have coil tapped. I ended up installing an old Dimarzio FRED that I had stashed for about 15 years and forgotten about, along with a new Air Norton and they match and sound beautiful together. I also wired them with push-pull pots for series/parellel sound and really like this option too.
Much of this doesn't surprise me all that much. Although I have no experience with the P-Rail, I have found coil-splitting humbuckers to be an extremely hit-or-miss proposition. In addition, I know that actual P90s tend to be crazy noisy, so I'm not surprised that a humbucker coil that's designed to sound like one would be as well.

All that having been said, I've been kicking around the idea of giving these a shot, and I think you just reminded me of why they're probably not for me. Time to pick out another Dimarzio to try!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:34 PM

I like mine allot. all three positions sound great especially with the little '59. Im very impressed. I can get SG tones and (im going to go out on a limb here) ES-345 sounds too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Okay, I'm very biased on this subject, but I've got these in a 540S (HSH), a Yamaha Ty Tabor model (HSS with Duncan Tripleshot ring), and I'm in the middle of putting them in a strat. I love the versatility and honestly expect some noise out of any tapped coil. The humbucker in parallel is just awesome. I like the single and P90 sounds too, yes the P90 especially can be noisy, but that's what p90s are, overwould single coil pickups, so you're going to get some noise.

As for setup, my 540S is setup to do either coil or just in parallel and the Tripleshot mounting ring on the Ty Tabor gives the options of either coil, parallel, or series. In the strat I'm going to H-H with a 3 way toggle replacing one of the Tone controls for p90-Humbucker-Rail selection(I've never like the 2 tone controls on strats anyway) and a push/pull on the other tone control for series/parallel humbucker.

The best info (albeit somewhat biased) will be on the Seymour Duncan User Group Forum - they have a lot of wiring schematics and opinions over there. Also, Jemsiter FrankFalbo is an excellent resource.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 PM

In my opinion I think they have a vintage vibe. You cant go wrong with them but if it was me I would be more interested in a pickup with more harmonics and straight up edgy punch. Not that they don't provide that but in a ibby with locking trem I would want more scream, extreme harmonics, and that modern punch not vintage warmth.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 04:10 PM

I like them in Basswood, I have a couple Radius guitars with them, and of course if you're talking about a bolt-on Basswood guitar with a Floyd Rose style trem, it can't produce the most authentic P90 tone, since we associate that tone with Mahogany and set necks generally. But I like it just fine in there. As a humbucker, it's a pretty big, modern tone, retaining top and bottom end due to the coil mismatch. Its kind of like a woofer and a tweeter. I'd definitely consider the Triple Shot ring if I were you, opening up all four sounds from that pickup is worthwhile, and the TS makes it so you can leave the rest of the wiring alone, including disabling the "auto split" wire from the 5-way switch for the bridge pickup.

As for the noise, each coil is quieter than their vintage counterparts. The P90 is quieter than a P90, the rail coil is quieter than a vintage strat pickup. The surrounding metal and overall construction of the pickup makes each coil a little quieter than if it were just sitting out there by itself. But there is definitely single coil noise.

Tags
p-rails , rg370dx , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode