PAF Pro in UCEW, what were they thinking? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

PAF Pro in UCEW, what were they thinking?

I know its all subjective and everything but... Looking at the specs on the Paf Pro from Dimarzios site, and the fact there is a 1/2" maple cap on the UCEW, no wonder the highs are so prominent. The PAFs are all highs and little mids/lows. I was wondering why it was sizzling through my Mesa F50 as compared to my Wolfgang.

I am looking for a replacement bridge humbucker to get a beefy even sound. I know TZ's are popular but how about a Steves Special. I remember how great that sounded in the JPM (all basswood) but do you think it will sound good in a mahogany/maple guitar? Any other suggestions?

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:42 PM

Well...at the time the UCEWs were made, they were probably thinking "What's the overall most well-rounded DiMarzio that we can get a tone of?"

I've had good luck with the TZ/AN combo in a few of the UCEWs that I've had. I've tried the SS/AN combo as well, and was equally pleased.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:49 PM

The UCEW's with the 1/2" maple tops are a little more challenging to find pickups for, in my experience. I've have some trial & error in this department, and here's where I've come out:

My pref is towards the TZ over the SS in mahogany/maple guitars... mahogany and maple tend to accent the lows & highs, and since the SS has a pretty scooped EQ curve, there's relatively little mids left when all is said & done. The TZ feels a little more balanced. Either the Air Norton or PAF Pro make a good match with the TZ.

Another good choice for a bridge pickup in a mahogany/maple guitar is a Super 3 (which is hotter than the TZ). The Super 3 with a FRED is a great combination as well.

Finally, the Breed bridge might be a good candidate. Of all the UCEW's I had, I think I've had Breeds in them more often than not. Slightly lower output than TZ/SS, but very warm, which is a plus with 1/2" of maple following you around.

--B
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, you're probably right on that aspect as far as availability. It just seems strange to put a pu with tons of highs in a guitar that emphasizes the highs already.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, thanks for the info B. I considered the Breeds as well but was a little concerned they aren't hot enough. Don't get me wrong, I don't want EMG 81 type of gain but something hot.

BTW, I really dig the PAF Pro in the neck position. It seems to work well there because the lows are naturally emphasized by neck position. I can really dig in and get those percussive tones for blues/rock type of stuff.

Tags
air norton , breed bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , neck position , paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode