Paint finish question on RG Prestige... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Paint finish question on RG Prestige...

I recently bought a RG655-CBM after not owning an Ibamez for over a decade, I'm suprised how poor the finish is on the body, which made want to ask if its normal as I'm waiting on a JEM777 30th aniversary in loch ness green, as they are made
In same factory I'm hoping this reissue will not be as poorly made?

As for the issue, just you can see the lines in or under the paint in the body, looks terrible under the light. Dont really know if jts strange grain in the wood or just crap paint.

Guitar plays nice now its set up better as guitar shop that sold it me gave the neck no relief so it was fretting out badly, action was way too low too, plays much better now its all been set up by myself :-)

So anyone else had this issue I've mentioned, and should I be worried about the reissue finish as its 3.5 times the pricr lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 PM

Re: Paint finish question on RG Prestige...

Without pics it's hard to tell but maybe the body is made of 2 or more pieces. If that's the case you get lines in the paint no matter what.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I will try and get some but its not lines along the grain of the wood, they at different angles to each other, so unless its made from some oddly sized wood lol

Let me try and get a picture.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Vendor

If they're like ripples it should be a second and got missed on inspection [in the US, just noticed, you're not]
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Just tried to upload some images but they are too big so i will have to do it while im on a computer tomorrow.

They are like ripples that run the lengh of the body, top coat on the paint looks to be smooth, so its in the actual wood. They look terrible.

Guitar is brand new, but was old stock as I bought it cheap over the interent 799 instead of 1099, so I can live with it for the price but was really sad to see this is one of the best they can do?

As i say ripples, like not properly finished would surface.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Vendor

Would have been a second in the US.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

What does that mean, it would have been a second?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Vendor

It means they would have stamped an S in the back of the headstock and not sold it as a new first quality guitar.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, learnt something new today :-)

The main point is the guitar plays perfect, which I am happy with, the finish isnt ideal but wouldnt throw it in the bin because of it.

It could just be just natural finish of the wood, let me get some images up before comdem it to the bin :-)

Its hard to explain the what I'm seeing as it might sound worse than it is.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Vendor

If it was bad enough to start thins thread, it's a second. That does not put it in the trash, it makes it sell different, and much cheaper, which, you at least got a deal.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Agreed, If I had paid full current retail I might have had a bit of a moan, but as it was "old, new stock" and I got it for old retail price which is currently 27% cheaper, If I say I'm not happy with it they will just offer the refund not a replacment, so I have to be realistic in this situation.

When you put the guitar under the light and move it backwards and forwards you can see the lines in the base, looking across the paint looks flat polished etc.

Appreciate all the replys.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:31 PM

If it sounds great and plays great AND you got a deal, then to me that is a win. Nicely done!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah not stressing about it, just wondering if its common and if my new jem777 will be like it.

Took a quick video, really hard to make out the lines but you can see the refraction of light from the room light etc.

Let us know what you think?

https://youtu.be/EILs9flq-DQ
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Vendor

It's a second
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Well at least I wasnt being too pedantic about and It was a real issue. Oh well nothing I can do about it, luckly its worse on the back than the front, so I can live with it for a 300 saving :-)

Just hope my 30th anniversary JEM has better quality control :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode