paint wearing off hardware on my new RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

paint wearing off hardware on my new RG

...as I was ready for it from reading about it...I kinda like it!...it's only happening on the screwheads around the middle pickup, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time! I'm pretty good about wiping down the guitar after each use, and back into it's sweet case if it's not in my hands....I guess 2 hours a day of practice will do that!

How much can I expect to wipe off?...will this happen to the knobs as well?...oh yeah, it's a 2005 RG 2550EGK. It might look lame if the volume and tone knobs go a funky metal color, but if the bridge dicolors, I don't see why the knobs won't....oh well! I don't really mind.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 05:47 AM

Re: paint wearing off hardware on my new RG

dude we're on the same boat! I have my RG2550egk for 20 days and I already notice that some discoloration in the bridge where I rest my palm. I don't think that the same thing will happen in the knobs but it's only a matter of time before my bridge completely turns white. It's not a big deal for me tho
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

..yeah, it's not as big a thing as I would have thought. It's not like it's rusting or anything...no discoloration on the bridge yet for me, but when it does I hope it goes a gunmetal color like the screws...white?...yikes!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:46 PM

my six year old jems hardware is in great condistion, it looks a little 'bumpy' though
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

...I'm thinking that discoloring metal isn't a huge deal but my other 15 year old guitar hasn't discolored like my RG will. I wonder why they went with this kind of metal finish...you'd think a Prestige guitar would have a lil more stamina!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:50 PM

my locking nut changed colour totally (yes, to brown) after 1st week of usage
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablowablo
dude we're on the same boat! I have my RG2550egk for 20 days and I already notice that some discoloration in the bridge where I rest my palm. I don't think that the same thing will happen in the knobs but it's only a matter of time before my bridge completely turns white. It's not a big deal for me tho
Me too. The edge running along very top of the trem, from the knife edge to the curve at the back is going white. Methinks i palm-mute too much
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:47 PM

You must be playing the guitar to much,,, maybe you should put it away and never play it again....

My wear is sort of a badge of honor,,,I'm sure the guinness I dring may not be helping much though...

~A
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarilovesyou
...as I was ready for it from reading about it...I kinda like it!...it's only happening on the screwheads around the middle pickup, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time! I'm pretty good about wiping down the guitar after each use, and back into it's sweet case if it's not in my hands....I guess 2 hours a day of practice will do that!

How much can I expect to wipe off?...will this happen to the knobs as well?...oh yeah, it's a 2005 RG 2550EGK. It might look lame if the volume and tone knobs go a funky metal color, but if the bridge dicolors, I don't see why the knobs won't....oh well! I don't really mind.

Any thoughts?
Mine is a RG2550EX VBB 2004 Beautiful axe, but i think that "discoloring" happends to every cosmo black hardware, my vol knob it's fading off because i used to do a lot of vol swells and my edge pro is fading out color too cuz' of my palm. I was kind of unhappy first but now i'm getting used to it.

Tags
cosmo black hardware , locking nut , prestige guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode