Parker Fly Forum? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Parker Fly Forum?

As some of you may know, i got Parker Fly Classic for Christmas. Now that my finger is (mostly) healed, I'm finally getting my hands on this awesome guitar.

Although the Parker is different 'animal' than a traditional guitar, I'm finding that it's got a very similar feel, playing wise, so my Ibanez guitars. Has anybody else noticed this?

I'm curious to know if there are many others here who own one (or more)...maybe now that Dave W's forum has moved offsite, Glen could find his way to a separate Parker forum here on Jemsite if there are enough here who could benefit from it.

So...roll call...how many Parker owners/players do we have here on Jemsite?

~K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 PM

Re: Parker Fly Forum?

I have a Fly Deluxe. They are very cool guitars!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 PM

I have a Parker Nite-Fly which I got about 10 years ago. It's still looks and plays like the day I got it. With the exception of one minor incident. The bb string holder thing in one of the saddles fell out so I had to order a new saddle. I never got the piezo soldered in again. It's a very nice $1000 + or - guitar.

I swapped out the neck pup for a dimarzio single humbucker and the bridge pup for a Tone Zone.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrie
I have a Parker Nite-Fly which I got about 10 years ago. It's still looks and plays like the day I got it. With the exception of one minor incident. The bb string holder thing in one of the saddles fell out so I had to order a new saddle. I never got the piezo soldered in again. It's a very nice $1000 + or - guitar.

I swapped out the neck pup for a dimarzio single humbucker and the bridge pup for a Tone Zone.
I was under the impression that you couldn't swap out pickups in Parkers. Maybe that's just for the single-bodies?

~K
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:52 PM

You can order any DiMarzio you want for the Parker, you just have to ask for them to be made for the Parker. I believe the additional part code is PH. Eric might know, he's a DiMarzio dealer.... Eric?
I wanted to go play one today, and couldn't find one anywhere near me. I played a Fly Deluxe about 7 years ago for an hour and loved it, but couldn't afford it. I'd love to have a high quality piezo something or other. I'm starting to gas for one of these ;-)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

weird. I'll have to get to the bottom of that.

Maybe they need to have a lower profile to fit the thin body.

The accessibility to the piezo on the one gig i've done with it is SO incredible. I made a preset on my pre-amp so i can literlly got from full-on lead distortion to acoustic in less than 1 second.

How do the Double Edge bridges compare sonically to what eve is in the Parker? Has anybody A/B'd them?

I'm VERY curious.
~Kenny
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:26 AM

Kenny,

you have a Red parker right? I checked out the forum and saw it with yourBFP and a prestiege with a vine (?).

I got to say, being an AVID Ibanez lover for the past 6 years, Parkers have runied me! I got a nite-fly M and I love it so much I'm selling my 570 and 421 to get a neck through delux or classic.

When I picked my 570 up again it felt massive and really heavy and clunky. So, personally I dont think they feel anyrhing like Ibanez - but thats just me. I dont use the piezo really, because I like the pups in it so much and I cant really get a decent sound from it, is there some way you can make it louder by turning a nob inside the guitar?

As for pickups, I dont see the logic in paying a lot of money for a guitar and changing out the pups. However in the Flys you canget them 're-wound' to you specifications, apparently.

I have tone zone- Air Norton combo in my 421, and my fly has (apparently) got pups moddelled on there pups in it. The fly sounds SO much better it is unbeleviable.

Please note - any opinions expressed by thewriter are HEAVILY biased because he fell in love with parkers the first time he ever saw them (11 years old) and it took me 10 years to part with the cash, but man was it worth it! I WILL be getting more ofthese guitars.

Bigjob
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Reviews: 1

I wonder: Do they make 24 frets Flies?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Mine is 24 frets.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 06:43 PM

Nite-Flys take regular sized pups as opposed to the Flys, which need the custom size.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Ken, how's the neck on that compared to the 8670, or even the 550?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

wouldn't it make more sense to have like a "parker fly" mega thread where everything Parker can be posted & quickly searched/printed?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Ken, how's the neck on that compared to the 8670, or even the 550?
The neck is a little thinner, actually....but i miss the wood. Everything about the 8670 feels bulkier when i pick it up after playing the Parker...Although, I still reached for it (8670) when it was time to do Comfortably Numb at the end fo the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
wouldn't it make more sense to have like a "parker fly" mega thread where everything Parker can be posted & quickly searched/printed?
Yeah...that'd be nice...if anybody actually bothered to USE the 'search' function
PS: What pickups should i put in my 550? I play metal.

~K
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
The neck is a little thinner, actually....but i miss the wood. Everything about the 8670 feels bulkier when i pick it up after playing the Parker...Although, I still reached for it (8670) when it was time to do Comfortably Numb at the end fo the night.

Yeah...that'd be nice...if anybody actually bothered to USE the 'search' function
PS: What pickups should i put in my 550? I play metal.

~K
A stickied Parker thread would be cool, but my feeling is that folks would wander over to the Parker forums eventually for strictly Parker info. Might be handy for Parker-Ibanez specific discussions though, like neck comparisions and differences between the Parker piezos and the Double Edge, and such.

And definitely you want to put TV Jones FilterTrons in that 550. None more Metal! ;-)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:42 AM

I used to own a Parker Fly Deluxe in Antique Gold. Loved the neck, arguably the best in the business with those stainless frets. Didn't much care for the finish on the back of it. But what really got me was the point on the back of the upper horn, it hit me square in my sternum and really became uncomfortable. Sure it was light as heck and felt good in my hands, but the pain from playing for any length of time over 20 minutes became really distracting. Granted, I wear my guitar way too high to be considered cool, but I was unwilling to compromize. But the neck....ohhh the neck.

Tags
air norton , air norton combo , bobbin toppers , bridge pup , double edge bridge , edge bridge , ibanez guitars , neck pup , parker fly , parker fly classic , parker fly deluxe , stainless frets , tone zone , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode