Parker guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Parker guitars

now i know this is an ibanez site but i just have a few questions.

i played a parker fly deuxe yesterday and i fell in love with it im normaly a js kinda guy so i was very suprised.

i loved everythin about it (pitty about the price)

i was just wonderin can any1 give me there opions on build and sound and playability and also does any1 have a link to a good unofiicial parker site.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 06:10 AM

I actually played one of their cheapy Korean P38s and kinda liked it. I haven't played one of the better ones yet, but I'm sure they're nice. There just definitely a specific market. Either you love them or hate them.

Darren Wilson has one, he probably could comment better than I can.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 06:31 AM

I've heard nothing but good about them... well, except for the price... but I've heard they play like champs and everything. That's just what I heard... Don't take my word. I'm tired.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 06:35 AM

I played a Nitefly M a couple of weeks back and had to run out of the shop before G.A.S got the better of me. Very nice indeed. Natural mahogany body, twin Dimarzio humbuckers and the usual (bolt on) reinforced neck. The frets seemed a lot chunkier than any Parker I've played before too. It sounded great, really tight and focussed with a great woody quality from the unfinised body.
If the price of a deluxe is simply too much then it might be worth checking one of these out. I really liked it!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 07:34 AM

I had a classic and thought it was an incredible guitar (especially the piezo tone). I have one friend who complains about problems with his (neck & other various adjustments, etc).
Greg
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 07:45 AM

I have a NiteFly (Swamp Ash) and I love it.
The fretboard and frets were the key sellers for me- it really is like playing on glass (which I guess you kinda are).
The sounds that come out of this thing are fantastic, too- very clean and glassy (& stratty) with the 2 single-coils, and the humbucker has a spongy and vowel-like aggressive tone. Kinda like a Tone Zone. Piezo's rock through a solid-state amp, but I find tube amps color and warm up the Piezo's too much.

-Ben
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallopwallop
I played a Nitefly M a couple of weeks back and had to run out of the shop before G.A.S got the better of me. Very nice indeed. Natural mahogany body, twin Dimarzio humbuckers and the usual (bolt on) reinforced neck. The frets seemed a lot chunkier than any Parker I've played before too. It sounded great, really tight and focussed with a great woody quality from the unfinised body.
If the price of a deluxe is simply too much then it might be worth checking one of these out. I really liked it!!
yeah that's the one I really like.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 07:50 AM

You could probably do a search and find more detailed posts, but i'll summarize quickly:

I do indeed have a Fly Classic, and it rocks. The pickups are based on the Tone Zone and Air Norton, with minor tweaks so they work better with the super-light body and piezos. It sounds amazing, especially when you split the magnetics and piezos and run them through their own rigs. Playability-wise, it's second to none. Even if you don't care much for painted necks, the glass-like feel of the stainless steel frets makes up for it. (Anybody notice that Warmoth is now offering stainless steel fretwire on their necks?)

I have had zero problems with mine. Tuning is rock solid. I'm not a heavy trem user, but i tuned up in January, and literally didn't have to retune until April. I have heard about people having problems with the finish and with frets coming unglued, but so far (knock wood) i haven't had any of these difficulties.

They are expensive, but for some reason, they don't hold their resale value well these days. Consider picking one up used on eBay. If i were going to buy one today, i'd probably get the NiteFly M... amazing bang for the buck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 08:04 AM

In the opinion of those of you who own one or have played one... how would you compare it to a 7VWH... sound and playability?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:16 AM

It's kind of hard to compare... the two guitars are different in almost every way. Woods, construction, hardware, pickups, electronics... they have nothing in common.

Having never played a VWH, i can't give you a subjective comparison between the two. You'd have to play them both yourself and base your comparison on your own needs and preferences.

One thing i will say about the Fly is that it's a very balanced, neutral instrument that seems to be engineered to get the most out of the strings and the wood (and the player's fingers) with minimal colouration of the sound. It's very pure sounding.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 11:37 PM

I have had first hand experience with both guitars recently (Jem, and fly).

IMO (keep in mind, my opinion) they fly plays nicer. The neck and the frets ARE the selling points! The piezo is a nice bonus. However, the thin neck isnt for everyone, personally I favour a more round and gripping neck.

When I can afford one, I most certainly will look to pick one up off of ebay. IT's a shame these beauties do lose their value because I think it is an amzing piece of craftsmanship. Ive heard that getting fretwork done on these things requires sending it away which could pose a problem.

Definately play one, you may fall in love with the neck!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2002, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini8026
When I can afford one, I most certainly will look to pick one up off of ebay. IT's a shame these beauties do lose their value because I think it is an amzing piece of craftsmanship.
That's a funny thing to say...I'd think that you'd be happy that they lose their value if you were looking to pick one up off Ebay ~ lower price...for a gutiar that really doesn't age - the neck is set, the frets are solid steel, so they don't wear - getting one used is almost like getting one new if you think about it - as long as the guitar itself hasn't been beaten into submission.

Now - onto my opinion...Korg is a distributor for Parker. Korg's main offices are here on Long Island. A few years ago, in Sam Ash, A guy came in with oneof the first production ones - just a regular Black one. At that point in time, I was still kind of a beginner...I fell in love with it. I actually felt like i could play on it and sound good. The neck felt "right" in my hands in the same was Ibanez necks do. The Piezo sounds more like an acoustic than any other piezo I've ever heard.

The one draw back is the aesthetics. That top horn is kinda weird looking AND (worse), when you sit down and play it, the corner is extremely uncomfortable - it digs right into your diapragm and bottom of your ribcage. Fortunately, it's very light and easy to play standing up. I also have a hard time playing wtihout fret markers on the board itself. The side dots are a good frame of reference, but i need a big fat obvious reminder of where 5,7, 12 and 15 are.

~Kenny
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 12:38 PM

i agree with the aesthetics part ken, it looks like a weird guitar....i can't explain it.
Closed Thread

Tags
air norton , darren wilson , dimarzio humbuckers , fret markers , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , mahogany body , parker fly , sam ash , stainless steel frets , steel frets , swamp ash , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode