Parker Guitars, Darren can ya help? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Parker Guitars, Darren can ya help?

I just checked out the specs on the new Fly's

Amazing, I have to own one of these suckers. They are the most versatile Axes out there!

ONE problem, I HATE painted necks. Would it be safe to Scotch brite or lightly steal wool off the clearcoat for a smoother feel?

It's an anoyance and If im gonna plunk down 2500$ cdn on a new Parker, I want it to be pretty close to PERFECT!!!

Any solutions that you are aware of to remedy its problem, have u done anything to your Parker to mod it, I recall hearing u talk highly of it!

Thanks for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:48 AM

My Parker is bone stock. Parkers are fairly notorious for having thin finishes that can be fragile at times. (On my Fly Classic, you can actually see the weave of the carbon/glass fibre on the back if the light catches it in the right way.)

The problem is there isn't wood under that finish... it's the carbon/glass fibre weave between the finish and the wood. It might not be too healthy for the guitar or for your hand to expose that.

Personally, i love the feel of a raw wood neck as well, but to be honest, having a gloss finish hasn't bothered me one bit on the Parker or on my Dean.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 1
2 words for you...

Talcum Powder.

get a nice absorbant cloth and coat it with talc, use that on the back of the neck to dry off the neck and make it smoother to play on.

Bamm
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 01:48 PM

Probably wouldn't hurt to use a bit on your hand, too.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:43 AM

I prefer raw wood necks too, and my parker felt just fine to me (when I owned it). If you like Ibanez type necks, you will absolutely fall in love with a Parker neck...they are simply flawless.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 09:46 AM

I hear your concern about the painted neck. I can't stand them either. All of my bolt on Ibanez are natural and sanded as well. The Parker has a great feel to it. Not tacky or sticky at all. It is the only painted neck that I can stand. Have you played one yet? Give it a shot. I would recommend against doing any kind of sanding, modifying to the paint on the neck

Ron
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 10:33 PM

what do u all think of parker guitars??
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 10:45 PM

Do a search and you'll find a fair bit of commentary on Parkers.

The composite neck models are great, but the P-series isn't worth the money.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:34 AM

Ok, I'm newbie-ish and I was wondering, see when you say "sanded and natural" does that mean you've sanded down the neck to the wood, through whatever was covering it (gloss, paint, whatever) and left the wood blank?

Thanks!
Joe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 02:03 PM

do not worry about the painted necks
i was suspicious myself until i played one. unless you sweat like a dirty pig, those are not a problem. buy safe
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 02:07 PM

In my experience, if you keep your neck clean and polished, you won't have any problems. Raw wood always feels nice, but i've never had an issue with painted necks. There are more significant factors that impede (or enhance) playability than the neck finish.

The stainless steel frets and carbon fibre fretboard on the good Parkers more than compensate for anything else you might not like about the neck. It'd be nice if they could use the same matte finish on the fretboard on the back of the neck as well.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7
what do u all think of parker guitars??
Very innovative, definitely comfortable. excellent piezo tones, somewhat sterile sounding magnetic tones. The trem would clunk often transferring noise through the pickups. Best necks in the business, bar none, nice flat radius, stainless frets, but with some meat on the bone regarding neck shape. Too expensive.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 05:27 PM

I actually perfer painted necks, just for cosmetic purposes. I haven't really played any painted necks that gave me a problem.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:39 AM

ntie fly

i opted for the nite fly sa. and it is my main guitar and i cant imagine the guitar it would take a back seat to. Versitle, comfortable and a tone monster
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 04:20 AM
Ice

parker

if you are going to spend 2500 just get a custom shop parker w/o the painted neck easy as that.

Tags
brian moore , custom guitar , custom shop , kirk hammet , neck finish , neck shape , parker guitars , shred guitars , stainless frets , stainless steel frets , steel frets , tone monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode