Parker Guitars - Too perfect? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 09:19 PM

Parker Guitars

I agree the Parker neck is very fast!!

* The Parker Fly is a very good guitar! It's just a completley different animal than the Jem. Not better Not Worse just different.

I know I got a red hot screaming deal on mine, the point was if you are patient and vey lucky you can make a good score.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 10:37 PM

Parker Guitars

No, I didn't - my bad. *Meant to, but started typing prematurely...

Anyway, great article. *I wonder where I heard that about the neck stability. *I know I've heard it a couple places, and not in a derogatory way (you know, like - "Parker necks suck, that's why they need that hard paint, or they'd warp...") - more like "this is what they had to do, and it's cool".

Good to hear that it ISN'T needed so critically - less worry if the paint chips. *One day...
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 02:56 PM

Reviews: 3
Parker Guitars

I plan to buy one down the road and customize it. *Probably round off the upper horn on the back side a bit... see if I can do a few other mods. *I love those guitars in many ways...
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 06:00 PM

Parker Guitars

I'll agree that they do have weak finishes, and I'm not real crazy about a lot of the colors they have to offer. *But big deal, you can refinish it. *You can't get stainless steel frets installed on your Jem.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 09:03 PM

Parker Guitars

I know this might sound funny but my biggest problem with the Parkers was they seem to be made for "smaller" guys.

I'm kind of a "big" guy with "big" hands, big "dumb" hands. I felt like I had a piece of styrofoam around my neck. I just couldn't do it. I'm sure someone with more finesse then me (read: anyone hehe) would not have a problem.

They just felt too slight and small for me.

But hey, that's just me.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 09:52 PM

Parker Guitars

That's valid. *It's the same reason I don't like all the old classics - Teles, Strats, and Pauls. *They're either too heavy or too big for me.

So I dig Sabres, Radiuses, and the Fly.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 08:41 PM

Parker Guitars

Iīm a proud owner of a Parker Fly Deluxe w/vibrato.
I bought it few years ago (1996 I think) and I just love it!
It feels great and sounds better.

But I love Ibanez guitars too. Thatīs why I bought a JPM few months ago. It sounds very good and looks amazing, but it doesnīt compare to my Parker Fly; the construction of the Parker Fly is way better than the JPM, the sounds are similar, the Parker Fly is a more versatile guitar and ,IMO, it has more sustain (it doesnīt have locking nut) and itīs easier for changing strings and tuning.
What I like about my JPM is the wood/unfinished neck (it feels great) and the pickup switch position....oh, and the awesome look of it!!
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:53 PM

Parker Guitars

As much as I (we) all like Ibanez guitars, for the prices that we pay, they really aren't made very well.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 02:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Parker Guitars

Quote:
Quote: from jay ratkowski on 2:56 pm on July 30, 2001
I plan to buy one down the road and customize it. *Probably round off the upper horn on the back side a bit... see if I can do a few other mods. *I love those guitars in many ways...
Don't forget to paint it blue :rotf:...glen
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:14 PM

Parker Guitars

Quote:
Quote: from jeffrey on 1:53 pm on Aug. 1, 2001
As much as I (we) all like Ibanez guitars, for the prices that we pay, they really aren't made very well.
In some way's I agree, In other's I don't

They are made well, I don't have any complaints about the joint work or the hardware (with the guitars I've owned)
I sometimes think people want a guitar made to spec by the 0.00000005 of a millimetre, but not me.

My only slight gripe is the JEM/RG body "edges", they could do with more contouring, but that's for Steve to decide as far as the JEM.

The Parker's don't really appeal to me to be honest.
I suppose I'm too old fashioned, but there is just too much of a "let's look to the future" aspect about them.
I don't wan't an ekowhatever neck, I wan't a solid piece of wood that the earth has provided (no I ain't a hippy)
I don't want to have a degree to understand the options the guitar can offer me, because my only concern is how it sounds and plays, it's a tool, if it will provide me with what I need to hit a note and I'm comfortable with it in my hands then it's up to me to do the rest, instruments need to be relatively simple, because music offers us enough challenges without our instrument being the main one.

I think Parker took a leap just a little too far, which is why they wont have a mass appeal.
"too much too soon"
They quite drastically changed the guitar's basic build structure in such a short space of time.
I'm not saying those who don't like them shouldn't, as then I'd be guilty of being an axe nazi!, but they just aint for me at the moment.

Steve
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:47 PM

Parker Guitars

Don't get me wrong Rip

I didn't mean that they are made like ****
or anything. I love my UV and all, just for the money other guitars I've seen were slightly superior all around. It just seems like we're paying extra for the name and the artist association.

It's not a bad thing and I'm not complaining. I just wish that the price tag equaled the build quality.

Overall nonetheless, I'm very happy with my UV.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 04:48 PM

Parker Guitars

I'm with you on the name thing.

We do pay more to have a slice of Vai.
But I think it's a tasty slice

If JEM's were a standard Ibanez product without endorsement then they'd be priced accordingly, but for sure Steve's name add's the extra $ factor to it.
But at the same time you also have Steve's build requirements which means you get more than a standard build guitar.

Jeff,
I've gone very off topic after this so I've mailed you instead of clogging up the forum.

P.S. It's not a flame or argument in anyway, but hopefully an interesting 2-way debate.

Cheers
Steve
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 05:03 PM

Parker Guitars

It's all good rip. I know no flames were intended.

I've been a big Ibanez fan for a long time and always felt this. You just put up with some things to have the stuff you like.

In our case it's musical instruments.

Debate? Nah. I don't think we disagree. Discussion? Certainly.

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 01:29 PM

Parker Guitars

Parker necks are made of one solid piece of wood that came from the earth. *They just have a carbon-fiber composite exoskeleton (and no, this stuff isn't light years ahead because you can order it yourself as a three part kit) as thin as a sheet of paper to add strength. *With the added strength, the neck won't twist or bend or do any weird things your wooden neck might do, as the frets will not wear out. *They are meant to last a very long time. *I also, I don't think they "introduced too much new stuff in a short period of time." *99% of guitar designs come from designs of the 1950's with minor changes to make you think you are getting something really different. *The Ibanez Jem is basically redesigned Fender Stratocaster. *That isn't to say there haven't been good redesigns of Strats, but finally, after 40 years, somebody has done something completely original. *Read the article, it is very interesting.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 06:19 PM

Parker Guitars

Parkers are great. I have owned several and all have played the same with amazing uniformity and have never let me down. Amazing piezo and sound great recorded

Tags
acoustic guitar , cavity cover , dimarzio humbuckers , eric johnson , fender strat , fender stratocaster , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , local guitar shop , locking nut , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , pickup switch , sperzel tuners , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode