Parker Guitars - Too perfect? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Parker Guitars - Too perfect?

One of the guitars on my wish list is a Parker Fly.
Iīve heard great reviews on it and the specs are great. But everytime someone is talking about one, they end up sayings its soooo good, its too good!
As if it was so perfect it lacked soul or something.
There seems to be a lot of them going on ebay as well.
What do you think?

Julio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 09:42 AM

Parker Guitars

I think they're very attractive in the store and have extremely powerful WOW! factor - even more than a 10-top PRS to a tech junkie like me - but the resale value is pathetic and the necks are finished {shudder} *I'd like to pick up a used one to live with for a while and see how I feel about it in the long term, but I suspect that the collection of innovations and unique features of a Parker mean it's somewhat alien to the average guitarist - or at least to me It probably sounds weird, but tho' I'd like to have one to try over the long term, I suspect that there's something about that guitar that I would find off-putting in the end.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:36 AM

Parker Guitars

I have a Parker Fly Deluxe and I think it is terrific. Let me say though that is not "too Good" it does have flaws. 1) The finish on these things is not good (chips very easy) 2) The frets are glued on and when I bought mine a couple of the frets had started to pop up, a little superglue put them right back down (thatís what they tell you to do if you call Parker with this problem). 3) The resale is not good, which is good if youíre like me and only buy used guitars.

* Now for the good stuff 1) This guitar almost plays itself. 2) The pezio pickup sound very much like an acoustic guitar and the Dimarzio humbuckers are very versatile. 3) The trem stays in tune very well with those Sperzel tuners locked down. 4) The wow factor, every time I play this guitar anywhere I get people asking about it and wanting to try it.

*I highly *recommend you try and find a used one, there are deals to be found on these. *I bought mine in a pawn shop for $325.00 :biggrin:
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Parker Guitars

$325?!?!?!?!??! :shocked:

Interesting.....

Julio
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 02:49 PM

Parker Guitars

I happened to be the first person to see it (they just put it out) and when the guy said $325.00, I couldn't grab my wallet fast enough. * *
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 06:32 PM

Parker Guitars

The my lose resale value but they typically for for $1000-1200. Somebody really blew it by sellling one for $325! Great deal on that one!

BTW, I have a Parker Fly Deluxe. I wouldn't say it is perfect. The upper horn sticks out, the controls turn too easily, and I hate the location of the pickup selector. Still it has some cool pluses. It sounds good (not great, need to try different pickups), the piezo is nice, the frets don't wear (not easily anyway), and it is very light. And most importantly, it looks cool.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 07:15 PM

Parker Guitars

To the best of my knowledge, authorized Parker dealers are required (or are allowed) to send salesmen to their "factory" where they are certified or something of that sort. *When the "course" is complete, the guys at Parker send one guitar back to the shop with the salesman. *

This guitar is specifically for people like you who is considering buying a Parker. *On the back of the guitar, there is a special electronics cavity cover that displays the functions of all of the switches and knobs. *The guitar is meant to be sent home with a prospective buyer for a period which is determined by the dealer.

So, long short of it, go to a Parker dealer and see if they've got one you can take home. *Then you can try it through your own rig and in different environments. *They shouldn't charge you a dime to take it home either, if they do, find another dealer.....

I did the home trial thing about a year ago, and although it is very well endowed, it wasn't for me. *That's not to say that I don't want one though! *
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Parker Guitars

"Here you are Just play it for a week. see what you think,sir "

I would bet thats a US thing

As much as i hate to say it, the yanks are light years ahead in so many things!

Julio
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 08:22 PM

Parker Guitars

Here is something that has been bothering me a lot lately. *I have looked at TONS of guitar manufacturers, both obscure and small-production handbuilt pieces. *In almost 99% of all cases, the guitar builder has done NOTHING radically different from any guitar that was designed in the 40's and 50's. *This saddens me as a player, because instead of taking on challenging problems to find new solutions, guitar manufacturers just ignore the old problems of the guitar that are 50 years old. *The biggest problems I am talking about are the frets.

Ken Parker is the first person to produce a respectable quantity of guitar that is not based on a 50 year old guitar design, and has also tackled BIG guitar problems like fret wear that all other manufacturers ignore.

READ THIS ARTICLE!! http://www.tonequest.com/default_story.htm

Parkers are not perfect, but they are a HUGE step in the right direction. *Some people quack about the tone, but I think this is because nobody has figured out how to use them yet. *I'm sure if Eric Johnson spent a week's time with one, no one would say that they aren't possible of having fantastic tone.

Now if I could just start finding them for $325, I could start a collection.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 09:15 PM

Parker Guitars

You can buy the bolt on models for under a grand! *

But then again, the only thing special is the shape of the body and headstock!
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:49 PM

Parker Guitars

Not true. *The Nitefly's have the composite exoskeleton on the neck and the non-tanged stainless steel frets. *Getting one used for $600 or less is one of the best values for a quality made guitar.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 11:59 PM

Parker Guitars

Yeah, some of the bad stuff is just the flipside of the GOOD stuff - the innovation:
1) Finish on neck - IIRC, it HAS to be there - the basswood isn't stable enough without this fiber composite to help it
2) Popping frets - they have to be glued on, since stainless steel can't be formed as easily as nickel-silver frets.

But that damn upper horn has GOT to go! *Imagine the sleekest, most comfy body there is, and then put a hard square horn right where it can dig your ribs... sheesh.

One day, I'll break down & do the $1000 eBay tango ;-)
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 02:58 PM

Parker Guitars

I saw a demonstration at a local guitar shop of Johnson and Digitech stuff. *The guy was playing a Parker Fly (not sure which model, but it was white ) and I thought it both looked and sounded amazing. *He also picked up a Washburn Idol for a bit to show us that, and I thought it was ok, but too Les-Paul-y.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Parker Guitars

Josh,
thats a very interesting interview..

Makes me feel like throwing my Ibanez's in the bin...

Julio
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 07:21 PM

Parker Guitars

I know, the article makes you want to leave all other guitars in the dust and start begging for more manufacturers to start doing things right.

Quote:
Quote: 1) Finish on neck - IIRC, it HAS to be there - the basswood isn't stable enough without this fiber composite to help it
Obviously you didn't read the article.

Also, I have found the Parker necks to be incredibly fast. *I think you all are getting too caught up on "it isn't bare wood" as opposed to how it actually plays.

Tags
acoustic guitar , cavity cover , dimarzio humbuckers , eric johnson , fender strat , fender stratocaster , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , local guitar shop , locking nut , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , pickup switch , sperzel tuners , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in