Parker Parker Parker - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Parker Parker Parker

Well, Recently I have become quite obesed with the Parker Fly's. I play two JS1000's at the moment and I LOVE them both. I want different tone though and the Parker just turns me on in every way. I would like to know from you parker players how thier tone matches up to most Ibanes guistars *JS1000 in particular * and how you like the trem on them and how well they stay in tune.

I am even concidering giving up my JS1000BTB *plus cash* for a Fly Classic or something of the sort.

I know someone who has a delux I belive, and there might still be one at a local guitar store. I plan on trying them out before I get any wild ideas of cashing in my belove'd BTB for one. So PLEASE , Pro's, Con's, I would appreciate both. Thanks.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 10:22 PM

I can't tell you how the Fly compares to a JS, because i haven't really spent any time playing a JS. I can run down the highpoints of my experience with the Parker Fly Classic i've had for two years now.
  • Some have complained that the pickups are weak and/or lack tone. I would like a bit more punch out of them, but running into my GT-6, i've been able to get just about any tone out of them, and have had zero complaints as far as tone or sustain goes.
  • The trem is awesome... it's super-smooth and it stays in tune very well. Mind you, i'm not a crazy trem abuser. I don't know how well it would stand up to really heavy abuse... its spring is flat and i've heard can pop out if the trem is pushed a bit too hard.
  • I keep the trem locked in its "down only" position and the bar stowed in the case 95% of the time. I'll tell you how stable the tuning is on this guitar... I tuned it up really well before my band started rehearsing back in January. I literally did not have to retune it again until May, when i changed my strings. (Yeah, i don't change my strings that often)
  • I run my Parker in stereo, splitting the piezo off and running it through a SansAmp Acoustic DI and into the PA in our rehearsal studio. It sounds awesome, especially when i get the levels balanced just right and can double my clean or distorted electric sounds with the acoustic sounds. Wow. That is a heavy sound.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:43 PM

I have little experience with a Parker, but what I do know is that they play EXTREMELY well!

The thing that draws me away from them is the stupid cutaway design - the top horn shoves right into your chest/ribs (depending on how tall you are) when sitting down! It's definately made to be played standing up, I just didn't want to play one any longer after my chest got beat by it
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:46 PM

Mine totally killed my chest as well. And I thought the control layout was stupid, I never got used to it and I kept bumping into everything...and I found the trem, although smooth, was pretty limiting and sometimes noisy when the plate would clunk.

That being said, it's got one of the best playing necks on earth.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Well guys, From all I have read I REALLY want one. I think it is the guitar for me. That being said though. I NEED to try one out. Next time I bump into my old history teacher that has one in the store I am going to ask him if I can drop by and put it to the test *through my Legacy of course*. I am still torn between woods... Mahogany or Mapel? I am thinking maybe Mahogany will be the right wood for me. I dont know WHAT moddle he has, if I remember right I think it is a fly delux *the one ABOVE a classic not below* Anyway. Thanks for all the opinions and Info. Keep them coming if you can.

JR
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

BTW I am looking to buy one used! I just dont hav the kind of cash needed for a new one at the moment. I am only 16! I will make close to 2000 dollars in a couple weeks at the end of the summer but I want one sooner than that *LOL*. Oh well, maby by the end of summer I will have decided which I want

JR
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Oh and Gresh, I Imagine the trem was noisey when it was in dive only mode?? Well what is noiser than a Vintage Strat trem??? *LOL* I dont really mind having a non wankable trem on this guitar because, while I will be selling my JS1000BTB, I will be keeping my WH around. anyway, g'day.

JR
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:26 PM

The mahogany-bodied Classic is currently the high end of their regular production models. The Deluxe is the core model of the true "Fly" models. I'm curious to try the NiteFly M, which looks like a great value, and still has the carbon fibre neck (over mahogany instead of basswood) and those amazing stainless steel frets.

Above that are the Fly Maple Custom (maple body, basswood neck), the Fly Supreme (figured maple body, basswood neck) and the Fly Artist (spruce body, basswood neck), but these models are scarce and expensive.

I have to admit, the upper horn did jab me in the chest when i started playing my Classic a lot, but i lowered it an inch or two on the strap and started playing it more standing up (which isn't a big deal, since it's so light).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 09:18 PM

I was checking into a Parker fly classic myself a while back. THe mahogany body one sounds noticeably fuller than the poplar bodied deluxe model. I, just like a couple others mentioned, didnt like the sound all that much. The pickups lacked something, and the signal just sounded really direct, almost mechanical in a sense? I changed my mind on one after i heard it through my equipment
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 03:05 AM

Cons: I agree with what's been said about the upper horn and the controls.

Pros: besides the way it plays, I liked the bright clean tone of the pups. Very straty middle position. The piezo is phenomenal. I have an S2020x, and have never been overwhelmed by the piezo, but the Parker is much better to my ears.

Greg

Tags
clean tone , mahogany body , parker fly , parker fly classic , production model , stainless steel frets , steel frets , strat trem , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode