Parting Out. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Parting Out.

I'm seeing a huge trend on eba-y that really saddens and angers me.

It seems like every day, there is a new batch of auctions, where a perfectly good old Japanese RG550, RG560, and RG570s is obviously dissected and sold for parts, since the parts are worth more than the guitar on a whole.

You can tell that they are being hacked apart, because the seller will have all the matching pieces for sale in seperate auctions. You can trace back all the parts to make one complete, perfectly good guitar.

I love the old Japanese RGs, and I feel that they are a group of great guitars, one of a kind, never to be made again. There are a limited number of them out there. Once they're gone, or ripped apart, they're gone forever. One after the other I see, theres one less RG550 there. . .one less RG560 there. . .its very sad. I love those RGs, and it makes me furious to see them pissed away like that.

I know that they dont belong to me, I know that the owner has the right to do whatever he wants to them, but damn. . .they'res gotta be a line drawn somewhere! There are a couple of sellers that Ive watched. . .they're buy a RG for cheap, and in a month or so (or less) they will have that thing broken down and the Neck, Body, Edge, Tuners, Neckplate, Pickups, and wiring harnass will be sold seperately for profit.

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone else disgusted by this? It freakin breaks my heart every time I see a RG550 Desert Yellow stripped apart by greed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM

Re: Parting Out.

It's been going on for a while. I'm torn on the issue. On one hand, I don't like to see a nice, clean guitar knocked in the head for parts, but on the other hand, there's some beater RG's out there that would wouldn't bring $150 whole, but $250 in pieces. You can't blame a seller for wanting maximum profit. I basicly look at it like this. The pieces of those parted out RG's are going to people to restore, or refresh their own RG's, or build RG based customs. It's not like they're cutting them in half, and pitching them in a dumpster. --Jason
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM

buy em all and put them back together LOL..

I dont care either way personally. But I understand both sides.

I understand the reasoning behind parting em out for profit heck thats the whole point of **** isnt it?

Its when I see Jems ripped apart that gets me
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:51 PM

Same thing with cases. Jems, J-custom, Prestige...no case. Gig bag.

I know those guys are selling the cases seperately.

Rat Bastards.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:28 AM

Reviews: 120

It's bad in some ways but again as jkahrs said, it enables enthusiasts to build, mod and create their own guitars. I can't afford to buy these parts brand new so [email protected] is a great place where I can get decent used stuff to spruce up old guitars and build new ones.

I'm currently doing this with my old 1995 RG470. I was lucky enough to buy this with a Wizard neck, and now that I'm replacing the trem with an Edge that I just won off eB ay this week (hopefully it arrives soon), and put in some old EMGs I can have a sweet guitar that I couldn't necessarily afford to buy as a whole, but can piece together for a reasonable price.

I also bought a second hand Wizard II neck which I will shave down to Wizard spec and a used Gotoh FR trem which went to a custom guitar that my Father and I built. Because of eB ay I saved hundreds of dollars in the cost of new and used parts, bought an alder blank to build the body out of and now I have a custom guitar that only set me back $1200 AUD. It is just about my perfect guitar. To buy something like this from Ibanez would be about impossible, and for a luthier to make it for me would have cost at least $3000 AUD, perhaps a lot more.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:08 AM

I think it's a good oppurtunity to put together a sort of custom guitar where you mix and match parts. Like if you want a yellow guitar RG but your gonna change the pickups anyway and you want a rosewood board or gold hardware it's cheaper then buying the guitar, sellign the hardware pickups and neck, and then buying new ones.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
I'm seeing a huge trend on eba-y that really saddens and angers me.

It seems like every day, there is a new batch of auctions, where a perfectly good old Japanese RG550, RG560, and RG570s is obviously dissected and sold for parts, since the parts are worth more than the guitar on a whole.

You can tell that they are being hacked apart, because the seller will have all the matching pieces for sale in seperate auctions. You can trace back all the parts to make one complete, perfectly good guitar.

I love the old Japanese RGs, and I feel that they are a group of great guitars, one of a kind, never to be made again. There are a limited number of them out there. Once they're gone, or ripped apart, they're gone forever. One after the other I see, theres one less RG550 there. . .one less RG560 there. . .its very sad. I love those RGs, and it makes me furious to see them pissed away like that.

I know that they dont belong to me, I know that the owner has the right to do whatever he wants to them, but damn. . .they'res gotta be a line drawn somewhere! There are a couple of sellers that Ive watched. . .they're buy a RG for cheap, and in a month or so (or less) they will have that thing broken down and the Neck, Body, Edge, Tuners, Neckplate, Pickups, and wiring harnass will be sold seperately for profit.

Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone else disgusted by this? It freakin breaks my heart every time I see a RG550 Desert Yellow stripped apart by greed.
It sucks doesn't it?

I was desperate for an RG770DX a while back and found one on the bay, in pieces, and it'd of cost almost twice as much to buy the parts than get a whole one

Still, money talks and all that...
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 AM

I'm all for it. Companies make decisions based on profit all the time; why can't we? IBZ ruined the radius model IMO and turned it into the no-choice JS line. Kramer ruined the Pacer line before going belly up. So if I can make more $$ parting out, I will. Having said that, the only time I actually did this was when I wanted something from the guitar. I got a 1991 reverse blueburst radius recently for the body itself. It will become a new axe, with new pickups, trem, neck, etc. So the stock stuff will be on the bay in a couple days. But still, why the double standard? You want a RG550 DY? Buy a new one. If they don't make 'em anymore, blame Ibanez, not Ashley
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:40 AM

I got no problems with this issue. I just can't stand the guys buying new guitars and then parting them out. Realistically you will probably never see someone do this to a Jem 7VHW or a J-Custom largely because the guitar as as whole would fetch more money than parting it out. Doing it to an older cheaper guitar with decent parts will fetch more parted than whole. (Taking apart a $2500 J-Custom will only fetch about $900-$1000 as parts if you think about it)

I mean everytime someone tries to sell an 'upgraded RG550' around here(ie RG550 with new pickups), no ones going to want to pay more than $300 for it and even that may be stretching it. Asking for $500+ for a RG550 with brand new Dimarzio/Seymour Duncan/EMG's sounds like a complete ripoff to some. It's really just the whole online market that's causing the value on some guitars to go down and then people are pretty much forced into selling thier old guitars as parts(in which case more people would find useful uses for).

I should note that I recently parted out an old Ibanez Power 660 as I couldn't get the $300 I wanted for it. Heck I couldn't even get $200 or $150 for it because of the screwed up refin the last guy did so I ended up just parting it out. The body didn't sell but I still got around the $300 I wanted(Don't even bother looking up the model, it's not listed in any US Ibanez catalogs, it was an old Jap Domestic model a guy I know picked up back in the 80's when he was teaching in Japan).
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 AM

Hey I guess eventually it'll boost the prices of those guitars because most others will be parted out
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:54 PM

I have no problem with the issue either. Infact, I really like it because i'm left handed and the only real way for me to build lefty 550's etc.. is to get the parts for them. And this also give you the opportunity to build unique, one-of-a-kind guitars for really less money than it would cost to have one made for you. i.e. a 770dx neck bolted onto a 550 body...luckly for me I also get reverse headstocks for no extra charge
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
I got no problems with this issue. I just can't stand the guys buying new guitars and then parting them out. ...snip...

I should note that I recently parted out an old Ibanez Power 660 as I couldn't get the $300 I wanted for it. Heck I couldn't even get $200 or $150 for it because of the screwed up refin the last guy did so I ended up just parting it out. The body didn't sell but I still got around the $300 I wanted
I don't get it. IMO, these are the same thing. You both went the way that the market dictated to get the most $$. If there are new guitars to be had, anyone wanting one can just go buy one; no issue. If someone is complaining because they CHOOSE to not buy a new one but rather a used one to save $$, tough. That, too, is a market based decision.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:35 PM

If people would stop over paying for parts, then the trend would stop.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 01:47 PM

if there wasnt a market for it, it wouldnt happen !
get in touch with the seller and cut a deal for the whole lot... and the job's a goodun !
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:05 PM

it worked well for me. i was looking for a specific neck on e-bay about a month ago for a body that ekg is building for me. it's going to be a hardtail, so i wanted a neck with a regular nut. the perfect neck was one off of an rt450 or rt150, but those guitars rarely show up on ****. then one day, i found a guy who was parting out the body & neck. it was like divine intervention, lol. i bought the neck and it was cheap

Tags
bfp neck , custom guitar , edge trem , edge trems , fender strat , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , mirrored pickguard , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , rosewood board , seymour duncan , trem studs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode