A patriotic thought on my guitar that I'd appreciate opionions on. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
A patriotic thought on my guitar that I'd appreciate opionions on.

Hi Jemsiters. Hope all is well with everyone.
I've recently bought an Ibanez RGR1570 Prestige. I'm quite pleased with the guitar and everything. However, this quarter at college I got economics class and we were discussing the affect of purchasing goods made overseas. I realized that I want to buy American to support American workers and everything. Nothing against anyone or anything like that, but as a sort of patriotic thing I think I'd like to make an effort to own MIA gear. So, it's with that thought that I'm thinking I may want to sell/trade my RGR toward an MIA product. I just want to see if you guys think this is a good idea, and a patriotic one or if it's a misguided act. Thanks all, have a good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 PM

Re: A patriotic thought on my guitar that I'd appreciate opionions on.

I say screw America on this one, I love my Ibanez too much and I rather have it than my American Strat or a jackson. heh, or just buy like amps and pedals from America and maybe that will even it out for you hahaha

Ooo and buy like Affliction shirts since they are so comfortable and they are MIA lol
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 PM
MFB

While the idea is nice, I'd say don't sacrifice quality for something you got the idea of during Economics class that you'll be out of in 'x' amount of years/months/you get the point
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 PM

Do you honestly think buying a single guitar that is made overseas is going have any impact whatsoever on the economics of the US? I mean, come on the US gives billions of dollars away to these countries every year. Someone needs to have you sit down at watch the Penn & Teller Bull$hit episode on being patriotic.

Carvin is the only worthwhile US guitar company anyways IMHO.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 PM

I also think overseas trade with Japan isn't as bad as all of our products from China, so if you bought a Chibanez then we'd have a sit down and a little talk about the birds and the fake ibanez copies.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 PM

Nothing wrong with wanting to keep Americans working and helping your own economy.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I know that my owning an American made guitar will not have any affect what so ever on anything. It's kind of something that would make me feel better, knowing that though my impact was small, I did my small part to support the American worker. I'd feel kind shady about talking about helping the economy while playing my thousand dollar japanese guitar.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 11:44 PM

Get one of the new Charvels. They are bargain-priced, Made in USA, high quality, and have amazing necks.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

You're correct, those Charvels look great and they're MIA. I'm really going to look into getting one of those.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:50 AM

When you bought the Ibanez didn't you buy it from an American business who has employed American workers?

I think you've done your part, now enjoy your superior quality Japanese made guitar. If you really feel guilty, find an Ibanez from the Bensalem or Case Ave, Hollywood shop.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 AM

i really dont understand it.do what you like,but i think its a little too much.just a little guitar and a few hunder bucks.that never makes any difference.but offcourse love your birth place.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 AM

Buy some Dimarzios for it! Gete a better sound and have some US product do it!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:45 AM

whoops, double post
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairic View Post
I'd feel kind shady about talking about helping the economy while playing my thousand dollar Japanese guitar.
You probably can't go 1 min in your day without coming in contact with something that wasn't made overseas, or outside the US, so just grow up and just deal with it.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 AM

Personally, I think it is misguided. There are a lot more reasons for the American economy being how it is than just people not buying American made goods when they have a choice. Guitars as an industry are completely insignificant on a world wide level, let alone a domestic one.

Musical instruments, I think, is something like a $5-6 billion industry. Ammonia production alone is probably somewhere around $25-35 billion. It isn't actually a very big or significant industry. The industry would probably actually drop in revenue if it was all American made because a huge chunk of the industry is people buying really cheap instruments who never learn how to play them anyways. Charvel's production line might seem cheap for more serious people, but for hobbyists, even those are too expensive.
Closed Thread

Tags
reed smith , rgr prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode