Peavey Vandenberg Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Peavey Vandenberg Question

I have a chance to get a USA made Peavey Vandenberg Sig model Black all stock OHSC except the single coil was replaced with a SD Hot Rail. What would be a good price for this guitar and what areas of concern should I look for/at?

I have a Tone Zone laying around and was wondering how it would sound in this guitar and how it might match up with the SD HR?

Also, does anyone know what the stock pups are and where I could get the single coil? THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Re: Peavey Vandenberg Question

How old is it? The older ones were bolt ons the newer ones neckthroughs. I have heard that the older ones are better guitars. If it's an older USA model it should be pretty darn nice. As for the Hotrail in the neck it is a much better pickup than stock and would work well with a tonezone in the bridge IMO. I think stock pickups were some sort of Peavey pickups IIRC. I think they go for $300-$350. My buddy had an older bolt on neck model and it was a great guitar.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Peavey Vandenberg Question

It really depends on the condition but they go between $300 and $600. The OHSC definitely adds some value to it. As fas as the pups are concerned they are not brand name but they are hot, however, if you can put Seymour Duncans on it it would be an improvement IMO. I have a screaming demon on the bridge and a hot rail on the neck on mine and the sound terrific! I honestly don't think it would be an easy job getting the original pup.

My 2 cents!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM

the original pick ups were custom made to adrian vandenbergs specifications,the bridge pick up is excellent for metal, its a lot more metal than say my duncan JB on my kramer and definetly wilder than the paf on my jem, leave the hotrails in though, the original neck pick up is nothing special and if i didnt butcher mine to put an evo in the neck i would definetly change it for a hotrails, they have a vey thin neck as well which is quite impressive
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!! It's an older one with the bolt on neck made in USA and I was considering getting because the price is low and the condition is very good. I thought for the money it might be a nice guitar to play around with. The only downside is it's plain boring black.

I've heard different opinions on the Kahler trem and was wondering if there were any areas I should inspect to make sure it's in good stable working condition. Unfortunately the Peavey forum is down so I can't go there for answers.

When I bring it home I'll play around with it and see how I like the stock humbucker before I swap it out for the TZ. I'm going to guess with a thin neck it'll take 9's. Thanks.

Only pic I have so far: http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...008_0402AD.jpg

I'm also getting the H2O Pedal as well.

Last edited by zepsongs; 09-11-2008 at 03:15 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Looks good man. I'de get it. Hard to tell by the picture, but that doesn't look like a hot rails. Some sort of rail pickup, but doesn't look like a Hot rails. Does it say Seymour Duncan on it?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Good point I didn't notice that before. Then again I had an SL1 where the Seymour Duncan had completely worn away on the singles but was fine on the humbucker. Either way I actually have a black Hot Rail laying around as well. Was considering putting it in my Lone Star but it may end up in the Peavey instead.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdragon View Post
Looks good man. I'de get it. Hard to tell by the picture, but that doesn't look like a hot rails. Some sort of rail pickup, but doesn't look like a Hot rails. Does it say Seymour Duncan on it?
if the hotrails was put in around the time the guitar was originally bought then it wouldn't have seymour duncan printed on it, don't know when they started doing it but i got one in 1992 and it never had it on .
heres a pic of my modded mark 1 vandy and my Hamer with the seymour hot rails.( i use 10's on my vandy)

Last edited by Maffster; 09-11-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: missedabit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Well according to the original owner it's an SD and was put in about 6 years ago when the stock pup crapped out. When I get it home I'll take it apart and see what it is. If it's not an SD I'll just swap in the one I have.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Went there. Played it. It was in good, not great condition. Didn't like it. Just didn't WOW! me. Nuttin. Seemed plain. When I played my Lone Star for the first time I was like "Yeah!! This is what I'm talking bout!" I picked this up, it felt like it could have been any anonymous guitar off the rack in my hands.

I know I may end up kicking myself in the ass cos it was stupid low price but I know I would only end up selling it. It just didn't make sense to me to buy the guitar when I know I'm going to end up selling it a month later.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM

where was it?

Tags
hot rail , peavey vandenberg , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode