Peavey Vandenberg Thoughts... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Peavey Vandenberg Thoughts...

Hello all!
Any of you have a Peavey Vandenberg? There is one that I found here in town that's cheap. Quite cheap. It's Hot Pink. 24 frets. Kahler Spyder trem. 1 Hum and 1 SC, 2 volume knobs and a 3 way switch. Pretty nice playing guitar. I love the neck on it. So I'm gonna get it...

I am wondering if anyone knows what they are made of? I've heard either Poplar or Alder. Can't get anything definate. So, anyone know? I don't know what year it is, I'm thinking late '80's. I like the shape of the body though, those Violin Cutouts are pretty sweet. Totall 80's shred...

Any insight into these? Nice? Junk? The only other Peavey I've owned was a nice Wolfgang that I traded long ago...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 PM

Re: Peavey Vandenberg Thoughts...

I think they look realy cool but I've never been lucky enough to play one though. Ed Roman had 3 on his wall when I was in Vegas but I didn't think they were realy in my price range.

Ben
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM

Ive always liked those guitars but never owned one. From here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=93519228

It looks like the standard models were poplar and the customs where mahogany or mahogany with a maple top.

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Eggy,
Do you remember what Roman was asking for them?

Poplar? Boo... I don't know why I'm not a poplar fan. My 1997 USA Jackson Student Soloist has poplar wings and that thing sounds pretty sweet. But then again, maybe it's the EMG's in it...
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post
Eggy,
Do you remember what Roman was asking for them?
Sorry man no. I went to that shop on the last day of my holiday and only had around $600 left.

I couldn't even afford one of his t-shirts

Ben
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

HA HA! Yeah, that guy is expensive...

Looks like this one is a 2nd edition Standard. I'd like to see one of those Customs...
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 PM

My first real guitar was almost a Peavey Vandenburg, but the guy at the store was a dick to my mom so he lost the sale and was called an @$$hole by a 12 year old cid
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
My first real guitar was almost a Peavey Vandenburg, but the guy at the store was a dick to my mom so he lost the sale and was called an @$$hole by a 12 year old cid
someone being as @$$ in chicago? Imagine THAT!!! (My dad is from there and i visit occasionally with the family). Being here in NC i find it a rude awakening when i go to chicago and see how rude some of the people are. The big city has a totally different vibe.......sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.

Sorry to get off subject just wanted to make that rant!
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

OK, I've been playing it for about an hour. Interesting guitar. Some thoughts...

Not too sure of the bridge pickup. I assume it's original but not sure. It's OK, nothing to write home about. It will be swapped sooner or later...

The neck PU is decent. Good cleans. Sounds a bit weak with gain. But what SC doesn't?

3 way switch is interesting. Up is the bridge pickup. Down is the neck. Are they like that? Or did someone spin the thing around? Is that even possible? Interesting though. Don't think I like that either...

Neck is very, very thin. No meat at all. Good neck but very thin. Thinner than any Wizard I've ever felt. Not a huge fan of paper thin necks but this one is decent-thin. I can get use to it. But an old Les Paul player like myself needs to get use to that...

Pretty good guitar for what I paid for it. Now, to refinish or not???
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 11:38 PM

Reviews: 1

Hot pink Vandenbergs are pretty cool...I don't know if I'd refinish.

Just how much did you pay?
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

$200 with the Peavey HSC. Not bad, I think. It does have a pretty good donk on the back edge but that's about it for blemishes. Pretty good shape...
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 AM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Peavey Vandenberg Thoughts...

Quote:
Hello all!
Any of you have a Peavey Vandenberg? There is one that I found here in town that's cheap. Quite cheap. It's Hot Pink. 24 frets. Kahler Spyder trem. 1 Hum and 1 SC, 2 volume knobs and a 3 way switch. Pretty nice playing guitar. I love the neck on it. So I'm gonna get it...

I am wondering if anyone knows what they are made of? I've heard either Poplar or Alder. Can't get anything definate. So, anyone know? I don't know what year it is, I'm thinking late '80's. I like the shape of the body though, those Violin Cutouts are pretty sweet. Totall 80's shred...

Any insight into these? Nice? Junk? The only other Peavey I've owned was a nice Wolfgang that I traded long ago...
They are great guitars I actually own the very model you are considering buying, and it is a marvelous guitar, it has a very small and thin neck, ebony fretboard, abalone inlay dots, alder body and the rest of the specs you already know, it truly is a well made shredder guitar with great playability and tone and it's made in the USA baby! It definitely has the OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S seal of approval can't go wrong with it!!!!

Here is my babe:

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 AM

Reviews: 10
Lightbulb Re: Peavey Vandenberg Thoughts...

Quote:
OK, I've been playing it for about an hour. Interesting guitar. Some thoughts...

Not too sure of the bridge pickup. I assume it's original but not sure. It's OK, nothing to write home about. It will be swapped sooner or later...

The neck PU is decent. Good cleans. Sounds a bit weak with gain. But what SC doesn't?

3 way switch is interesting. Up is the bridge pickup. Down is the neck. Are they like that? Or did someone spin the thing around? Is that even possible? Interesting though. Don't think I like that either...

Neck is very, very thin. No meat at all. Good neck but very thin. Thinner than any Wizard I've ever felt. Not a huge fan of paper thin necks but this one is decent-thin. I can get use to it. But an old Les Paul player like myself needs to get use to that...

Pretty good guitar for what I paid for it. Now, to refinish or not???

The stock pups are not great that is for sure! I put a Seymour Duncan GL screaming demon in the bridge and a hotrail in the neck position and it sounds beautiful man!!!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Olie,
Nice guitar! My pink is a bit different. More sparkle with a silver hue. Not color changing but almost like it had a silver basecoat then pink on top.

Course if I had a camera I could snap a pic and show you but guitars are above cameras in the food chain in my house!

Love the headstock too...
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 AM
Dee

I would never refinish it unless the existing finish is in bad condition or if you can't live with the ding on the back. Great guitars. I bought the newer version a while back, too. Peavey V-Type in black with Floyd Rose copy. Ummm, not a good guitar. I sent it back straight away and bought my RG3120DR instead. The original Vandenberg's were great, though. Nice purchase, especially at the price you paid (crazy price).

Tags
alder body , bridge pickup , custom guitar , ebony board , ebony fretboard , floyd rose , gibson les paul , gold trem , guitar body , guitar playing , les paul , les pauls , neck position , peavey vandenberg , playing guitar , seymour duncan , steve vai , trem arm , upper fret , upper frets , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode