Peavey Wolfgang or EB/MM Axis - Which one do you prefer? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 03:37 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Peavey Wolfgang or EB/MM Axis

I'd put the wolfie in the class of guitars with the Ibanez Prestige RGs. Sub $1000 axes. Remove Eddie's endorsement and his Peavey is a $600 clearance rack item. Just calling them as i see them :biggrin: ... glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 08:40 AM

I'd agree with the Ibz Prestige comparison. But, $600.00 clearance rack item w/out EVH endorsement? Golly,
that's exactly what I think about JEMS, especially after viewing Ibz's latest offerings. Remove Vai's endorsement & they're Musician's Friend's sale of the week.

AXEGRINDER
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 04:41 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and criteria for grading guitars. Either way the JEM has withstood the test of time in the Guitar community. I find it a much more versatile axe far beyond Steve Vai worship.

Two manufacturer's later, the EVH is still working on achieving that success and status... glen
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 09:58 PM

I think the Wolfgang would be a much more versatile guitar if it had 4-conductor pickups and split-5 switching. Ernie Ball added that to the Axis Sport models, which have probably gone on to be much more popular than the same guitars were as EVH models.

The Wolfgang might be great for Ed, but a lot of people want more versatility... i think that's probably why the JEM has done so well.
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-11-2001, 12:01 AM

I agree. If there were a new Wolfgang with an added single coil in the middle & a
five way switch, a lot more players would take interest.
Maybe their new Custom Shop models will offer this option.
I have a picture of EVH years ago playing a white Wolfgang with three single coils & a
switch selector that looks like a five way.
I have a recent picture of a Custom Shop Wolfgang with a *raspberry flametop &
cream P-90 type single coils. Yum. If I knew how to post a pic here I'd put it up. *

AXEGRINDER
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 05:58 PM

The wolfgang all you are buying is the Eddie Van Halen name. Thats it in my opion and I love eddie so of course I have a wolfy and a 5150 half. *They sound great together. *But if I had to do it all over, spending 1500$ on a Flame top wolfgang, I wouldn't. Dont get me wrong I love it but there is one sound and only one sound out of it, that "brown sound". *I will keep my wolfy becuase I love it but I will keep buying Jems and differant strats, for the versatility.

Go with the Music Man or Jem. a whole lot more versatil
post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 06:06 PM

one more thing that made me get the wolfgang, is the arch top. *they are really nice and have the feel of a Les Paul. *And the neck oh man, I would give my leg for the neck of a wolfgang (birdseye maple) to put on a strat.
the thing is like a baseball bat. SWEET!!!!
just my thoughts
post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:35 PM

[disclaimer]
First off I own an Axis Super Sport so my opinion is already biased. I have not played a Wolfgang either so some may say my opinion can't really be valid... but I'll blab anyways.
[/disclaimer]

When I got my Axis Super Sport for $800 brand new (a steal!!!!) I instantly fell in love with it. Prior to, my main axe was an RG470LH. I liked the way it played but the Axis was unbelievable. Everything about it was magnificent; compared to my "dream custom axe," it's 90% there! The flawless craftsmanship was evident upon first play. And this was all before I discovered Jemsite a month or so ago. Since then I've read a lot of posts about how EB craftsmanship is excellent.

Just from reading this thread alone, it seems to me (mind you I have only seen this thing once in an ad...) that this Wolfgang sells solely, or almost solely, on EVH endorsement. It doesn't exactly sound like a top-of-the-line guitar... to give an analogy, I'd say EVH is to the Wolfgang as Vai is to the 555.

So in the end, I'd take an Axis (lefty of course!) over any other guitar. I've played Strats, Les Pauls, PRS's, my low-end RG, and they don't come close...But of course, that's my heavily biased opinion.. I haven;'t even played a Wolfgang so who am I to say?

-Justin
post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 12:12 AM

The Wolfgang feels like a cheap Squire compared to an EB Axis. *Just my opinion, and I don't own either one!

(Edited by Polaris20 at 10:16 pm on Aug. 19, 2001)
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 02:58 AM

Eh. Cheap shots abound...

I'll say this as objectively as possible.

The EB/EVH is better made. I've played both pretty extensively, don't own either (not my bag). The Peavy EVH isn't that bad it just doesn't feel as good or lively as the EB one does. It feels like... well.. a Peavy.

I still feel if it weren't for the money, EVH would've never gone where he is. Any major amp/guitar company would've given him whatever he wanted. Peavy probably just offered the most bux.

*Ponders...
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-20-2001, 03:09 AM

another vote for the EB/EVH over the Peavey....tried them both out and didn't like either enough to buy, however the EB came out tops in comparison

to me the JEM's are far superior
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 03:23 AM

I say sell em both and buy a Jackson! Since USA Jackson quality blows em both out of the water. *Anyway if I was forced to purchase one of these EVH "endorsement check" models it would be the Peavey. That really sucks to say since the only good guitar Peavey ever made was the Vandenberg models, anyway, I played an Axis and the neck felt somewhat like and Ibanez neck, rigid and sterile(better fret dressing though). Didn't care for the cheap-a$$ stamped Floyd Rose imposter trem unit either. *Of course the Peavey Floyd unit is no better than the Axis. They're both peices of sh*t. The peavey guitar did feel alot better though. I played three different Wolfgangs(not the cheap "special" models) and they all played quite nicely, a hell of alot better than the Axis. In reference to the remark made about The wolfgang being a $600 guitar without the VH endorsement, that may be true to some extent but considering the sh*t Ibanez has been churning out I don't see them as being any better at all. I've been a Ibanez player for along time. Best signature model they make is the JPM 100 seriies IMO. So reality kind of sucked for me considering I thought Ibanez was the best. Then I got my hands on an ESP Kamikaze and then a Jackson SL2 soloist. I love these two guitars! Glad I decided to stray and try something different. The Jackson is superior to all these models. Still like p3s though. Am I rambling?
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 05:16 AM

Reviews: 3

"A trem that doesn't pull up? *That's like a car with no reverse. "

Does no one bend anymore? *Haha...

Okay... basically the EB/MM will give you

-Slightly better fretjob from the factory
-Little thicker top (on the figured top models)
-Somewhat stiffer neck (better tunability and setups)
-Higher quality tuning gears
-Different pickups (personal choice completely as both are very hot pickups that pretty much kill the natural sound of the guitar...)
-No D-Tuner from factory
-No Stoptail option (I believe)

I think that's it... if you really want one of these two guitars, just decide if that list justifies the price increase.
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 05:46 AM

I owned a Peavey Wolfgang for a while. I was very impressed by the quality. In the end I sold it because it wasn't that versatile and because the neck was good but not great. The fretwork was ok but it felt like the frets weren't leveled and dressed well. The oil/wax finish on the neck was spotty too. Something I noticed on my Wolfgang and others is that I could see the wood seam raised through the paint. Most Wolfgangs are also a little on the heavy side.

I have played several EBs in stores and in each case the EBs had better necks, better fretwork, were lighter, had better finishes, and resonated better. I must admit that I did not use to like EBs because of how they look but I have been impressed with almost every recent EB I have played. I wished they could learn to put a nice carve top on an Axis though!

Rick
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 08:47 PM

I have the opposite experience than most, being that I've never played the EB/MM. I have a Wolfie that has become my main player..I know sacreligous. I agree that it only has one sound, brown, and is not very versatile, but for me it's a very comfy axe. I like the beefiness of the neck, it is like a baseball bat but it works for me. Its' got tons of sustain and sounds great through my 5150. I'm pretty happy with it and with the deals that can be had on these on Ebay they can be picked up pretty cheap.

Just my $.02.

Tags
base plate , custom shop , double neck , eddie van halen , edge trem , ernie ball , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , floyd trem , guitar shop , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez trem , les paul , les pauls , local guitar shop , locking tuners , mounted pickups , neck joint , nut pads , peavey wolfgang , quilted maple , sounding guitar , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , srv strat , steve vai , trem block , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in