Peavey Wolfgang or EB/MM Axis - Which one do you prefer? - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 5
Peavey Wolfgang or EB/MM Axis

man...17 posts and already our new biggest troll. *Nice. *It's probably big Ed R. *gettin his jollies off. *Oh well...enjoy your all-brass trem moron.

Speaking of tests: Maybe we should test newbies before they're allowed to post.

(Edited by jem7vwh at 7:30 pm on Aug. 30, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 6:26 pm on Aug. 30, 2001
man...17 posts and already our new biggest troll. *
That's a pretty sad statistic. Sad, but true. Is that a new Jemsite record?

Quote:
Nice. *It's probably big Ed R. *gettin his jollies off.
I'm not discounting that possibility! :laugh:

Quote:
Oh well...enjoy your all-brass trem...
This just makes no sense to me, even if it "resonates better."

-Justin
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:38 PM

Well, no one said that this kind of attitude makes sense, but these vintage/made in the usa types who swear by all-brass saddles and nuts carved from the teeth of whales aren't usually to grounded in reality anyway. *I figure somewhere along the line, they went out looking for new Elixer strings to put on their SRV strat and some one told em that the secret to SRV's sound was using brass saddles. *Pretty soon all these freaks decide that's the way to go. *They don't realize brass is too soft and that nickle and steel have been shone to have even better resonant abilities when used in the context of a steel string vibrating. *All they know is what some loser dealer told them while they drooled over a Tubescreamer. *These people are sheep. *BAHH!
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:05 PM

and here I thought I started all this excitement with my last post on page 2 *LOL* oh well.......................
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:54 PM
Vendor

I finally figured out he's talking about an Edge trem. But does it really matter? Sure, brass is nice, the tailpiece on my LPC is brass (it used to be gold plated but I wore most of it off) Brass is great for them, the only problem is it's too soft to hold enough thread tension to work in a Floyd design. There isn't a part that wouldn't be stripped in no time. The only way I could see the 'system' improved with brass would be nut pads, then once the strings wore grooves in them they'd be scrap too.
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 01:58 AM

Hrm.

I'm not going to get into it unless I have to, but you don't -really- want a bridge material to be 'resonant' per se. You want it to be rigid and efficient in trasmitting waves of vibration to the body; which is what you actually want resonance in.

It's not a matter of the bridge actually 'resonating' that's important. It's the effeciency in which it transmits those vibrations to more important things like the wood of the body/neck/fingerboard and the pickups.

This is why people always assume that denser (ie: heavier) materials used for bridges are better; thinking heavier means "more solid". Cheap die cast pot metal bridges have lots of air pockets in them (cut an old Ibanez trem and half then cut some no name trem off of a real low end guitar in half and you'll see what I mean).

What you want is an object with good mass and a dense material as void of air pockets as possible so the transmission of vibration to the body is as effecient as possible. Any loss of intensity or vibration can result in less volume, 'holes' in certain frequencies and and overall lack of tone in your intrument (or at the very least it not living up to it's potential).

Brass was always used for this for a number of reasons.
a) it's fairly dense (heavy)
b) it's easy to forge/melt and inexpensive
c) their are many grades of it available due to the mass percentage of woodwind instruments made of it (horns, trumpets saxophones etc)
d) and it readily accepts a variety of finishes from electrochemical (chroming of various shades), powder coating and just plain paint

Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Oh damn, I guess I did get into it.
post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 02:05 AM
Vendor

Damn glad I got my shades on, it got mighty bright in here!!! *
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 02:15 AM

Didn't know you were so edumacated there Jeffrey
post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 02:30 AM

:glare::glare::glare::glare:
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 06:39 AM

So here's what I've learned so far:

It was a good idea to sell my Wolfgang.
Ernie Ball makes the best guitars ever.
My Jem sucks.
It was a bad idea selling my Wolfgang.
I really should get a Jackson.
Brass is a good thing to make stuff out of.

Got it!

I had a singer once who was fairly dense and I'm pretty sure he had brass balls. I also had a girlfriend once who was easy to forge/melt but she wasn't inexpensive. Should I switch topics?
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:24 AM

Well I'd say just trust the people who know what they're talking about and we all know who they are.

Steve
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Quote: from kent on 5:39 am on Aug. 31, 2001
I had a singer once who was fairly dense and I'm pretty sure he had brass balls. I also had a girlfriend once who was easy to forge/melt but she wasn't inexpensive. Should I switch topics?
:rotf: :rotf:

-Justin
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 12:15 am on Aug. 31, 2001
Didn't know you were so edumacated there Jeffrey
Hehe.

16 yrs doin this ****
(7 of it teaching/fixing/building/repairing guitars) you tend to learn a few things.

Even if you don't want to. :biggrin:

If it were up to me my bridges would probably be made out of tool steel (chromium-vanadium alloy). Very hard, very dense and almost totally absent of voids (air pockets). Cheap to manufacture too, just very hard stuff which makes it difficult to machine, probably why there are none made out of it.
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:28 PM

Back to the Floyd/Lo Pro comparison. I have had both. Guitars with a Floyd and a LO Pro. If I had to choose between the two I couldn't do it. Both have features that I desire, so why not have them both? It also gives you reasons to your wife or girlfreind why you have to have so many different guitars.......peace from unclebuck..........
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:44 PM

Well the point that I was trying to get when I wanted brass used in the edge was that the fine tuners should have been brass since they have an almost direct connection to the string and that they arent in an area that is taking alot of stress. *Oh well. *I love these discussions and they have their points. *Back to the topic of air pockets, doesnt the original floyd have hammer forged steel in it? *German steel at that. *Oh well. *The sad fact of this reality is I dont honestly beleive anyone has designed a perfect floyd yet. *Sure the edge is the best knockoff, but its still a knockoff in my opinion. *Sheep go baaaaa. *I say make the thing better. *This is big enough a topic of debate that maybe Ibanez should offer floyds designed with different alloys? *That would definitely put me in my place. *

"Oh I can get us there real quick.........Jack Buttler's gonna like you...........

Tags
base plate , custom shop , double neck , eddie van halen , edge trem , ernie ball , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , floyd trem , guitar shop , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez trem , les paul , les pauls , local guitar shop , locking tuners , mounted pickups , neck joint , nut pads , peavey wolfgang , quilted maple , sounding guitar , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , srv strat , steve vai , trem block , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in