Peavey Wolfgang or EB/MM Axis - Which one do you prefer? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Peavey Wolfgang or EB/MM Axis - Which one do you prefer?

I was in my freindly local guitar shop today and we were discussing the Peavey Wolfgang and EB/MM Axis and comparing the two.

Which model do you prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 01:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Peavey Wolfgang or EB/MM Axis

I don't prefer either but the EB is probably a better built guitar. You should really examine & test the neck because the EB one is very 'tiny' for lack of a better word. I think the pickups/wiring are limiting also but this is a good case *where you *should* test drive these guitars and not go by reviews on harmony or elsewhere.

I'd take an RG550 over either myself and pocket the change. But that is just me. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 03:16 PM

I personally would take the Axis hands-down over the Peavey. *I've owned several EB/MM EVH models and an Axis, as well as a Wolfgang. *The EB/MM's are FAR superior in build quality as well as finish. *The neck on the Music Man is very small-it's quite round, but IMHO is VERY comfortable. *It fit's rather well in my hands at least. *The Wolfgang is a great guitar, but not quite up to the quality standards of Music Man. *The real differences lie in the arched top on the Wolfgang which is nice, but isn't an issue tonally or playability wise. *In the end though, only you know for sure which one is "better". *It's definitely best to A/B the two of them side-by-side and see what you think! *
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 01:19 AM

I'd go with the Axis anytime!
After trying these 2 guitars extensively at my friendly local store, I find that the Axis exceeds the Wolfgang in all facets! Action, Finish, tone and looks! The wolfgang to me feels very manufactured...as though it's just churned out for the sake of EVH's name on it...as though the only pride in making the guitar is EVH's namesake and not the quality of the guitar itself.

To me the pickups on the evh sound very harsh...I really like the tone on the Axis guitars very smooth and also I love the punchy midrange that they possess. Excellent tone. I had a really good deal on a trans gold quilted maple one!! Damn I regret it until now for not taking that sweet guitar.

One thing that I especially like about the Axis is the neck, having played jem and ibanez necks for so long it felt really weird to me at first. But after a while it was so so so comfortable. It's like one of those necks that is really great for gripping the strings...but at the same time really good for shredding

Skip the wolfgang and get the Axis, you'll thank us later

Chris.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 08:55 AM

Does the EB/MM have the graphite reinforced neck joint like the Peavey?
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm not thinking about buying one! I don't particularly like either. I was just wondering what all you other people out there thought about them. :biggrin:

I thinks its a bit pointless having a Floyd Rose thats not Back Routed. EVH might like it but I don't.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 03:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

the floating trem comes down to that 'ice cream' flavor analogy. Personally i like and require MORE choices in a guitar not less. As you grow and tastes change, you'll realize it's better to have somethign and not use it (ie pickups, tone knob) and just not use it. With this I add the floating trem.

I'd rather see it routed to pull-up and have a trem block installed at the factory to restrict pull up (as per Mr Bertinelli). This, of course, adds to customer options.

I think Peavy is marketing the d-tuna as real 'selling point' which, of course, requires the non-float to work precisely. To them the extra cost and setup is probably not worth it. Just another reason not to buy the guitar in my book, but many enjoy these... glen
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 03:54 PM

Ice Cream? *I'll go a step further....

The only EB/MM Axis I'd like is the purple regular 6/baritone 6 double neck from the "Runaround" video. *
A trem that doesn't pull up? *That's like a car with no reverse.

I'll be in line with Glen to pick up an RG-550 and hit DejaVu with the spare cash.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 12:19 PM

Hmmm... I've had a EB/MM axis for the last couple of years and I really like having something different to play from time to time. *I've added the D-Tuna to it and it works great! *Also, when it comes to quick drop tunings etc... a non-floating trem can't be beat

bill
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 10:23 AM

You guys that trash the Wolfgang are amazing. EB builds better guitars? I dissagree. And because EB is a smaller shop doesn't mean they make better guitars, either. The Wolfgang shop isn't THAT big, get real. They aren't churned out for the sake of mass production. If they were made in more limited quantities players would gripe that Peavey can't make them fast enough. These things are made to Eddie's specs & his satisfaction is the bottom line.
If you "build quality" guys have specific info on the how's & why's of Peavey's Wolfgang & it's build quality compared to EB & their build quality, then let's hear *detailed* specifics to back these statements up & we'll all be better informed. Facts, not opinions. *
I'd *love* to hear them & eagerly await the responses. *

AXEGRINDER
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well just before I take my place in the RG550 line behind Kevan, I'll say that I like the colour scheme of the trans amber one Eddie always seemed to play, I think the zebra pickups really match the finish *The wolfgang has an arched top which puts the pots at funny angles - I'd rather see them countersunk, or even better a flat top - so I guess I'd prefer the musicman over the peavey. I can't really comment on build quality, the ones I've toyed with in stores didn't seem to have any build faults
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 02:22 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
let's hear *detailed* specifics to back these statements up & we'll all be better informed. Facts, not opinions.
Lets relax a little bit. This is an interactive forum where OPINIONS are welcome and serve to make people think and form their own judgement. If you want to facts here then I ask you to begin to outline FACTS as to why Peavey is better or not worse than EB/MM ...glen
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 06:21 PM

I'm addressing the fact that there's nothing inherent in the EB/EVH that makes it better. *One person who posted said the EB was "far superior in build quality" to the Peavey.

EVH was involved in the process of building each signature model, from wood selection to pickup design. His criteria had to be met or nothing reached production. * *

It strikes me as very peculiar that if the EB was good enough for Ed, that's great.
If the Wolfgang is good enough for Ed, then the Peavey's not built as well as the EB. .

AXEGRINDER
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 07:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

I tend to trust opinion of people who have OWNED & PLAYED the guitars myself.

Quote:
I'm addressing the fact that there's nothing inherent in the EB/EVH that makes it better.
Extrapolating your argument & logic, you could make a case that the JEM7 (or JS1000) is no better than a Korean JEM555 (or JS100). I mean it's wood and some generic hardware and pickups right? Nope.

Look, ed played axes for years that were nothing special, often homemade and what others would consider JUNK. That is part what made Ed unique as a guitarist. But i'm not going to sit here and delude myself that he endorses only top shelf items. I'd argue the contrary. Since you opened that door let me walk in... IMHO Eddie is more concerned with product endorsements and marketability than top quality products. Smart considering his influence is a younger audience w/ less disposable income. That is not to take away from his musical accomplishments... glen
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:07 PM

No. You're extrapolating on my logic is absolutley wrong & out of context. I'll stick to my previous post. *

You said:
"But i'm not going to sit here and delude myself that he endorses only top shelf items. I'd argue the contrary."

You're saying the Wolfgang is not top shelf, correct?
If so, I disagree.

Define a top-shelf item.

AXEGRINDER

Tags
base plate , custom shop , double neck , eddie van halen , edge trem , ernie ball , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , floyd trem , guitar shop , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez trem , les paul , les pauls , local guitar shop , locking tuners , mounted pickups , neck joint , nut pads , peavey wolfgang , quilted maple , sounding guitar , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , srv strat , steve vai , trem block , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode