Peavey Wolfgang situation - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Peavey Wolfgang situation

I was wondering if anyone knows what the likely future of the Wolfgang is, with all the Charvel speculation ongoing. To be honest, I love the look and sound of the Wolfie and think the Charvel is simply a flash in the pan retro thing. Much as I admire EVH, and think the Frankenstein paint is iconic, I don't want one. It's just too much EVHs guitar and anyone else playing it is going to be living in a very big shadow. Would much rather have a Wolfgang with flamed maple to be honest.

I was also wondering if anyone knows what's happening regarding Peavey's EVH Custom Shop? It seems to have disappeared off the website, or the old link I have is broken. I'm in the process of saving for a Wolfgang Custom with maple neck and Tiger Eye top but it looks like I might not have anything to buy by the time I can afford it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:42 AM

as far as speculation w/ Charvel - it is not speculation. Ed has signed with Charvel (actually Fender since they now own Charvel/Jackson). the fate of the Wolfgang is already sealed since Ed owns all the design patents on the instrument.
the Custom Shop is no longer taking orders and they closed the site to take inventory of what they have. they are finishing the orders that have been taken thus far and are not taking any more orders.
Peavey employees are buying up as many "vault" custom Wolfgangs as possible for collectors pieces. if you can't buy (afford) one now - you probably won't be able to in the future as they are only going to be offered 2nd hand with an inflated price tag.
most of this is happening as we speak. if you can lay your hands on the $ to buy a pre-made custom Wolfie - do it now as they are going FAST.
production models will continue thru Oct (when Eds' contract w/ Peavey is up) and production will close.
i have wanted a custom Wolf for awhile and have missed my chance unless i sell off a few of my most loved guitars - no way! i would only be able to "settle" for a pre-made Wolf custom and not get to choose what i want - which defeats why i want a custom in the first place.
i don't "collect" guitars, i play them. i have a family of guitars or maybe you can consider it an arsenal of guitars, but surely not a collection (now over 20 instruments).
there are still lots of production models available and most styles and colors can be had. you might be able to find one or call a Peavey dealer to have their rep find you one with those specs but you need to have the $ ready immediately.
sorry for the bad news - it was a gloomy day when i found out all this info over a week ago myself - right from the horses mouth - Peavey.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:48 AM

BTW- the 5150 will suffer the same fate possibly - not sure yet. the focus is on the guitars right now.
Peavey will probably keep producing the amps but change the look and the name. Ed only owns the logo/name on the amp, not the design.
but i guess most people think the 5150 sucks anyway and it won't matter to most what happens to it.
my 2cents - hope it is insightful.
(i own a 5150 (modded very soon) head and will buy a combo someday )

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

That is sad news

My original intention was to add the Wolfgang to the Universe I already have and I'm really reluctant to sell the Universe just for the sake of speeding the process along.

Ah well, time to look at the Axis again then! I prefer the less rounded Wolfgang body but I suppose an Axis with EVH pickups would fit the bill, and at least it has a set retail price with no speculators.

Or I could keep saving to see what happens when the Jem hits it's 20th anniversary...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:26 PM

I snoozed and lost... :-(
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

All may not be lost. Just been on the EBMM site using the build your own instrument option, and the Honey Burst Axis with matching headstock looks like a strong contender.

How similar are the Wolfgang and Axis? Is one more EVH than the other?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 02:55 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but as you know the EBMM Axis was Eddie's axe once he went the endorsement route. I don't think it's changed at all except it doesn't have his name anymore (again, I could be all wet). I wanted a maple arch top, and I'm pretty sure that's not an option on the Axis which kept me from going that route. I think that the Wolfgang was just a better looking instrument (with the arch top) than the Axis.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:09 PM

If you were going to wait ayway, why not wait and see what fruits will be borne of the EVH-Fender relationship? Somehow, i imagine the limited-edition Charvels are only the start.

If EVH owns the design, why not wait and see if Fender comes out with their own Wolfgang series in a few months? Hopefully it would weigh a little less than any Peavey ever built.

(What is it with that, anyway? Does all that Mississippi humidity soak into the wood Peavey uses? I've never picked up a Peavey guitar that didn't weigh a TON.)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 04:29 PM

My 5150 2x12 combo weighs a ton too!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali___
How similar are the Wolfgang and Axis? Is one more EVH than the other?
The Axis and Wolf are quite different - I own both (five Axis, a Wolf Special, and I owned a Wolf Standard for ages, but sold it) and they feel and tone of the guitars are not the same. The Wolf has a flatter fretboard radius and hotter pickups, and I don't like the feel of the arched top (the way it tilts the neck back and such). The Wolf Special is closer to the Axis in spec, but they really don't sound alike. I do like both guitars tho' - they're excellent designs, and either is a great axe!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Word from the Peavey Rep in my area is with the exception of Custom Shop orders in the works, all Wolfgang production has stopped.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto79
Word from the Peavey Rep in my area is with the exception of Custom Shop orders in the works, all Wolfgang production has stopped.
Geeze, that means there will only be about a gazillion of the things floating 'round... Seriously, unless you had your heart set on a CS, you'll always be able to find a good used Wolf cheap - there must have been 40,000 of the things made!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 11:56 PM

Besides being an Ibanez dealer, we're a pretty large Jackson and Charvel dealer. Response to the EVH Art Series guitars has been huge! I'd be surprised if the only thing that comes of Eddie's Charvel deal is the Art Series. Personally I'm guessing that once the excitement has died down a little bit, Charvel will introduce an EVH model that isn't striped and is targeted toward a wider guitar buying audience. I mean, think about all the stuff Eddie has done over the last 10+ years, where he uses alot more than just a bridge pickup on his guitars. If Eddie's going to be playing Charvels exclusively, the guitar he plays is going to have to be a hell of alot more versatile than the one that's currently in production.

As for the 5150? I guarantee Fender will run with it. Who knows, maybe they've bought up an amp company and will put the new 5150 in production under the new brand name? I can't really see Fender being able to sell a hard rock/metal amp. Time will tell though!

If you want to stay hip to this topic, tune into www.jcfonline.com. The Jackson Charvel forum. You'll see me over there as well.

Matt

Matt's Music Center
35 Pleasant St
Weymouth MA 02190 USA
781-335-0700
www.mattsmusic.com
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:03 AM

Wolfgang EVH_10 Vault guitar

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...48622evh10.jpg

I purchased this one locally.It was on the EVH vault site as EVH_10.There are small skulls and bones in the green paint and the back of the guitar is the same coloration as the front.I think it looks very kool.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:08 AM

EVH_02 Vault guitar

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...248620evh2.jpg

This is my other vault guitar.Not as flashy as EVH_10 but I like it.The back is all black.Listed on the EVH vault site as EVH_02.

Tags
bridge pickup , charvel evh , charvel evh art , charvel evh art series , custom shop , death metal , ebmm axis , equipped guitar , evh art series , flamed maple , fretboard radius , headstock shape , high gain amp , ibanez dealer , maple neck , phil collen , production model , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode