Petrucci hype.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Petrucci hype..

Can somebody fill me in on why the JPM's ( exluding the 90th) carry such a hefty pricetag? It's basswood, offset inlays like the premium or 3120, and DiMarzios.

Is it the paintjob your paying for? Or the name?
I love the P4, as I'm a camo fan but damn they are outrageously priced..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Petrucci hype..

Seriously you don't know why it's expensive?
Why Jems are expensive?
Maybe the word SIGNATURE will tell you something.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Seriously you don't know why it's expensive?
Why Jems are expensive?
Maybe the word SIGNATURE will tell you something.
Is that all? I'm being serious. I guess I don't understand how a guitar with everyday Ibanez appointments can carry such a hefty pricetag for that reason.

Thanks for the reply
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 PM

I think it had different switching options with the pickups. I could be wrong it has been so long ago that they came out. I think another reason they are expensive is that they don't make them anymore.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:46 PM

I finally played one today and let me tell you, IMO they are worth it, especially the roasted neck and the piezo. Fantastic feel and sound, Ibanez - style neck, but flatter and rounded on the sides, nice fretboard, large frets, great action. I am now looking for one...
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Piezo?
I think we're talking about different guitars.

It's just a rg guitar with nothing special besides Petrucci name.

Last edited by 6fingers; 03-23-2011 at 05:56 PM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I think another reason they are expensive is that they don't make them anymore.
That and they're seriously great guitars.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanrio View Post
That and they're seriously great guitars.
I just want to know what makes them so great over say a regular RG? I've been gassing for one because of the offsets and camo but can't afford the cost..
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I just want to know what makes them so great over say a regular RG? I've been gassing for one because of the offsets and camo but can't afford the cost..
They're just a rg with Petrucci name.
So what makes them great is it's a signature guitar.
Jems are rgs with Vai name.
Signature.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM

6fingers, I think your keyboard is stuck, you've made the same point 3 times. We get it, they are RGs with a name on them. Well, different name, neck, pickups, paint job and wiring but aside from that they are the same guitar.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Well the JEM has some obvious differences bs say an RG550. for example the grip, scalloped frets, vine inlay and Evo's.

I'm curious to see how the Viper neck feels
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 PM

Maybe it's because of pastel vomit paint job?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 AM

The name is what you pay for, this is true of most any guitar. Do you think it takes 3 times as long to CNC and assemble a JEM as it does an RG? Slightly longer maybe, but the profit margins are so high on these things anyways that they don't have to charge 3X more to recoup production costs.
Basically a company will charge as much as they can get someone to pay for their product, by selling a basic model as a signature model at a premium is just a way to make more money. Why do they do it? Cause people buy it. Is a $4000 JP better than a $1000 RG? Not really, not where it counts. Under the skin they are the same guitar.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

The Petrucci guitars had a unique pickup switching system, a unique neck profile and if memory serves a slightly different neck angle.

I pesume that makes then more slick feeling when played in a high up position like JP plays.

The signature line that 6fingers is on about doesn't hold up in a second hand market (all Ibnaez JPs will be second hand nowadays really). It's not like he's getting a cut of all these second hand sales!!! The second hand market supports what it will support. I think it's a combination of great guitar, rarity and association with Petrucci's "classic" phase that keeps the price as high as ever.
jono is online  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 AM

Hey Metalguy. to answer your question about price?? I found all of my JPMs for under $900. not that im bragging.. you just have to be patient and on the look out for one.. like evilbay.
I buy the jpms because i love the guitar itself. not because of the petrucci name. In fact i wish Ibanez would bring that exact guitar back and give it another model or name..
The discussion of whether the JPM and Jems are RGS underneath?? well that is an endless debate. any signature ibanez (if it resembles a RG) is and RG on Steroids if you ask me..
The Viper necks on JPMS are very nice. a tad thicker than the low wizard profile.. but not as thick as the Fender strats. they are very comfortable.
The jpm dont feel like the RG3120. ( i have 2 a 2001 & 2002) no they dont feel like the RG520s..
You can pick up a JPM, Jem, RG3120, Jcustom &some other prestiges and feel the solid craftmanship of them.. Hence the price tag.
At the same i have found some sweet playing RGs. for example i found a 1989 540PHH for $400.00 that out shreds my other 1989 540PHH for $1300.00.. I hope i helped you in some way. good luck..

Tags
jpm , petrucci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode