Petrucci model shootout: Ernie Ball VS Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 69
Petrucci model shootout: Ernie Ball VS Ibanez

Hey guys, I did a shootout with the Ibanez JPM100 and the Ernie Ball JP6 Petrucci models. I couldn't find anything like this on YouTube, so I figured it might be helpful.

Part 1: specs and aesthetics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WdPrhSrFls

Part 2: sounds and tones playtest!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gOg2Q8yZ4

Thanks for watching!

Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Re: Petrucci model shootout: Ernie Ball VS Ibanez

Nice vids man! Love the comparisons, I'm a sucker for guitar nerdery, and it's well done here. That P2 is in AWESOME shape. Green with envy over here.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM

Great comparison!!! Nice work!!!
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Haha, thanks dude! By the way, Charley from your band played a solo on our album. We are waiting for final mixes, but I'll send them to you when they are done.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM

I will say, totally I feel like the Music Man sounds much better in all arenas. The P2 sounds very much "RG" to me, which isn't a bad thing obviously, but there's a brittleness and "edge" to the the the Music Man does a great job of "rounding"

BTW, you're way too close and our tastes in gear and music way too similar for us to have never had pints and gabbed. We should rectify that some day.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severinsteelsmith View Post
Haha, thanks dude! By the way, Charley from your band played a solo on our album. We are waiting for final mixes, but I'll send them to you when they are done.
Seriously? I can't keep up with all of the stuff he's doing. Anxious to hear it. If I had half a quarter of the chops that guy has, I'd be lucky. Instead, I just buy the gear
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM

Cool man thanks for the videos... I agree with you I liked the MM for the cleans and the Ibanez with distortion...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 37

exactly what i expected.

all my ibanez sound thin through real amps.
but in 11r and gearbox sound amazing.

i got a korean dean that blows my ibanez away in the real amps arena but ibanez rules the recording gear or heavily processed gear with amps for instance a gmajor 2 in effects loop with ibanez is great.turn off the gmajor2 and sounds the crapp.then again the guitars that sound good without effects suck with gmajor2 they sound too thick.

this is why its good to have different types of guitars.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
I will say, totally I feel like the Music Man sounds much better in all arenas. The P2 sounds very much "RG" to me, which isn't a bad thing obviously, but there's a brittleness and "edge" to the the the Music Man does a great job of "rounding"
I would have to agree here. Brittle is the word I was thinking. The MM sounds so much fuller. Depends what your going for I guess.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post

BTW, you're way too close and our tastes in gear and music way too similar for us to have never had pints and gabbed. We should rectify that some day.
Yeah man, we should for sure! If you are ever in Greensboro, hit me up. Or I can make the short trek to Raleigh. I saw that you were selling a lot of your guitars. What do you have left?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severinsteelsmith View Post
Yeah man, we should for sure! If you are ever in Greensboro, hit me up. Or I can make the short trek to Raleigh. I saw that you were selling a lot of your guitars. What do you have left?
Copy that.

As for my collection, I've done a reasonable job of thinning the herd, but I had a relapse and am doing a Roscoe custom build (I'll actually be in Greensboro spec'ing it and picking the wood for the top this week). I've gone away from the Wizard necks recently and gotten back into more Gibson style necks/scale.

As for what I have left that I'm even considering parting with, I'm down to my Ibanez American Master MA3, a few Ibanez Prestige (SRG2520, RGT3120DA, RG3120), three BL850s (love those things!), an '87 RG550, a couple ESP Eclipses, a few of the import Washburn Dimes, a Washburn Culprit, a PRS Singlecut Tremolo, an '88 Heritage H-150, one of my Gibson LP Studio Lites....and a partridge in a pear tree? Wanna buy all of them? You know you need more

LoL, just looking at the list of stuff I might get rid of, I realize more than ever that I have a problem...it's a wonder the wife hasn't strangled me in my sleep...with a guitar string...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Haha, oh man I'm so in the same boat. If you consider selling the Singlecut, I might be interested. Granted I did make a promise to my gf that I wouldn't buy anymore guitars. It was a promise I wanted and decided to make of course, since I do have a problem as well haha. I knew a couple guys who worked for Roscoe but I'm not sure if they are still there.

What day are you dropping by Roscoe? If it's not on a day I teach, we could grab a pint, maybe nerd out on guitars and amps.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 25

wouldn't it be great if JP came back to Ibanez... Imagine how many of us would cream in our pants over the release of it and specs and design etc.... :P
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Petrucci model shootout: Ernie Ball VS Ibanez

Ibanez JPM=RULES!!! MM=Hideous!!! (Good playing and sounding though but can't get over the aesthetics)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Nice comparison-good work.

Tags
ernieball , jp6 , jpm100 , jpm100p2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode