Petty but frustrating... - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:01 AM

Re: Petty but frustrating...

There is a rash of this happening lately. Ibanez must've cut yet ANOTHER corner and went with some very cheap parts supplier over the past year. Sad, very sad.

MIJ is on it's way to being no better than MIK. If this keeps up, Ibanez Team JC will have no more credibility than MIK standards. If that happens, then it will make NO difference if they move all production (outside of JC) to Korea - which I think is not too far around the corner anyhow

Maybe this is Ibanez's way to prepare us for the inevitable move?

If they don't get on their game they stand to loose alot of players that support their Prestige MIJ line.

I ALWAYS recommend NOT buying cheap pot....er ... I mean pots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:04 AM

Someone should point one of the Ibanez admins to this thread.
I think Ibanez need to re-consider who supplies their pots because this is starting to sound like an all to regular problem.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:22 AM

Welcome to the dark years.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Very DARK indeed

From the sounds of things it is only getting darker. I just saw the new Ibanez V (has real Dimarzios) at my local shop yesterday and the tech was fixing a strap button issue and having to knock a little off of the price of the guitar due to the issue even though he did fix it.

It's a $599 ($799 list) guitar made in Indonesia The real Dimarzios shouldn't quantify the pricing to be that high for a string thru guitar.

I also want to know WHY they can put REAL Dimarzios in an MII guitar but not a MIJ or MIK guitar? WTF???????

Last edited by screamndemon69; 05-09-2007 at 11:42 AM.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezGirl View Post
Someone should point one of the Ibanez admins to this thread.
I think Ibanez need to re-consider who supplies their pots because this is starting to sound like an all to regular problem.
Unfortunately, those guys don't give a crap about this pot issue, Anne. I have been shouting about it daily since April 26 and there still isn't a single reply from any Ibanez representative on that forum about it. I also talked about the weird fret problem and one mod said "Only you, Dee, only you", meaning only I would have a problem like this, then something was muttered about the RG 20th getting the same build quality as the Prestiges, and then he disappeared.

Here's the thread: http://www.ibanez.com/forum/forum_po...?TID=7457&PN=1
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Two Tone View Post
What I mean is the tone and clarity aren't changed throughout the roll. With my Les Paul for instance, which has just some generic volume pot, the pot hardly does anything for the first half or so, then it starts to kill the punch and clarity as it gets to the end. I hardly turns the volume down.

With the Super pot the volume go down gradually as it should and the guitar keeps it's tone all the way down (well, for the most part).
i think i know what you mean, like how im sure the vol pot on my squier '51 cuts some high end as it gets rolled off and the volume/rotation relationship isnt very linear
(ok ok i know we hear sound logarithmically but im on about perceived volume here!!)
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 05:32 AM
bdk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
My 2006 RGA121's volume pot just siezed up today as I was adjusting the volume.

I was looking for warranty info. Kind of sucks that there are no local repair facilities. A repair that should only take a couple of minutes (ok, a couple of days) will probably take a couple of weeks to complete.

It is almost ridiculous to even bother going to the guitar shop, having them box it up and ship it for a $12 part. I guess that is what Ibanez is counting on. If I don't go through the trouble of returning it for warranty repair, it costs me $50 (to have the repair done) and saves Ibanez probably $100+ (shipping two ways, an hour of tech time and the part!?)

Sorry, but I can't count the number of pots that I've fried trying to install them myself.

I guess I can look at it as an opportunity to upgrade, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Man up and resolder it yourself. You will not "fry" the pot. Have faith in yourself.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
Man up and resolder it yourself. You will not "fry" the pot. Have faith in yourself.
Man up. That's funny.

Thanks for the vote of confidence though.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Unfortunately, those guys don't give a crap about this pot issue, Anne. I have been shouting about it daily since April 26 and there still isn't a single reply from any Ibanez representative on that forum about it. I also talked about the weird fret problem and one mod said "Only you, Dee, only you", meaning only I would have a problem like this, then something was muttered about the RG 20th getting the same build quality as the Prestiges, and then he disappeared.

Here's the thread: http://www.ibanez.com/forum/forum_po...?TID=7457&PN=1
Hmmmm.......i've just read your thread, and sadly i think you are right about them not giving a crap. What the hell is wrong with Ibanez and their lack of customer relations of late. I mean really, if they don't consider a pot a warranty issue, they could at least have the common courtesy of replying to you. And, i don't mean with a sarcastic comment like above, about your frets.
Are these Ibanez guys so far up their own asses these days, it's beyond them too communicate with their customers.

Seriously, stuff like this from companies makes me see red.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm.......i've just read your thread, and sadly i think you are right about them not giving a crap. What the hell is wrong with Ibanez and their lack of customer relations of late. I mean really, if they don't consider a pot a warranty issue, they could at least have the common courtesy of replying to you. And, i don't mean with a sarcastic comment like above, about your frets.
Are these Ibanez guys so far up their own asses these days, it's beyond them too communicate with their customers.

Seriously, stuff like this from companies makes me see red.
Wow girl, your getting pretty steamed there. Relax, and go to your "Happy Place". I haven't dealt with Ibanez customer relations yet, but from previous threads, I'm gathering they are deficient in this aspect. I do get pretty peeved when this happens in the non-guitar related world.

Not to sound yutzish, but what is a pot? Is it the volume/tone knob itself or the internals? I'm trying to enhance my knowledge. You can say it, I'm a dork; Jim has called me that before.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:18 AM

Its the electronic thingamabob underneath the black thingy with the numbers on it. There are 2 one for tone and one for volume, basically a resistor. And you adjust the resistance by turning it.

They are fairly cheap, and easy to replace. Less than 5 mins. Besides the stock ones are no good anyways.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...Pull_Pots.html

Last edited by dragsternj; 05-13-2007 at 02:30 AM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:22 AM

doublepost
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:25 AM

I love Ibanez guitars, and it's really sad to see on their own forum, a total disinterest in their customers and any problems that arise.
I think i need to stay away from their forum for awhile, because the more you see/hear and read, the more you really start to dislike how they handle things. Plus, i'll probably end up with high blood pressure, otherwise.

GC. It's the internals that control the knobs functions, that are seizing up.
And you aren't a dork.

Last edited by IbanezGirl; 05-13-2007 at 02:55 AM.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
I love Ibanez guitars, and it's really sad to see on their own forum, a total disinterest in their customers and any problems that arise.
I think i need to stay away from their forum for awhile, because the more you see/hear and read, the more you really start to dislike how they handle things. Plus, i'll probably end up with high blood pressure, otherwise.

GC. It's the internals that control the knobs functions, that are seizing up.
And you aren't a dork.
Thanks IG! The only stupid question is the one not asked.

I came to this forum originally, because I love Ibanez guitars, even though I don't have one yet. It is disheartening to hear the various problems people have had with their customer service dept. It sounds like maybe Ibanez has gotten a little bigheaded?
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 AM

I don't think this is a new problem in the customer service dept.

The corner cutting, lack of good customer service and now the quality control drop in the Prestige line seems to be the current state of affairs at Ibanez.

Tags
custom shop , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , les paul , strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode