PGM vs. Jem guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

PGM vs. Jem guitars

Hello fellow Jemsiter's, I was wondering if you can help me out on this. I love Paul Gilbert so much! He is my favourite guitarist ever but I dont know about his tone.
When I saw him at a clinic (he signed my guitar that night aswell) he had a great tone that was so versatile without even fidling with his Laney.
The problem is that my freind bought a Jem recently and I loved the tone so much! It had the screaming leads that I didnt think were possible but I prefer Gilbert to Vai (I still love Vai though) but I dont know if I will be able to get those screaming leads with his guitar. Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting a PGM just for his name; I dont really want a tremolo guitar and I want a blazing lead tone. The Ibanez gives me that tone but it has a trem.
My question is... will the PGM give me a tone even close to the Jem? Better? Can it go heavier? What guitar is better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 06:18 PM

Re: PGM vs. Jem guitars

I started a thread like this a while back, and got flamed for it. You may want to offer specifics, like neck comparisions? or pickup comarisions?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Actually I forgot to mention that! I love the tone of the neck pickup on the Jem, how does the PGM stand up to it? And is the neck on the PGM as easy to slide around on? Is the scale close? Is the neck removable?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:38 PM
m0p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gilbert
Actually I forgot to mention that! I love the tone of the neck pickup on the Jem, how does the PGM stand up to it? And is the neck on the PGM as easy to slide around on? Is the scale close? Is the neck removable?
The PGM has the same neck as the RG Prestige series, afaik. It's the same as the JEM neck, just slightly thinner and a slightly different shape.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0p
The PGM has the same neck as the RG Prestige series, afaik. It's the same as the JEM neck, just slightly thinner and a slightly different shape.
And hence, is a different neck lol. Even the JEM necks can vary greatly between models/years, resulting in alot of variation in feel and preference between users. Your best bet is to play one for yourself, necks are about feel. Specs can give you a very rough idea what it might be like, but you have to sit down and play the axe for yourself.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible_kid_
And hence, is a different neck lol. Even the JEM necks can vary greatly between models/years, resulting in alot of variation in feel and preference between users. Your best bet is to play one for yourself, necks are about feel. Specs can give you a very rough idea what it might be like, but you have to sit down and play the axe for yourself.
Agreed, but as far as tone goes it's all relative. A simple change of pickups can really change the sound of a guitar. Although if you're talking about spending JEM or PGM money and you want a fixed bridge then I would go with an RGA instead. It comes with that new Gibralter bridge which I hear good things about, same neck profile as the PGM, better wood than the PGM IMO (I would take mahogany/maple top over basswood or alder anyday), and it'll probably cost you less than either guitar leaving you money to swap out the stock pickups if you so choose.

You've got two options in the RGA series being the 121 and the 321. The major difference between the two is the figured top on the 321, but it is a GORGEOUS figured top if you're into that sort of thing. The 121 will run you about $900 and the 321 will run you about $1300. Either way, still cheaper than a JEM or a PGM unless you find them used and the RGAs just seem like the better guitar for a fixed bridge and the money.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible_kid_
Your best bet is to play one for yourself, necks are about feel.
Exactly. Try before you buy; I purchased an Ibanez sight-unseen and when it got here, it wasn't for me. The only way I buy a guitar long distance now is if I've played the exact same one in person myself. Even that can be a gamble, because identical guitars can actually be quite different themselves. Guitars are like fingerprints... no two are the same.

-R
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:29 PM
RCB

different jems have different pups. You probably should be more specific.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:44 PM

Okay. the current PGM301 is a basswood+PAF Pro/JEM Single/Paf Pro combo, which was the combo found on earlier Jems. If you're not too hot on trems, I'd say that the PGM is the way to go for you.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Thats the problem... I live in Ireland so I can't try it anywhere because nobody sells them! And this RGA, does anybody else think its better? I'll have to look into it more. Thanks Peops
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:04 AM

I've played RGAs and I didn't really care for them. The Gilbert model is and excellent guitar, with great pickups and great tones. Its a more comfortable hardtail than the RGAs in my oppinion too, the Gibralter bridge on the RGA struck me as kinda clunky feeling. And snce I freaking love maple too, I thought it felt great. Plus dude, take a trip up to musician inc in Dublin some day, they have a great selection of Ibanez guitars.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:59 AM

My 2 Cents.. My friend owns a JEM7VWH and I own a PGM30. Granted.. the Jem is a really good guitar.. my friends JEM screeches.. I mean its a good guitar to solo and all... i still don't think it has the tone that my PGM has even for a stock pickup.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 PM

Reviews: 1

The RGA has no Single Coil. That Bugs me a lot

What PGM do you want?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 PM

Go for the 90th PGM Rich has.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
Okay. the current PGM301 is a basswood+PAF Pro/JEM Single/Paf Pro combo, which was the combo found on earlier Jems. If you're not too hot on trems, I'd say that the PGM is the way to go for you.
Exactly...

and, pickups are pretty easy to change... (easier than going from a trem to a hardtail anyway :P)

Tags
fixed bridge , ibanez guitars , jem neck , les paul , les pauls , neck pickup , paf joe , paf pro , paf pro combo , paf pros , paul gilbert , pro combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode