PGM vs. Wizard I & II - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

PGM vs. Wizard I & II

Is the old (80's) PGM back of neck profile the thinnest Ibanez profile ever?

I have a Ibanez Japan all maple neck from the 80's, reverse headstock and antique white headstock finish (similar to the White UV finish). F245563 is the serial #, any other info on this neck would be appreciated i.e. date, if it's a high end RG or PGM neck, etc... The front of the headstock says nothing but Ibanez.

So from flattest to fattest is it: PGM, Wiz I, Wiz II?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:36 AM

I believe that the wiz 2 is the flattest. And i think on the new PGM models there is a wiz 2 neck. or am i totally wrong?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 04:38 AM

no you are right. the pgm 300 has a PGM profile neck. Now im interested. lets wait for some answers.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 05:24 AM

Reviews: 2
The thinest neck I played was my old 540 Power, this was very thin. It is similar to the wizard/superwizard neck.

The PGM high end guitars have the wizard neck as on most RG's although the PGM500 is slightly different as it's a volute (sp?) not a scarf joint.
Superwizard necks have the stripe

The Wizard II is fatter somewhat similar to a Jem neck from what I remember, this is what is on the current PGM30.

If it dosen't say PGM series on the headstock then it's not a PGM neck

Regards
P
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Is there any other difference in the back profile of the neck on a "super" wizard? Or is it just the re-enforcement stripe that makes it "super"?

So is there even a JPM back profile? or is the JPM profile just a Wizard I?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:40 AM

Yup just the reinforcement stripe makes it super

The JPM is a Viper profile I think. Don't know how this compares I've never played/owned a JPM guitar.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
COntra - the serial number of your guitar suggests it's not a late 80's model but a 1992 model. The 92 Catalogue states the PGM300's neck dimensions as being those of the original Wizard neck. I'd guess if you PGM's neck feels thinner or flatter, you got that by chance rather than design, most likely from overzealous hand finishing. In 1992 and 1993 when the PGM300 was available to the world market it didn't bear the PGM logo.

The Wizard II profile is slightly fatter and thicker than the original Wizard neck, a shape more like the original JEM neck profile.

The JPM neck shape was based on, I believe, the "Ultra" neck profile a slightly thicker and also narrower neck shape, having a 42mm wide nut instead of the 43mm found on the Wizard/JEM necks
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 06:49 AM

I never knew that about JPM necks or the PGM300 no logo thing.

That JPM neck sounds quite cool.

P
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jono!

That's very interesting. That "over-zealous hand finishing" may be partly due to my sanding the clear coat off of the back of the neck quite thoroughly.

So just to clarify: The Wizard I IS the flattest profile then?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I believe so, the original Wizard neck has a 43mm nut width and a 17mm depth at the first fret, rising to 20mm at the 12th fret and a fingerboard radius of 430mm. Which is the flattest neck I can find listed.

The Wizard II neck profile was described in the 94 catalogue as being the same width at the nut, but having a slightly rounder fingerboard, and a 2mm deeper profile.

I've believe that the "Super-wizard" is just a wizard neck with the bubinga stripe, but I've also heard unsubstantiated rumours that it's somehow flatter or thinner or something, but I doubt those personally.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:36 AM

well, my RG570 seemingly has a plain old wizard neck, but it has the bubinga stripe up the back. I didnt think they made a wizard neck without a bubinga stripe. *shrugs*

its funny, for the SLIGHT size difference between the wizard 1 and wizard 2, switching between the two feels like switching from fretting on a toothpick to fretting on a log lol
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:40 AM

Reviews: 5
According to my catalogs here-

Super Wizard/Wizard profile is the flattest
Wizard II is slightly more rounded in profile
JEM neck specs are almost exactly the same as Wizard II
Ultra Neck is similar but more narrow and fuller at the bottom
JPM based on Ultra Neck
PGM uses Wizard neck
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 11:46 AM

The profile is so barely different on the bubinga wizards its almost impossible to tell the difference. It seems thinner in places and thicker in others. Anyway, I dont know if I could live without my bubinga now. Im in love with how stable it is
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for clearing that up for me everyone!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 01:30 PM

I've got all three neck types, a wizard on my PGM, a super-wizard on my S-series and a wizard II on my RG, but the first two play and feel perfectly alike....
The RG neck has got a far more massive feel cause its far more rounded, and starts thicker as well

My problem is the next: on my Paul Gilbert it says Wizard-neck with bubinga, doesn't that make it a super-wizard ? it's a 90Ham btw....

Tags
clear coat , fingerboard radius , jem neck , jem neck profile , jpm neck , maple neck , neck dimensions , neck shape , paul gilbert , reverse headstock , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode