PGM100RE - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
PGM100RE

I'm a big Mr. Big fan and I'm thinking about getting the new PGM100RE. I just wanted others thoughts and opinions on it. Is $2,000 too much for what it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Re: PGM100RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaystar View Post
Is $2,000 too much for what it is?
$2000 is too much for any guitar
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 PM

If it's worth it to you to have one, then it's not too much. Just keep in mind that it is an anniversary model and is priced higher than it might otherwise be as a result. If you want a PGM100 and are nervous about the price, the used market is probably the place to look.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaystar View Post
I'm a big Mr. Big fan and I'm thinking about getting the new PGM100RE. I just wanted others thoughts and opinions on it. Is $2,000 too much for what it is?
That's a question only you can answer.

Which means more to you, the money or the guitar?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 AM

Reviews: 21

For a player guitar it's too much money.
For a collector's guitar, it's a bargain.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 AM

its not the original. wait and watch around on some sites...or here.there are pgm100's out here. you find one for sure.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:51 AM

2 grand for a guitar with non-matching pickup covers?* Wouldn't do it

(this is a 1990 PGM100 with matching pickup covers, mine)

Don't know how common/expensive PGM100s are on the US second hand market, but they're probably cheaper than 2000 bucks. I don't know if they're 'superior' compared to the reissue, haven't tried the reissue yet. Otherwise compared to other new Ibanez guitars, it's still pretty expensive, about as much as the PGM401; RG3620Z, but has a nice trem and set of pickups.

* thanks marianozz for that one.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 AM
DJR

I wouldn't pay $2000 for any guitar with those damn horrible transparent peachy pink things in them. Whatever happened to the Dimarzios of old that were solid pink? It makes the pgm100 and Jem FP look so tacky.

If they did another RG770 reissue, would it be $2000 ? ...it's a lot of extra dough for the pink decals. In fact I would prefer the IBZ USA (dimarzios) F series pups and the choice of a tone control anyway, and they didn't even bother pinking up the sharkfins, ala FGMs. No offence to PG, he rocks, but it is an overpriced guitar, period.

But just to be a complete hypocrite; I've had two 100's over the years and loved em both lol

Last edited by DJR; 02-08-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: white trash grammar
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 AM

I think it's way too much....because i can't afford it

If it were $200 i'd just about manage it i think
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 08:47 AM

I keep hoping one day Ibanez will make a guitar and no one will start a thread crying that it is overpriced.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I keep hoping one day Ibanez will make a guitar and no one will start a thread crying that it is overpriced.
HAHAHA. That's true. But I keep hoping Gibson does the same
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
We can all dream, can't we?

The pickups are a non-issue. They look just like they always did. The pink humbuckers never match the pink single coils. Even on Brambram's PGM100 "matching" pickups, they're not exactly the same. Brand new sets that I bought five years ago don't match either. It's just part of it. It's not like Ibanez couldn't get their sh!t together, it's that DiMarzio just makes the damn things that way. If you want all pink H-S-H pickups, you're going to have to deal with a little color variation. Why can't they get them to match? Who knows. Different plastics? Different dyes? Different batches? Whatever.

Comparing the reissue to the original is like comparing the original RG550 to the 20th reissues. They're the same, but different. Go look at all the threads dealing with the reissue 550's and then decide if you want to spend $2k on the PGM100RE.

It's personal taste here. You like it or you don't. If you don't, you can always find a reason not to buy. I like the guitar as a whole, and I like the updates on the reissues, so I'm getting one and paying $2k, because that's what they're charging. You don't want to spend $2K, buy used or buy some f-hole stickers.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
HAHAHA. That's true. But I keep hoping Gibson does the same
Not here they never will be able to.
It's more about "customers" being cry babies than anyone actually "overpricing" things.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
We can all dream, can't we?

The pickups are a non-issue. They look just like they always did. The pink humbuckers never match the pink single coils. Even on Brambram's PGM100 "matching" pickups, they're not exactly the same. Brand new sets that I bought five years ago don't match either. It's just part of it. It's not like Ibanez couldn't get their sh!t together, it's that DiMarzio just makes the damn things that way. If you want all pink H-S-H pickups, you're going to have to deal with a little color variation. Why can't they get them to match? Who knows. Different plastics? Different dyes? Different batches? Whatever.
The whole matching pickup covers thing is a joke obviously. The ones on the older (original) PGM100s do tend to match better (on all PGM100s I've seen anyway), probably because when they fade, they're more alike or something like that. Can't really see the difference on mines.

Tags
ibanez pgm100re gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

compare pgm300re and pgm100re

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode