PGM200 tone... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

PGM200 tone...

Hello! I’m a proud owner of a PGM200. I really love the guitar. The thing that I find unusual is the tone. It definitely sounds totally different than my other Ibanez guitars. I would say it sounds more high toned, by far.

Anyone else familiar with this? Didn’t know if this was normal for the Gilbert guitars or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 07:30 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: PGM200 tone...

What are your other Ibanez guitars? The PGM200 has three PAFs, right? Those are lower output than many other Ibanez guitars. They probably have more midrange than say, the Jem. I love the PAF-like pickups in the Satriani guitars and my PGM900.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM

I've got a PGM 100 which has the same hardware / scale length etc as your guitar. But it's got a Jem single in the middle. Mine sounds very similar to my Jem 77FP (same pickup config - PAFs).
Feels very different though due to the neck profile.

I've never tried a PGM 200. I guess if the sound is unique it might be the triple humbucker configuration that gives it combinations in position 2 / 3 / 4 that you would get from something like a Paf loaded Jem.

I guess it also has the advantage that you don't get the volume drop off that you get on jems / PGM100 when you switch from the humbucker to single coil positions.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

The pgm model doesn’t have a tone knob, obviously, so I can’t adjust it that way. I figured using the bridge pickup would be similar as my other Ibanez guitars. I would say the JEM tone is in the middle of JS models and the PGM200. Maybe I thought it would be more like an RG.

I haven’t opened the guitar up, but I may see if there are any capacitors in there loosing their spec.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Here’s a pic!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3177E9EB-D664-4A7A-AF26-4BFFFA05DB8C_1575639591304.jpeg (46.3 KB, 2 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode