PGMs vs JEMs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PGMs vs JEMs

I want to know how you guys think of them. what's the good and bad things about them?
I personally think that the PGMs are better. I like the maple fret board of the PGM300, and also some PGMs come with fixed bridge. on the other hand all JEMs come with floating trem.
one more reason is that the PGMs look better IMO. I love those f-holes and the reverse headstock! the JEMs look great but they are a little bit too fancy... I love SIMPLE
both of them sound great!! it depends on the style of music you play. I'm a Paul & Vai fans so both of them sound EXCELLENT for me
one thing i like about the JEMs that the PGMs don't have is the scalloped frets... but the new JEMs don't come with it anymore
these are just my own opinions. I want to hear from you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:01 AM

i prefer PGMs too, i love simplicity and 'straightness', and i don't like front-loaded guitars that much.

i would go for a PGM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:53 AM

PGM for me too!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 12:40 PM

I have a Jem77BFP and a PGM300 (and previously had a Jem7DBK).
Tone can be disputed- they're both pretty different toneally. The BFP and DBK are both a bit warmer and rounder, while I find the PGM300 has a lot of nice crunch to it (TZ in the bridge), and is a bit thinner sounding overall (even in the neck position). Just want to say that's not a bad thing- just different. Personally, I feel the PGM's sound just 'rocks' more, where the Jem is more of a beast for multiple applications.
The necks are quite a bit different, too. The PGM's is much thinner than the Jem77BFP's, and not far off from the DBK's 'Super Wizard'. It's a great feel! But then again, I like Ultra necks too, so... well, there you go. It's definately a neck that makes you feel you can play fast.

In the looks department, I love my PGM300. Love those f-holes. And the way the volume knob is out of the way is simply awesome! I find myself hitting the volume knob on the Jem more now since I'm used to just flailing on the PGM. Scalloped frets? I never saw any use for them, other than the tone compensation thing. Up on 21-24, you can't really dig in anyhow, so they're only cosmetic to me.

Bottom line, if I had to choose between the BFP and the PGM, I'd go for the PGM. But then I'd curse myself for letting the BFP go. And then I'd kill the guy that made me choose between the two.

-Ben
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 03:46 AM

PGM all the way
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:30 AM

Hmm. I think the JEM looks gorgeous, yet theres somthing about the fixed bridge PG and maple neck that attracts me. Bah sod it, gimmie both
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:44 AM

Did not have the possibility to have one PGM but I'm more and more attracted to one (...especially this amazing PGM 90th). I was told and told again that the PGM sound is really amazing and much creazier than JEM. Not sure that JEM really look better than PGM with regards to f-holes. I'm really attracted by the fixed bridge. So I would say PGM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:06 PM

I play my BSB-Jem most, then comes PGM90 and third is BFP-Jem. The fact that BSB is always available on a stand and others are in their cases probably has something to do with it though. I like them all (but think of selling BFP to get American series Strat ).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:16 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekkaM
(but think of selling BFP to get American series Strat ).
I would sell off the PGM90 :P

I have both..PGMs and JEMs.
After the shape of the body and headstock...they are hard to compare.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

um... seems many people like the PGMs better
thats great! I thought I was one of the very few people who like PGMs crazily

Tags
fixed bridge , fret board , maple fret , maple fret board , maple neck , neck position , reverse headstock , scalloped frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode