Pic of completed PGM301 Jester - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Pic of completed PGM301 Jester

I finally got around to taking a decent (not great but decent) picture of my assembly PGM301 Jester that was painted by Sims Custom Shop. The neon really pops in the image I took but still, I decided to buy a new camera and read up digital photography because it's not my strong suit.

In case you missed the original thread which has more pics of the guitar in it, here's a link:

Pics of PGM301 done by Sims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM

Re: Pic of completed PGM301 Jester

thats one of my favourite custom paint jobs from all the ones ive seen (been browsing project guitar). It really does remind you of a jester
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:43 AM

very nice congrats! thanks for sharing the finished masterpiece.

it must be a VERY cool guitar to get three different threads started about it

the pups you installed are....?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
it must be a VERY cool guitar to get three different threads started about it
I'm excited about it but not that excited. I figured it made more sense to start a new thread with the completed pic vs. resurrecting the old thread.
Quote:
the pups you installed are....?
Tone Zone in the bridge (I've been on the Tone Zone train since the pickup was available back in '91), Pro Track in the middle and PAF Joe in the neck.

The Pro track is a really cool middle pickup. With distortion, it gives a nice rhythm/lead volume change between it and the Tone Zone. The fact that it's a little brighter than the Tone Zone makes it work really well. When it's split with the Tone Zone, it gets a nice meaty Strat-like tone.

The reason I mention all that is because I feel that lots of folks dismiss the middle single coil. It's typically used only in combination it with a coil from the bridge or neck pup. However, a side-by-side single humbucker can give you one extra very useable sound IMHO if you choose the right one.

I've got a Chopper I'm going to combine with a TZ and Humbucker from Hell in my other PGM and I'm looking forward to see how that combination works out.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:11 AM

thanks for the info. i just figured i'd razz you a bit starting a new thread - it's all good.

the Jester might end up like Cerealk's blue swirl popping up at every turn eventually seeing it is done so well and so unique in the finish dept.

i am personally not a TZ guy and have tried a couple on a few different RGs and still no love for them but i'm also a guy who doesn't like the "scooped mids" in my sound. it always seemed my tone got lost in the mix with the TZ and didn't "pop" during leads. mids seemed to bring out the lead in the mix for the stuff we do.

i want to try the HFH and the Chopper and Pro Track sound like nice choices for mid pups.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I recently put a Norton in my LP Classic which I'm evaluating. As much as I love the Tone Zone, I do realize that there are other pups out there and like most guitar players, I'm always looking for the ultimate tone. That being said, I'll probably have to end up putting a Norton in one of my PGMs to really get a good feel for it. So far, it works well in the LP.

I too do not scoop my mids. As a matter of fact, I actually boost them a bit using pups like the TZ and Norton seems to be working for me so far.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:26 AM

not to off-track your Jester thread but aren't the TZ's mid-scooped?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
not to off-track your Jester thread but aren't the TZ's mid-scooped?
The Tone Zone has the highest mid value (8.5) except for the Breed bridge (9.0). You might be thinking of Steve's Special. That's the only high power Dimarzio humbucker that I recall having scooped mids.

The TZ's tone specs are:
Treble = 5
Mid = 8.5
Bass = 8.5
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 AM

Thumbs up Re: Pic of completed PGM301 Jester

thanks. i actually have a Steve's Special laying around that i've never installed on anything and i actually have two TZ's still in my parts box. i need to do some "house cleaning" in my parts box and swap/sell of some of these for ones i'll actually use.

if you ever get the chance to put up some sound clips of Jester, i'd be interested in hearing it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 PM

this is my first time seeing it with all the hardware, and it definitely looks freaking awesome
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 PM

very cool and unique
enjoy it!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM

That paintjob is insane!!! Love it! Good job!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:08 PM

great!soo good...nice....extreme!!!! love it!! have fun....i'll bet you have!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:05 AM

just amazing, lovely, stunning, awesome, beautiful, insane, ...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 AM

That paintjob looks very well done, nice job Mr.Sims & congrats toneboy

Tags
breed bridge , custom shop , guitar players , neck pup , paf joe , scooped mids , sims custom , sims custom shop , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode