Pick-up suggestions for RG1550M? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Pick-up suggestions for RG1550M?

Picked up a Prestige RG1550M from a forumite in a trade, and I fully agree with him - the pick-ups suck. However, I really like the guitar. After changing to .010's, and some minor tweaks, I dig it alot...
So, I'm thinking SD JB/Jazz or '59, or looking into Dimarzio's, though I don't know a whole lot about them. I've used Duncans forever.

I play mostly high-gain, through a 5150II/6505+, and the V7/V8's sound dull, lifeless, and weak. I've looked elsewhere, and have heard much about the Vai Evolutions. I want a harmonic-rich tone, with tight low-end, as well as more gain/output than the stock pick-ups.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Pick-up suggestions for RG1550M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezgas View Post

Suggestions?
Yeah--spend some time searching the "Pickups & wiring" area, as this question comes up a few times every week--folks get tired of answering the same question over and over and over and over and over and over.......you get the idea.............

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

I've got a suggestion as for you as well - Spend some time learning how to be more respectful, smartass..If it ruins your whole day to see these requests, maybe you'll get smart enough not to read/ answer them?? Somehow, I have my doubts on either happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Yeah--spend some time searching the "Pickups & wiring" area, as this question comes up a few times every week--folks get tired of answering the same question over and over and over and over and over and over.......you get the idea.............

Last edited by ibanezgas; 06-26-2010 at 01:30 AM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
I've got a suggestion as for you as well - Spend some time learning how to be more respectful, smartass..If it ruins your whole day to see these requests, maybe you'll get smart enough not to read/ answer them?? Somehow, I have my doubts on either happening.
There's no reason to get your panties in a bunch--I just pointed out the search feature, since your question is a common, daily-asked one. And, I don't answer them--I just try to help folks away from the spoon-fed kiddie table by showing them where the road map is. If you want to start talking about respect, then leave the name-calling and other negative banter out of it.

Last edited by AlaskaBat; 06-26-2010 at 03:00 AM. Reason: info
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Guys, I'm not wearing a moderator hat at the moment, but trust me, I can go get it

AlaskaBat come on buddy, I know you know just to sit out the threads you're not interested in helping out with and ibanezgas, don't fire back a the guy, he's trying to point you in the direction of the search function, which can be found...

here

to answer the OP's original question, the Evolutions sound exactly like what you need. BUT they do come with a price, yes they're high output with greatharmonics and a tight low end, but in an Ibanez RG through a high gain valve amp like you're using, you will start to sound a bit like Steve Vai. If you like that idea then they're definately the pickups for you If not, the D-activators are similar but without "so" much of the Vai tone.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:

What Jono said, and also what Alaskabat said. Don't be afraid of the search function.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 AM

I'll suggest the Dimarzio Crunch lab and liquifire F-spaced. They are fantastic. I swapped out the stock Tone Zone and Norton from my RRG6 and put these pickups in and they smoke! I just got a new RG1527 Prestige and I put the 7 string version of these pickups in there as well and talk about opening things up and just blazing! They sound great!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM

Ill second the liquifire/crunchlab combo. The crunchlab is great for high gain rhythm work and the liquifire is an equally awesome pickup, but only with the right amp i find. Sounds great through my mark v!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM

I have an Air Norton in the neck position of a really similar guitar and it sounds great. Whatever you do, avoid a Tone Zone in the bridge. I don't like that pickup regardless, but in a mahogany guitar it sounds alright. In the basswood RG1550, eek.

If you went with an Air Norton in the neck, you could go for the previous Petrucci pickup, the D-Sonic on the bridge. I'm going to be using that arrangement in an RG8520 of mine.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 05:51 PM

I'd go with Evolutions
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM

If you want tight low-end, go for the Evo 2 in the bridge. I have an RG with a D-Sonic in the bridge now, bar towards neck.

In fact, it is only there because I want to record it before selling it, and for final tests.

It's a great pickup for soloing, maybe even better than the Evo 2 because it's not as compressed, but I miss the tight powerchords from the Evo 2 and the black baseplate and magnets.

The Super 3 also seems to fit your needs.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:40 AM

Reviews: 18

I have a RG550, which is essentially the same guitar. I think your going to get a bunch of different recommendations, but mine is for a Tonezone/Paf pro combo. The tonezone isn't super high output, but it can handle gain very well. Its more ouput than the stock pickups, so no worries. They don't call it a tone zone for nothing. The paf pro is also my favorite neck pickup ever! It has such a distinct sound and has the tonal qualities I've been after.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:25 AM

I had an RG3120 with a PAF Pro in the neck and I really miss that setup since selling the guitar. Once I get around to switching the pickups in my RGT320, it's definitely getting a PAF Pro in the neck position.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Hub

PAF Pro in neck and bridge and your done
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:28 PM

If you really like the Duncan pickups, the Custom 5 bridge and Jazz in the neck combo is also great. I have that as stock on my purple J Custom. It's the one that I haven't modified...........YET!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode