Picked up a Yamaha RGX612S - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15
Picked up a Yamaha RGX612S

[backstory]
Ever since they came out in the 80s, I wanted a Yamaha RGX series guitar. Basically for no other reason than I thought they looked really cool when they came out. But being incredibly poor back then, I couldn't afford one.

While doing a basic search through craigslist, I found someone selling a few guitars. Nothing specific in the listing, but I checked and there was a Yamaha RGX 612s. I thought about it for a little bit and finally made the call. The guy said it hadn't been touched since the early 90s and needed some work. The price was right, so I bought it. I had my younger son with me and he had a look of "what the hell are you going to do with this?" look on his face.

It was missing the middle pickup. I knew it was going to be a project, but overall the guitar was in good shape. I got it home and when I had some time, I started tackling it. There was so much grime on the neck, I had to use a single edge razor blade to get most of it off. Then I used #0000 steel wool. It was the most steel wool I have ever used cleaning a guitar. But the result brought the neck back to life.

The guitar took a lot of work, but it's really a nice guitar.
[/backstory]

But, there is one problem with it. One of the tuning knobs on the RM Pro tremolo is stripped. Not the screw itself, the housing for the screw.

I have 2 choices: Do a tap and die and insert a thread repair, or simply replace the trem.

Does anyone know if a Floyd Rose trem is a direct replacement for the RM Pro tremolo? If I don't have to do any extra work, that'll probably be my course of action. But I'm open to other suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 AM

Re: Picked up a Yamaha RGX612S

I have a similar problem with my RGX612, one of my clamshell locks on the bridge was stripped. I'm sure by now you've figured something out, but I'm thinking of picking up a cheaper RGX with the RM trem off of Reverb.com on the cheap as a replacement. From other forums and an 80's/90's Yamaha collector I've been following, it's doable without any routing, but new anchors need to be installed as well as correct neck scaling for the intonation. The group however mentioned few are pleased with the results.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 15

I went with a helicoil. It's working perfectly. A simple $12 fix and I'm thinking of tapping the other 5, just for the added support of the helicoil vs the cheap trem metal.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 AM

Pics dude, pics
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
I went with a helicoil. It's working perfectly. A simple $12 fix and I'm thinking of tapping the other 5, just for the added support of the helicoil vs the cheap trem metal.
Nice, that sounds like a great idea. I've recently been having issues with the bridge unwrapping the ball end of the strings somehow, so I look forward to giving this a shot!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespauled View Post
Nice, that sounds like a great idea. I've recently been having issues with the bridge unwrapping the ball end of the strings somehow, so I look forward to giving this a shot!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Pics dude, pics
+1.

Mooooooooo

Tags
yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode