picking a new S - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

picking a new S

hey guys, i'm looking for a new s series guitar! i like how the s320 plays but im not too sure about the "weathered black" finish...what suggestions do you guys have for something under $500? i don't use tremolos that much and play mainly alternative rock, a bit of metal. im loving the new s470 but its a bit out of my price range. any suggestions?

i'd love to get something super nice but i'm afraid i dont have the skills to play it or know what to check for when buying the guitar

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 22
Exclamation Re: picking a new S

does it have to be new?

I'd go with a newer sa, or sz series if you really werent into using a trem.

But if you really like the s series style (who doesn't?) then i'd shop around for a used but not abused example. I see used s470's going for $250,$400 all the time.

I wasn't a great player when i bought my s2170, but it really helps to learn on a great instrument....preferably ibanez!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Re: picking a new S

Yeah, if you don't use the trem that much, you'll start to hate it when you get string breakages etc. Sz or Sa seem like more sensible options.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 PM

But if you use the trem..

the ZR is amazingly smooth :O
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Reviews: 12

I've read good reviews regarding the S320... i'm sure they're not bad for what they're worth. if ya keep an eye out, an SV470 or SF470 might be your best bet.

Reg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM

my first guitar was a sz320, great fret access.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

How does the body of the sa or sz feel in comparison to the s? From the description off the Ibanez site it seems like the sz is really thick.

Where do you guys usually buy used guitars from? My local store didn't seem to have any used stuff for sale and I don't really trust **** that much. I've been watching craigslist for a while but nothing interesting has shown up.

I guess I'll try to head to a farther store on the weekend and see if they have any of these models. I'm really GASing for the new blue s470 at the moment tho hahaha
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dres_x View Post
Thanks for the replies!

How does the body of the sa or sz feel in comparison to the s? From the description off the Ibanez site it seems like the sz is really thick.

Where do you guys usually buy used guitars from? My local store didn't seem to have any used stuff for sale and I don't really trust **** that much. I've been watching craigslist for a while but nothing interesting has shown up.

I guess I'll try to head to a farther store on the weekend and see if they have any of these models. I'm really GASing for the new blue s470 at the moment tho hahaha
If you haven't, you should post a "Looking For" ad in the classifieds here. Also check out Musicgoround.com - they have stores all over the country, and will ship to you whereever you are. I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't trust e-bay, I don't necessarily think they have the best business practices, but I've bought and sold hundreds of items on there and only had problems 3 times, and 2 of those I got my money back from Paypal. Sure, don't get a $900 guitar from someone with no feedback that uses only stock photos, that's risky, but there's plenty of reputable folks there. But, to each his own.

That being said, you should also look for S Classics, those are pretty cool, especially the SC420s. They are non-trem, and a 25" scale, so it's between Gibson and Fender.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 AM

I had the 320 for 1 day and sent it back! I usually don't write negative posts, but for the $$$ you spend on this guitar you can get a much better S used. You can tell right off that the hardware was inferior, the frets were not level and the ends were sharp. I had a problem screwing in the trem arm, when I finally did, it was loose and felt sloppy. The P/U's were OK, the finish was actually pretty nice. I played it for an hour, set it up better, but it just didn't do it for me. The neck profile of the Wizard II felt blocky, not like the other II's Ive played on other S guitars.

Take this for what it's worth, if the guitar does it for you then go for it, if you can play it first and you like it, that's all that matters. I happened to log onto e-bay the day I sent the guitar back to where I got it and saw a S520wnf in excellent condition for $420 BIN with ohsc. I snatched it up and it is one of my favorite guitars now. Wiz I neck, perfect condish, great frets, sweet finish and MIJ. My point is to wait and be patient and you will find a deal for an axe that you really want.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Alright I'll keep looking for some used stuff...been reading around the forums and it seems that the current S-series have probs?

Has anyone tried the SA260FM? How does that compare?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dres_x View Post
Thanks for the replies!

To me the difference is massive.
My favorite part of the S is the thin body. I cant really comment on the SZ, but the SA has the same overall shape to a degree, but the feel is just totally different. its heavier, bulkier, obviously much thicker and overall just not close to as comfortable to me.

But then I have been in love with S's since 1989 and when I first saw Alex Skolnick playing one, and its my first post in this section.
So don't listen to me. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode