pickup for 7620 to get Les Paulish tone? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 22
pickup for 7620 to get Les Paulish tone?

I'm looking to replace the pickup in my 7-string.. its currently a dimarzio blaze, but I'm looking for more of a les-paul like tone. Any suggestions?
newdude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:11 AM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Milton Keynes,UK
Posts: 2,355
Hi dude,i own both,and you'll struggle,I'd suggest a set of Paf7's I've never used them,But it'll help i am sure.

What you *wont* get is that typical Mahogany bodied sound you get from a LP,But roll back the tone a little and it'll sound closeish with a little amp tweakage,Just don't expect the same sustain lol

"you can go and have a bite and you'll still be hearing that ... Waaaaaaaa" NT

Rob
Jem7RB MK is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 22
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm asking is because I went and checked out a Line 6 Variax yesterday, and turned it to the "Les Paul" setting and thought it sounded really cool. Those Variax guitars are really awesome! If they made a 7-string version that had a cooler body style I'd get one.
newdude is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:02 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Just don't expect the same sustain lol Rob
Now, now, this is not entirely true. My friend and I A/B'ed my RG and his Paul and the difference in sustain was negligible.
The_Grindfiend is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:07 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm asking is because I went and checked out a Line 6 Variax yesterday, and turned it to the "Les Paul" setting and thought it sounded really cool. Those Variax guitars are really awesome! If they made a 7-string version that had a cooler body style I'd get one.
Give me both 6 and 7-string versions that you can put into any guitar like a Roland GK-2A or piezo bridge and you'll have me sold.

...And I'm a Line6 fan
Two hands31 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm asking is because I went and checked out a Line 6 Variax yesterday, and turned it to the "Les Paul" setting and thought it sounded really cool. Those Variax guitars are really awesome! If they made a 7-string version that had a cooler body style I'd get one.
Give me both 6 and 7-string versions that you can put into any guitar like a Roland GK-2A or piezo bridge and you'll have me sold.

...And I'm a Line6 fan
You're right, that is a good idea! I think the entire guitar has to be designed for it though...
newdude is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:00 PM
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Milton Keynes,UK
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Just don't expect the same sustain lol Rob
Now, now, this is not entirely true. My friend and I A/B'ed my RG and his Paul and the difference in sustain was negligible.
Fair enough,I'm only going on mine,My LP sings quite literally for hours all on it's own,My rg's just don't have the same sustain...I'd be interested in tha RG tho ;-)

Rob
Jem7RB MK is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 05:00 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 668
It was an RG 520, with a mahogany body, so that may have had something to do with it. I find that basswood isn't too far behind mahogany, though.
The_Grindfiend is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:48 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 6,200
Well, I'm not a big fan of the tone of mahogany for a 7's extended range, but my biggest complaint with my 2027 was it sounded too much like a les paul for me, so... maybe have a replacement mahogany body done? Eddie Kolesar could do a RG7 body for, um, i think $200-250, and if you just tung oiled it a la satch or all the guys modding 520's on this forum, you'd get a gorgeous natural finish and save yourself a couple hndred on the finish, too. That right there would get you into LP territory, but then a PAF neck and Tone Zone bridge, and you'd have the best-sounding Les Paul that isn't.

-D
Drew is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Well, I'm not a big fan of the tone of mahogany for a 7's extended range, but my biggest complaint with my 2027 was it sounded too much like a les paul for me, so... maybe have a replacement mahogany body done? Eddie Kolesar could do a RG7 body for, um, i think $200-250, and if you just tung oiled it a la satch or all the guys modding 520's on this forum, you'd get a gorgeous natural finish and save yourself a couple hndred on the finish, too. That right there would get you into LP territory, but then a PAF neck and Tone Zone bridge, and you'd have the best-sounding Les Paul that isn't.

-D
Cool, thanks for the helpful info. I'm too broke for that though.. hehe. I was just hoping that there was a particular pick-up that would sound like what I heard with that Variax. I've never even really played a les paul before. Just looking for a good metal tone!
newdude is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:43 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 668
I'm sure that if you actually played a Les Paul, you'd probably like it better than the Variax (modeling guitars...yecchh *cringes*). Although, what kind of tone are you looking for? Can you name any artists/songs that have the kind of tone you're looking for? My basswood 1527 is vicious, and alder guitars are even nastier. If you tune below C, my advice would be to go with something other than mahogany. It's not the best at reproducing the fundamental of the low notes, so it sounds "squishy." I used to use my RG 520 for low-tuned metal, but gave up, because it always had way too many harmonics with high-gain.
The_Grindfiend is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 04:03 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 201
you woont get all the way there because of the woods being different, but with right pickups you could get close
AARRGGHHH is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:06 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm asking is because I went and checked out a Line 6 Variax yesterday, and turned it to the "Les Paul" setting and thought it sounded really cool. Those Variax guitars are really awesome! If they made a 7-string version that had a cooler body style I'd get one.
Give me both 6 and 7-string versions that you can put into any guitar like a Roland GK-2A or piezo bridge and you'll have me sold.

...And I'm a Line6 fan
You're right, that is a good idea! I think the entire guitar has to be designed for it though...
Nope, the only part of the Variax guitar that's different from other guitars is the bridge, controls, jacks, and the circuitry inside. The body, neck, headstock, frets, tuners, pickguard, everything, is just standard guitar stuff. Best I can figure, if you've got a 2 knob guitar right now (1 volume, 1 tone) they should make something that adds the selector knob, and replaces the volume, tone, jacks, and selector switch, but so that they'll still work with your "real" pickups, and also add a magnetic/variax mini-switch. Maybe even magnetic/variax/both switch, for some fun piezo/electric work. Can you say duelling sitar and electric guitar?
Two hands31 is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
I'm sure that if you actually played a Les Paul, you'd probably like it better than the Variax (modeling guitars...yecchh *cringes*). Although, what kind of tone are you looking for? Can you name any artists/songs that have the kind of tone you're looking for? My basswood 1527 is vicious, and alder guitars are even nastier. If you tune below C, my advice would be to go with something other than mahogany. It's not the best at reproducing the fundamental of the low notes, so it sounds "squishy." I used to use my RG 520 for low-tuned metal, but gave up, because it always had way too many harmonics with high-gain.
There are a few tones I think are awesome...

"Walk" - Pantera
"Children of Bodom" - Children of Bodom
"Lie" - Dream Theater

Just looking for something similar to those to get with 7620. I have a Line 6 Vetta that I think is pretty versatile so I don't forsee needing any additional amp stuff...
newdude is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm asking is because I went and checked out a Line 6 Variax yesterday, and turned it to the "Les Paul" setting and thought it sounded really cool. Those Variax guitars are really awesome! If they made a 7-string version that had a cooler body style I'd get one.
Give me both 6 and 7-string versions that you can put into any guitar like a Roland GK-2A or piezo bridge and you'll have me sold.

...And I'm a Line6 fan
You're right, that is a good idea! I think the entire guitar has to be designed for it though...
Nope, the only part of the Variax guitar that's different from other guitars is the bridge, controls, jacks, and the circuitry inside. The body, neck, headstock, frets, tuners, pickguard, everything, is just standard guitar stuff. Best I can figure, if you've got a 2 knob guitar right now (1 volume, 1 tone) they should make something that adds the selector knob, and replaces the volume, tone, jacks, and selector switch, but so that they'll still work with your "real" pickups, and also add a magnetic/variax mini-switch. Maybe even magnetic/variax/both switch, for some fun piezo/electric work. Can you say duelling sitar and electric guitar?
Well in that case, bring it on! I'd probably pick up another 7620, or I heard the 1527 is a good guitar as well. I'd also get one for a 6-string RG.. I just love the feel of those guitars!
newdude is offline  
Reply

Tags
basswood guitar , basswood guitars , dimarzio blaze , electric guitar , lace sensor , les paul , mahogany body , maple neck , mark iic , piezo bridge , tone zone , tone zone bridge , tung oil , zone bridge

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RG 7620 pickup question moore5150 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 15 07-13-2005 02:38 PM
Tone Zone as a neck pickup buddroyce Pickups & wiring 0 02-14-2005 12:21 AM
Pickup high and tone? Azrael Pickups & wiring 5 01-16-2005 10:32 AM
7620 pickup choices track7 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 15 08-27-2002 05:31 PM
Which Pickup - Tone Zone. Evolution, other?? Melballs All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 4 01-10-2001 05:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome