pickup for 7620 to get Les Paulish tone? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

pickup for 7620 to get Les Paulish tone?

I'm looking to replace the pickup in my 7-string.. its currently a dimarzio blaze, but I'm looking for more of a les-paul like tone. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:11 AM

Hi dude,i own both,and you'll struggle,I'd suggest a set of Paf7's I've never used them,But it'll help i am sure.

What you *wont* get is that typical Mahogany bodied sound you get from a LP,But roll back the tone a little and it'll sound closeish with a little amp tweakage,Just don't expect the same sustain lol

"you can go and have a bite and you'll still be hearing that ... Waaaaaaaa" NT

Rob
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm asking is because I went and checked out a Line 6 Variax yesterday, and turned it to the "Les Paul" setting and thought it sounded really cool. Those Variax guitars are really awesome! If they made a 7-string version that had a cooler body style I'd get one.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Just don't expect the same sustain lol Rob
Now, now, this is not entirely true. My friend and I A/B'ed my RG and his Paul and the difference in sustain was negligible.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude
Cool, thanks for the suggestion. The reason I'm asking is because I went and checked out a Line 6 Variax yesterday, and turned it to the "Les Paul" setting and thought it sounded really cool. Those Variax guitars are really awesome! If they made a 7-string version that had a cooler body style I'd get one.
Give me both 6 and 7-string versions that you can put into any guitar like a Roland GK-2A or piezo bridge and you'll have me sold.

...And I'm a Line6 fan
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Give me both 6 and 7-string versions that you can put into any guitar like a Roland GK-2A or piezo bridge and you'll have me sold.

...And I'm a Line6 fan
You're right, that is a good idea! I think the entire guitar has to be designed for it though...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Just don't expect the same sustain lol Rob
Now, now, this is not entirely true. My friend and I A/B'ed my RG and his Paul and the difference in sustain was negligible.
Fair enough,I'm only going on mine,My LP sings quite literally for hours all on it's own,My rg's just don't have the same sustain...I'd be interested in tha RG tho ;-)

Rob
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 05:00 PM

It was an RG 520, with a mahogany body, so that may have had something to do with it. I find that basswood isn't too far behind mahogany, though.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:48 PM

Well, I'm not a big fan of the tone of mahogany for a 7's extended range, but my biggest complaint with my 2027 was it sounded too much like a les paul for me, so... maybe have a replacement mahogany body done? Eddie Kolesar could do a RG7 body for, um, i think $200-250, and if you just tung oiled it a la satch or all the guys modding 520's on this forum, you'd get a gorgeous natural finish and save yourself a couple hndred on the finish, too. That right there would get you into LP territory, but then a PAF neck and Tone Zone bridge, and you'd have the best-sounding Les Paul that isn't.

-D
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Well, I'm not a big fan of the tone of mahogany for a 7's extended range, but my biggest complaint with my 2027 was it sounded too much like a les paul for me, so... maybe have a replacement mahogany body done? Eddie Kolesar could do a RG7 body for, um, i think $200-250, and if you just tung oiled it a la satch or all the guys modding 520's on this forum, you'd get a gorgeous natural finish and save yourself a couple hndred on the finish, too. That right there would get you into LP territory, but then a PAF neck and Tone Zone bridge, and you'd have the best-sounding Les Paul that isn't.

-D
Cool, thanks for the helpful info. I'm too broke for that though.. hehe. I was just hoping that there was a particular pick-up that would sound like what I heard with that Variax. I've never even really played a les paul before. Just looking for a good metal tone!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:43 AM

I'm sure that if you actually played a Les Paul, you'd probably like it better than the Variax (modeling guitars...yecchh *cringes*). Although, what kind of tone are you looking for? Can you name any artists/songs that have the kind of tone you're looking for? My basswood 1527 is vicious, and alder guitars are even nastier. If you tune below C, my advice would be to go with something other than mahogany. It's not the best at reproducing the fundamental of the low notes, so it sounds "squishy." I used to use my RG 520 for low-tuned metal, but gave up, because it always had way too many harmonics with high-gain.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 04:03 AM

you woont get all the way there because of the woods being different, but with right pickups you could get close
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...And I'm a Line6 fan
You're right, that is a good idea! I think the entire guitar has to be designed for it though...
Nope, the only part of the Variax guitar that's different from other guitars is the bridge, controls, jacks, and the circuitry inside. The body, neck, headstock, frets, tuners, pickguard, everything, is just standard guitar stuff. Best I can figure, if you've got a 2 knob guitar right now (1 volume, 1 tone) they should make something that adds the selector knob, and replaces the volume, tone, jacks, and selector switch, but so that they'll still work with your "real" pickups, and also add a magnetic/variax mini-switch. Maybe even magnetic/variax/both switch, for some fun piezo/electric work. Can you say duelling sitar and electric guitar?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
I'm sure that if you actually played a Les Paul, you'd probably like it better than the Variax (modeling guitars...yecchh *cringes*). Although, what kind of tone are you looking for? Can you name any artists/songs that have the kind of tone you're looking for? My basswood 1527 is vicious, and alder guitars are even nastier. If you tune below C, my advice would be to go with something other than mahogany. It's not the best at reproducing the fundamental of the low notes, so it sounds "squishy." I used to use my RG 520 for low-tuned metal, but gave up, because it always had way too many harmonics with high-gain.
There are a few tones I think are awesome...

"Walk" - Pantera
"Children of Bodom" - Children of Bodom
"Lie" - Dream Theater

Just looking for something similar to those to get with 7620. I have a Line 6 Vetta that I think is pretty versatile so I don't forsee needing any additional amp stuff...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

...And I'm a Line6 fan
Nope, the only part of the Variax guitar that's different from other guitars is the bridge, controls, jacks, and the circuitry inside. The body, neck, headstock, frets, tuners, pickguard, everything, is just standard guitar stuff. Best I can figure, if you've got a 2 knob guitar right now (1 volume, 1 tone) they should make something that adds the selector knob, and replaces the volume, tone, jacks, and selector switch, but so that they'll still work with your "real" pickups, and also add a magnetic/variax mini-switch. Maybe even magnetic/variax/both switch, for some fun piezo/electric work. Can you say duelling sitar and electric guitar?
Well in that case, bring it on! I'd probably pick up another 7620, or I heard the 1527 is a good guitar as well. I'd also get one for a 6-string RG.. I just love the feel of those guitars!

Tags
basswood guitar , basswood guitars , dimarzio blaze , electric guitar , lace sensor , les paul , mahogany body , maple neck , mark iic , piezo bridge , tone zone , tone zone bridge , tung oil , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode