Pickup choise for tuning to Drop G? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Pickup choise for tuning to Drop G?

i´m completely stuck on this...
i might be getting an Ibanez RG7321, and i´m gunna tune it down to Drop G, in other words tune it to A flat (à la KoRn) and then drop the low A string a step down (just so you know what i´m talking about)

i want a DiMarzio humbucker for the bridge position that can keep it´s tightness when playing the deepest strings, i have almost a phobia for muddy sound...
AND i´m not a big fan of scooped sound, i like nice fat midtones
(say, KoRn´s ´´Take a Look in the Mirror´´ album.)

any suggestions?
i´m going to play heavy stuff, as if that wasn´t obvious enough... somewhere along the lines of Fear Factory, Meshuggah, KoRn... you know the kind...
i´m not a soloist, so steve vai-style pickups won´t be nessescary :P

i´m extremely thankfull for any help, you might be the cure for massive headaches! :P

btw, i´m tired, so spelling and everything is horrible, i know :/... and i know i spelled it ´´choise´´:P

Last edited by MF_Kitten; 12-12-2006 at 11:48 PM. Reason: spelling mistake again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 PM

Re: Pickup choise for tuning to Drop G?

Well, I personally favor the D-Sonic 7. The PAF7 is also good for that kind of stuff. Late Korn was a PAF7 in a mahogany bodied guitar.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:07 AM

i think if you are tuning that low, no matter what kind of pickups you get, it will sould like [email protected]
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:10 AM

I have Blazes in my Schecter 7 (25.5" scale) in drop G and it sounds pretty good. YMMV
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 AM

You could also get a Lundgren. Meshuggah use them. They're very clear sounding and since you're tuning so low you'll probably need a less muddy pickup. They're quite expensive though (around 195 euros).
Check the 7 string model here:
http://www.lundgren.se/index.asp?folid=22&micid=88

The D-Sonic 7 sounds quite good for such a low tuning too and it's less expensive.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 AM

something that low and I'd go with actives. EMG's would be a good choice. Before everyone condemns me for suggesting active pickups let me say this. EMG's might sound sterile to some (if you use two 9 volt batteries wired to 18 volts they acually get A LOT better dynamics) they have a HUGE frequency spectrum compared to passive pickups so drop G tuning will definitely sound a lot tighter on an active pickup than a passive.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 10:35 AM

To be correct, Korn tunes to A. A-flat with a dropped bottom string would become drop F#.
As far as pickups go, you've got quite a few choices, apparently. I'll put in a good word for the Blaze Custom - just for checking, I tuned my RG7321 down to sub-octave E, strung with a 68 on the bottom, with suprisingly good results on string-tension, and the sound as well. Definitely playable, and the sound was beefy and defined as well, since the Blaze Custom has loads of midrange.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire View Post
something that low and I'd go with actives. EMG's would be a good choice. Before everyone condemns me for suggesting active pickups let me say this. EMG's might sound sterile to some (if you use two 9 volt batteries wired to 18 volts they acually get A LOT better dynamics) they have a HUGE frequency spectrum compared to passive pickups so drop G tuning will definitely sound a lot tighter on an active pickup than a passive.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I always thought EMG's sounded good, but they sound great with two batteries.

I would check out an 81-7, or Lundgren M7.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Well, i don´t want the Lundgrens, they´re both too expencive, and not my taste (too scooped), and i´m sorry, but i simply don´t like EMG´s... i´ve tried many, but they´re not my thing... i like passive pickups...

so yeah... i´m not shure about the tuning thing, but it´ll either be drop G or drop F then... anyways, it´s not too different...

well, i´m narrowing down the whole range that i´m looking at right now, so...

anyone have suggestions for which 7-string dimarzio´s i SHOULDN´T get? :P like one´s that´ll just be pure mud?

and to the guy that said it would sound crap, well, that´s a matter of opinion now, aint it?

Last edited by MF_Kitten; 12-13-2006 at 12:07 PM. Reason: adding stuff
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:16 PM

remember to use heavy strings! over .60 for the low G...
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM

I would say D-Sonic and some sufficiently heavy strings. Perhaps you might want to look at Schecter 7-string models which are usually an inch longer to cater for any loss of tension. Ideal for whatever tuning you want.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaHuELoidE View Post
remember to use heavy strings! over .60 for the low G...
An .068 works just fine - you could try going up to .070 if you want even more tension. Assuming you've got a Korean RG7321, .070 is the maximum upper limit gauge you can use without modifying the guitar. A friend of mine who's got an Indonesian RG7321 says that an .068 will not fit without at least drilling the tuner.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
i like passive pickups...
Get the D-Sonic then! And heavier gauge strings! Enjoy!!!!
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 PM

might be worth hunting out a baritone 7 string to get a good G out of it.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

hmm... sounds nice, sounds nice... i already had the D-sonic in mind too, so looks like we have a winner

also, i´m going for a .65 or .68 or even a .70 for the G-string (hah!)

i love Ibanez, and i want a fixed bridge... so the 7321 is great for me, with the lovely Wizard neck that i love...

and i don´t like lower-end schecters, and i can´t afford the higher end, so...

New question though, how would the Tone Zone 7 perform as a neck pickup? it´s either that one or the Air Norton 7 for the neck pickup...

Tags
air norton , amp distortion , blaze neck , bridge pickup , bridge position , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , dimarzio blaze , duncan invader , ernie ball , fixed bridge , fretboard wood , gauge strings , neck pickup , neck position , seymour duncan , steve vai , tight bass , tone zone , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode