Pickup combinations for RG7620 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Talking Pickup combinations for RG7620

hi,
I am wondering what kind of pickup pairing (Dimarzios only) would one choose for RG7620 and why ? well....I may change my pickups so...i am looking for some really good advice here...
ok..
now u can start typing in ur views.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Suspension: Multiple Users

Re: Pickup combinations for RG7620

Mostpeople will probably say Tone Zone and Air Norton. But I think a better combo would be Steve Special bridge and Air Norton neck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:36 PM

I see a lot of people change to Tone Zone 7 br/Air Norton 7 neck combo.
SD has great JB-7 br/'59-7 n combo.

Blaze-7 in bridge is also good combo with AN-7 in neck.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Yeah, the Blaze II bridge (probaly what you meant, phlame, as the steve's special was based on it) kills in basswood, and pairs nicely with the Air Norton 7.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with the Tone Zone 7- it's not a bad sounding pickup by any means, but, well, it's all mids and just about nothing else. People say it's great for smooth leads and, if you scoop the mids on your amp, chunky rhythm (idea being this gives you a more balanced tone), but myself I think the Blaze 7 works well for both these applications in that, as it's brighter, you can cut your treble without sacrificing high end clarity, and it's scooped nature actually allows you to run the mids higher while still keeping a "modern" rhythm tone.

I was blown away with the Blaze bridge in my UV- to me, it's the way a seven-string humbucker should sound.

-D
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

what's the difference in Paf pro and Tone zone {7 stringer pups}
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
I'm pretty underwhelmed with the Tone Zone 7- it's not a bad sounding pickup by any means, but, well, it's all mids and just about nothing else. People say it's great for smooth leads and, if you scoop the mids on your amp, chunky rhythm (idea being this gives you a more balanced tone), but myself I think the Blaze 7 works well for both these applications in that, as it's brighter, you can cut your treble without sacrificing high end clarity, and it's scooped nature actually allows you to run the mids higher while still keeping a "modern" rhythm tone.

I was blown away with the Blaze bridge in my UV- to me, it's the way a seven-string humbucker should sound.

-D
NO DOUBT, Drew! I run WAY more mids in my sound than I ever thought I would, but it sounds great... clean, punchy, tight, and super articulate. Plus, it still has an overall kind of focused, "scooped" sound (but not in a detrimental way).

As for a Paf Pro 7, there isn't one There is a PAF 7, and from what I've heard it's pretty decent... low output, clarity, and warm. it's not really like the PAF Pro at all to be honest. Although closer to it than the TZ7 is I'm sure!
As for difference in PAF 7/Tone Zone 7, well, the PAF 7 is like I said, low output, not really any obvious boosts or cuts in any frequency... just smooth, warm, clear sound (although not like the Blaze's great top-end clarity). The TZ7 is like Drew said... mids, then some more mids, a sort of super-warm, flabby low-mid/bass (The Blaze has more bass to me, but much, much clearer), no treble to speak of, and a very round (VERY round) almost vintagey sound. It's also higher output than the PAF 7. The TZ7 has a pretty clean sound (for a bridge pickup) and a nice quality for soloing (although not what I really am after) and a sort of meaty thickness for rhythm, but eh... I think the Blaze does all that and better, generally. MAYBE the TZ7 has a slight edge clean, but I rarely use a bridge pickup for cleans, and even then, it's hard to say... two different sounds, and both are pretty decent. In every other way the Blaze owns. PAF 7 is supposed to have (maybe) best clean of all, although for my money the AN7 is just about perfect for a clean tone.

There! Lots more info than you asked for.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:30 PM

On my mahog guitar PAF7 in bridge sounds sterile, boring and has definitive scooped mids....

It is very clean and does handle the B(A) string very well...

Flesh
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info...
now tell me what about Air Nortons for neck ?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth
thanks for the info...
now tell me what about Air Nortons for neck ?
Just get one - everyone I've heard about who had an Air Norton in the neck loves it . They have a kind-of open/hollow single-coil type feel to the sound, but still with the volume and balls of a humbucker. To me, they sound very much like Paul Gilberts lead (neck pickup) sound (although I know he uses PAFs, not A-N's). And I would put a vote in for the tone zone 7 in the bridge (just to confuse matters lol) as I love mine, although mine is in an ash body which may give it a bit more treble (as the pickup is inherently mid/bass oriented), and I have to admit I haven't heard one in a basswood body (like a 7620). Hope this helps
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:43 AM

I'm a bit more partial to the AN over a PAF in the neck, but unless you really compare both pickups in the same guitar, comparisons are pretty hard so take all this with a grain of salt.

And you can pretty much ignore anything Drew says about his UV, that thing is a freak of nature it sounds so good...comparing anything to that for the purpose of trying to get the same tone is a waste of time.

The PAF is going to be a more vintage toned pickup, it is has a slightly rounder, warmer tone than an AN. The AN is a bit more crisp in the top end, both have a nicely voiced low end and mid range. I prefer the AN is a H-H setup and the PAF in a H-S-H set up. The PAF when used in single coil mode with a middle single coil is just really really nice. I have this set up in a mahogany bodied JCustom with a tone zone in the bridge...to much mids in the bridge, changing to a steve's special whenever I get a few minutes of time. But that's more a function of the mahogany than the pickup. Same pickup in a basswood JCustom is incredible. So for the bridge, the difference between a TZ and a Blaze II is going to be in how pronounced you want the mids and little bit of roundness on the top end...at least from my perspective. I think the basswood of the 7620 has a clear lower mid tendency that won't make the TZ flub out on that guitar like it might on a mahogany bodied 7string. BUt each body is different.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:04 PM

I put 2 EMG 707's in mine. Pickup rings from www.fretsonthenet.com hid my by-hand 1st time Dremel tool routing job nicely.

They sound incredible and drive my Mesa Quad to a state of insanity
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlame
Mostpeople will probably say Tone Zone and Air Norton. But I think a better combo would be Steve Special bridge and Air Norton neck.
I'm confused. I believe there is no 7 string version of the Steve's Special....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:49 PM

I'd say do the Universe config..hehe. Blazes rule.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0
I'm confused. I believe there is no 7 string version of the Steve's Special....
You're right, there isn't. The blaze II is the closest 7 string version.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 03:13 PM

I run an Evo/AN combo in both my 7620s and love it to death.

Eric

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , air nortons , basswood body , blaze bridge , bridge pickup , clean tone , coil mode , neck pickup , norton neck , paf pro , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , pickup ring , pickup rings , scooped mids , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode