Which Pickup - Tone Zone. Evolution, other?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Which Pickup - Tone Zone. Evolution, other??

Does anyone have any suggestions for my Ibanez PL1770? *

My main guitar is a PRS CE22 with a mahogony body and a maple top. *It has Dragon pickups in it. *I would like my Ibanez to be my backup but since I started using the PRS, the bridge humbucker on the Ibanez(stock) seems really weak. *I would like to emulate the PRS tone as much as possible and while I understand that it will never sound the same, I would like to hear some suggestions.

The Ibanez has a basswood body and my setup is gtr --> boss stompbox tuner --> crybaby wah --> digitech whammy (when I'm not being lazy, I put this in the fx loop) --> Rivera K100. *I play mostly high gain stuff with the occasional clean part. *

The reasons for wanting a similar sound as the PRS is because of the highly sensitive knobs on the Rivera (If you own one you know what I'm talking about!!!). *This is a good thing, but when you switch guitars and need to dial in a new sound, it can take a while because of how flexible the Rivera is.

I've been considering Dimarzio and specifically the Tone Zone or Evolution. *I have a Duncan JB Jr, in my strat and do NOT like it much. *It seems too muddy in high gain settings. *I aslo want to stay with a passive pickup.

I appreciate any feedback from the gear junkies out there. *Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 05:33 PM

Why not just get a PRS pickup the same as in your CE22?? Any good PRS dealer can get them for you.

As for DiMarzio then the Tone Zone is a great pickup with a med - high output but as the name implies has TONE. *The Evolution is a fair but hotter and a little brighter too, prob quite a bit hotter than the pickup in the PRS.

I personally dislike SD rail pickups for exactly the reason you mention but try the JB humbucker, its a million miles better than the strat version and quite authentic sounding [classic] but with a high output, it is SD version of the Tone Zone. *

The SD Screamin Demon is another good humbucker, a cross between a Duncan Distortion and a Duncan 59 [superb neck pickup], the low end is musical and quite vintage in nature whilst the top end adds a little sizzle to your tone, certainly a good hybrid of classic and modern humbuckers.

Try both the SD forum at their website :
http://www.seymourduncan.com

Or email DiMarzio as there customer service is very good. *The email is somwhere at:

http://www.dimarzio.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 06:07 AM

having used both the tone zone and evolution i can say that the tone zone is alot smoother and more versatile. even though its got a huge bottom end it doesnt seem to mud up much. *all in all the evo has much better single note definition for leads but can make you sound like korn in a flash where the tone zone is what i would call a high end "all rounder" that needs gain to be used to its full potential.

mike
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks MikeR and Strat110. *I appreciate the advice. *I had considered ordering the PRS Dragon bridge pickup but I was concerned about the differences in the guitars. *My main concern being the wood types:

Ibanez has a basswood body and ebony fretboard
PRS has mahogony w/ maple top and rosewood fretboard.

Also the Ibanez has a pickguard (yuck).

I guess I won't really know until I try but I was thinking because of these differences, I should compensate by getting a hotter and 'darker' sounding pickup.

If anyone else has advice, please feel free to share your wisdom.

Melballs
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 04:25 PM

The Tone zone may work especially well for what you describe. Good luck!

Tags
basswood body , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , digitech whammy , duncan distortion , ebony fretboard , mahogony body , neck pickup , rosewood fretboard , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode