pickups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Angry pickups

i think i have asked around alot about pickups and i have narrowed it down to EMG 85 or a seymour duncan something or other(dave mustaine??) im not sure.

my question now is, if emgs arent connected or installed correctly will the sound lack? i heard about soldering it properly n didnt know wot that meant. i wanna play metal/hard rock will the seymour duncan give me a good dark crunchy tone like emgs r sopposed to have?

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:33 AM
dex

Re: pickups

If the EMGs are not soldered correctly they simply won't work.
A good alternative is something like SD Invader or DiMarzio Super Distortion - these 2 pickups are on countless classic metal records out there....

ilia
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

i see, so there is no chance of the pickups getting installed wrong by a bad installer and sounding like a squier?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 09:59 AM
dex

Not really - EMGs have built in preamp and require a battery + 25K volume pot (normal passive pickups require 250K to 1M pots) + stereo input jack to make sure the preamp is on and draining the battery only when the guitar cable is plugged in.
EMGs either work or they don't and any decent guitar store tech should know how to wire them esp these days when they come with easy plug connectors and pre-soldered pot/jack mounting kits.....

ilia
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

alright, thanx. its just that i live in abu dhabi, n the people here dont know alot about guitars. i went to a liscenced ESP dealer n they told me that u cannot buy emg pickups seperately, i argued. he then said that all of the ones for sale on the internet are fakes. it really gets 2 me!!

Tags
dave mustaine , dimarzio super distortion , seymour duncan , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode