Pickups I know, I know, done to death - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Pickups I know, I know, done to death

Hey all,

I was wondering what kind of Dimarzio would work for me? I've always been a Duncan man but want to try something different.

My RG 1570 v pups need to go. I want a paf pro for the neck, but can't decide on the bridge.

I have a Marshall JMP1 and 9100 poweramp and its got the Marshall mids (obviously) I tried a TZ a while ago and didn't like it WAY to much bass for me.

I'm looking for something with a nice bass, good mids and highs. I play metal, but not puke in the microphone stuff. More Maiden type stuff, but I like the clean smooth distortion thing.

I was thinking a paf pro for the bridge, but I'm not sure if it would hold up.

Ideas folks??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 AM

Re: Pickups I know, I know, done to death

Regular Norton in the bridge. My $0,02.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 AM

Dude, you need a Super Distortion or an Evolution in your bridge, they are a bit thinner than the TZ, but they both have plenty of highs and mid's. I am quite partial to The Breed pickups though. They are excellent pickups.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 04:43 AM

I really liked the breeds in my old 7DBK. My 2p
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 05:10 AM

I have soft spot for the smooth "american" 80's rock sound, so i would go for a PAF PRO.

What famous guitarsounds do you like?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:52 AM

All of my guitars have DiMarzio's, I didn't mean for that to happen, that's just what they came with. Alot of them have TZ's in the bridge, there good, I think there really well rounded p/up's all around, the 7's I have have various custom ones that are pretty nice, but out of all of them, my PGM301 w/the paf pro in the bridge, seems to be my favorite sounding p/up for the bridge, it really has this vow like sound which is so sweet...just has way more soul, depth, and character to me than the more straight for forward, great, and powerful TZ, but the TZ in the bridge is nice, it just aint is sweet and seductive as a paf pro in the bridge.
The funny thing is, my J customs, w/air nortons & paf pro's in the neck, & my 301 w/paf pro in the neck, are nice, I can't decide my favorite of those in the neck position, but I'm trippin b/c my PGM's w/TZ's in the neck I know I like better than any of them!? Weird? Something about those TZ's in the neck? They are so different, cool, powerful, lots of cut thru & definition w/that blu glassy click I love like the others but more aggressive. I frickin love it!
But, I don't think you can put a paf pro in the bridge and a TZ in the neck, I think the TZ is more powerful than the paf pro, and you can't have it behind the neck, it has to equal or less powerful.
So I can't fuse them together in that configuration either, so you should go to DiMarzio website and do some research, ask them what they recomend for what your wanting to achieve, etc.
Good luck, have fun,
peace...
Andres
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, I really kind of like the distorted but not sound if that makes sense. I like the really clean but ballsy sound. Its hard for me to explain.

Basically, a crunchy smooth pup with a nice bottom for palm muting with a lot of harmonics. I don't need a ton of overdrive my amp gives me that. I just want a good smooth sound without fighting the pup. Pickups I've had have always been great in one area but lousy in others.

SD Screamin Demon good but the highs were a bit much, SD Custom way too Van Halen for me too fat. EMGs way too much of everything!!

I love tones like Adrian Smith from the Somewhere in time 7th son era, Petrucci's sound from DT and something like Satriani with out more bass.

God what a pain in the butt huh?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 10:53 AM

For what you described the BREED would work.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 02:27 PM

The TZ/AN combo could be a choice .

Regards

André

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM

I say Breed or PAF Pro combos (or maybe a Breed Bridge and PAF Pro neck).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldogg View Post
I love tones like Adrian Smith from the Somewhere in time 7th son era,
Adrian used a Dimarzio Super Distortion for those albums, and I my RG is loaded with one in the bridge as well. It is a classic pick-up, far better than the ToneZone for 80's traditional metal.

Also, better sit down for this, Maiden used solid-state amps for those 2 albums. For Somewhere In Time, they used the Gallien Krueger 250 mk2 ML's which had built in stereo-chorus and reverb. They also used compression a bit more on that album.. but other than that they didn't use tonnes of effects as somebody might suggest. The SSOASS tone featured the Gallien Krueger 2000 CPL stereo preamp and/or the GK 2100 SEL Head, which also had the built in stereo chorus and reverb. But they used the Stereo Chorus a LOT more live during that tour.

You will NOT be able to get these exotic tones from tube amps. I have a solid-state set-up myself, and can emulate the Somewhere In Time tone with about %90 accuracy. This is due to the fact that I'm running a s**t-load of effects and pedals in my rig. If you want to know what I use and what my settings are, let me know.

Cheers
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Funny enough Big Red I had the GK 250ml and the 2100 sel. Nice amps but god help you if they break (which mine did) I know Adrian uses the super distortion.

What rig are you using now?

Really I'm torn about that and the Breed and a Paf pro in the bridge. I wounder if the Breed and Super D would be too fat in my guitar.

Tags
adrian smith , air norton , air nortons , breed bridge , dimarzio super distortion , marshall jmp , neck position , paf pro , paf pro combo , paf pro neck , palm muting , pro combo , pro neck , super distortion , tube amp , tube amps , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode