pickups for my new RG1527 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

pickups for my new RG1527

Hello all, this is my first post here. I just ordered my new RG1527 and am eagerly anticipating its arrival. If need be, I will be replacing the pickups to something that suits me a little better. I play mostly metal, not that nu-metal stuff going around now, you know the good shred kind. Anyway, I am partial to Duncan pickups as I have them in my other 3 guitars. I was thinking about a Jazz in the neck and was wondering what you guys had to say about a bridge pickup. From what I understand, a lower output pickup would be better so as not to muddy up the bottom end too much. Duncan has their '59 and Custom available. Has anyone had any luck with these? I'm not opposed to other brands of pickups, but I have had very good luck with Duncans, so that is why I specify. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 12:17 PM

I've heard great things about the JB, but have never played one myself. But, the Jazz/JB combo is supposed to be quite nice together...

-D
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I've got a JB in one of my 6-strings (mahogany body) and I like it for the most part. It can be a little bright at times. The one thing I have heard about having a JB in a 7-string is to lower the pickup quite a bit to clear up the bass. I have no experience with this, it is just what I have heard.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 02:09 PM

Dude, if you wanted to wait about a week or so, I have a Lundgren Model M on the way. After I get it and have it installed, I'll give you a full write-up on it. That is, you know, if you... well, wanted me to, or whatever. Anyway, if you didn't know already, it's the pickup that Meshuggah used to record their latest album. I also have a 1527, so my results would be pretty similar to what you would get. Also, I have a Duncan Jazz 7 that I've needed to have installed for a few weeks now, so if you want, I'll give you an evaluation of both.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 02:48 PM

Do you mind if I ask how much the Lundgren cost?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Yes, please let me know how each pickup sounds. I'm especially interested in how the Jazz turns out for you. Also, where did you get the Lundgren if I may ask?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 04:03 PM

www.lundgren.se
around $200
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:53 PM

i hear many good things about lundgren pickups, but can they make the miracle of making a mahogany seven string sound better?

I was listening to some fear factory records recently and erm... well you get me! I really dig the sound in "Descent", especially the heavy chords at 00:16. With a more defined low A (would be B for me) string and a little less gain and little less treble it would be killer! Now add to that Petrucci to Holdsworth lead tone abilities, all in my 2027, and the lundgren I'll buy!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 10:49 PM

[quote="sam669"]i hear many good things about lundgren pickups, but can they make the miracle of making a mahogany seven string sound better?

What!!!! Dude you dont like the CHUNK from your 2027? I have a plain ole blaze in mine and I love it. And I do play riff oriented music. Heavy. Much have you to learn, of the power, of mahogany mmm..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 05:41 AM

i still have the stocks in it, and well, it's nothing near loooooww!
though i like how spongy it can sound for leads... dilema lol
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 11:46 PM

Whoa, guys! Sorry for taking so long to reply. The Lundgren was $199 for the pickup, plus $30 for insured freight, so $229 total. I have not received it yet, but anticipate it in the next 4-5 days. Perhaps a bit sooner. I'll let you guys know when I get it installed. I don't have any way to record sound samples...well, maybe I lied. I have a friend whose dad has a studio. It's in their basement. His rates are pretty good, so maybe I could record something down there, using the Lundgren and the Duncan, put it on CD, and then rip it onto my hard drive and post it up.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 08:24 PM

Got the Lundgren today! It's not installed yet, but I'm taking it to my local shop tomorrow. I should have it back within the week. It's kind of an ugly pickup. The coils aren't smooth black plastic like a Ducan or DiMarzio. but rough and kind of leathery(?!). Shouldn't be a problem, though, because I'm going to get some of those bobbin covers. Looks like quality workmanship, though. Anway, along with the Lundgren, the Jazz 7 is going in, plus an EMG Afterburner. I'll let you know how they both sound, and how the Lundgren performs with and without the Afterburner.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 08:27 PM

Got the Lundgren today! It's not installed yet, but I'm taking it to my local shop tomorrow. I should have it back within the week. It's kind of an ugly pickup. The coils aren't smooth black plastic like a Ducan or DiMarzio. but rough and kind of leathery(?!). Shouldn't be a problem, though, because I'm going to get some of those bobbin covers. Looks like quality workmanship, though. Anway, along with the Lundgren, the Jazz 7 is going in, plus an EMG Afterburner. I'll let you know how they both sound, and how the Lundgren performs with and without the Afterburner. Also, Sam: if you're interested in a Holdsworth-ish tone, I think the Lundgren may be able to give it to you. Listen to Meshuggah's album Nothing. On track 4, Frederick's lead tone sounds pretty similar to Holdsworth's. It's a little smoother and darker. It's one of the best tones I've ever heard.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:26 PM

hmm, prolly
just let us know how the thing sounds
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 02:33 PM

I have a Duncan 59 and JB combo in my Dean Evo Special 7, which is mahogany. I absolutely love them.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , dean evo , dean evo special , duncan pickups , les paul , mahogany body , output pickup , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode