Pickups for s470? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Pickups for s470?

Hi guys, nice forum.
I have recently bought a used s470 (mahogany body, maple wizard 2 neck, h/s/h pickups) not sure what year but its in great condition and has the zr trem so Iím guessing 2003 or 2004. I love the way the guitar feels and like the trem a lot, but I hate the tone coming from my stock hum buckers through my fender stage 160 amp. The neck pu is total bassy mud, like some one through a wet blanket over my amp. The bridge pick up is just a little better. No matter how I set my amp or guitar tone and volume, clean or dirty channels I canít find a satisfactory tone out of the humbuckers. The single coil sounds fine though. On the same amp my Mexican strat sounds good and my friendís les paul sounds great so I guess itís the pups on this guitar. Any recommendations on new pups? I think I want to go with dimarzio, something not so hot but clear crisp and tight good all around. Also any suggestions for a distortion pedal for metal (metalica, danzig tone, not death metal) the fender amp doesnít do metal.

Thanks in advance sorry if the post was too long,
MOMOE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:52 PM

The Seymour Duncan Full Shred bridge and neck pickups should be a good combination for you. They'll match, and the sound is consistent with your descriptions. The bridge pickup is very hot and bright, and it has great harmonics, and good clarity, unlike a Super Distortion or an Invader or something. The neck pickup is very clear, and wound more like a PAF with a higher resonant peak like a PAF Pro. (that means its a little clearer)

From Dimarzio the PAF Pro in the neck and something like an Evolution or Fred in the bridge would be fine. You'll be happy with several of their bridge pickups. If you want a single coil type sound in the neck you'd get the Humbucker from Hell. The ultimate in bridge pickup clarity is the Steve's Special. And I think it sounds good in mahogany. That S470 can sound too nasal with a lot of distortion, so you shouldn't be using high gain pickups, because that would add to the mush. A Norton or Tone Zone might be too thick, only because of what you're saying about your amp and your sound.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 03:22 AM

Re:

I just replaced my stock pu's in my s540....might I suggest a Duncan PA-TB2B. Nice sound coming from it and it resonates well with the mahogany body. SH-10 Full shred might be to hot but an option as well as Dimarzio H3 or Super Dist. The TB2B is a trembucker and F spaced as well for the floyd equiped guitars. Good Luck.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 03:32 AM

hughes n kettner warp factor is a good pedal sounds really great through fender amps if you could dial in the right settings
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:27 PM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER
....might I suggest a Duncan PA-TB2B. SH-10 Full shred might be to hot but an option as well as Dimarzio H3 or Super Dist.
Just an FYI the PA-TB2B is the Distortion model (and a great pickup) But it is far hotter than the FS. The FS is wound to about 14K while the PA is wound up at 21k.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks for the info i think im gonna go with the paf pro(n) and fred(b). id go for the humbucker from hell but i got a single coil already, might put a virtual vintage or somthin in there later on.

thanks again,
MOMOE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 AM

Re:

Frank....I didn't know that. I have both FS and PATB. I guess it depends on which guitar you have them in too...the FS is in my Fender Strat just seems alot more distorted than the warmer/darker sounding PA in my s540. thanks for the info.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

-

Thanks again guys for all the info, something else Iím wondering, the previous owner used light top/heavy bottom strings (.10-.13-.17-.30-.42-.52). Thatís whatís on there now. Do the heavy bass strings contribute to the mud? I usually play 10's on electric guitars.

As always your help is much appreciated,
MOMOE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 08:58 PM

Re:

I guess it could if the guitar hasn't been setup properly....I use D'adarrio's 56-13 on my s540 without any problems.

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pickups , death metal , distortion pedal , electric guitar , fender strat , les paul , mahogany body , mexican strat , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf pro , seymour duncan , strat sound , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode