pics of my 442R just got it back from the shop - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Dee

Re: pics of my 442R just got it back from the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
I don't recall what was in there when I got it - I don't think they were stock. I now have a zebra Air Zone in the bridge, and I wanted go go with a vintagey sound in the neck and middle, so I put an IBZUSA C3 in the neck, which is a straight single, not stacked like the C1 and C2, and a Fender in the middle. I like how it's set up now, but I was thinking of going to Duncan Cool Rails in the neck with a coil tap, and possibly one of the new Duncan P-Rails P90/Rail hybrid pups in the bridge.

I think I posted this up when you first bought yours, but here's mine - and BTW I agree, they look nice in outdoor shots.

Full shot:

All the rest:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...its/442R%20CS/
That's the one. Killer. Love the burst.

You have some lovely guitars man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
That's the one. Killer. Love the burst.

You have some lovely guitars man.
Thanks - I overindulge myself sometimes though, who needs to pay bills? And it'd be nice if I learned to play any of them decently, too.

Last edited by gpenguins; 02-19-2008 at 01:22 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
yeah thats what i want but this is my strat type of guitar. so i need the vintage type sound but the bridge could have a touch more output but i definitely can live with it. the singles i like the middle one. but the neck one is not as smooth as i would like when soloing and is a little distorted sounding when playing clean. do you think the cruiser and chopper retain enough of that vintage strat single coil to work for me?
Yeah, I was considering doing a Cruiser in the neck instead of the Cool Rails, too. I've never been a huge fan of the Air Zone, but it does seem to work well in this guitar - and I first put it in there because it was the only bridge zebra I had available. Like I said, I really do like what I have in there, but I'd like to maybe give it a little more meat in the neck position, and I thought the P90 sound from the P-Rails woul give it a nice vintage tone, too.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
yeah thats what i want but this is my strat type of guitar. so i need the vintage type sound but the bridge could have a touch more output but i definitely can live with it. the singles i like the middle one. but the neck one is not as smooth as i would like when soloing and is a little distorted sounding when playing clean. do you think the cruiser and chopper retain enough of that vintage strat single coil to work for me?
Compared to a regular single coil, the cruiser and the chopper isn't as vintage-sounding (to me, none of the hum cancelling pickups do compared to the ultra-noisey single coils). The tone and potential is there, but it may take a bit more compensation with your amp to get it. I guess it all depends if it's good enough for you, which can be subjective.

If you want a nice authentic-sounding vintage single coil, check out Suhr pickups. I have those in my other guitar and i love it. But for the 422R, I was going for a different vibe.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Compared to a regular single coil, the cruiser and the chopper isn't as vintage-sounding (to me, none of the hum cancelling pickups do compared to the ultra-noisey single coils). The tone and potential is there, but it may take a bit more compensation with your amp to get it. I guess it all depends if it's good enough for you, which can be subjective.

If you want a nice authentic-sounding vintage single coil, check out Suhr pickups. I have those in my other guitar and i love it. But for the 422R, I was going for a different vibe.
I thought the Cruiser had a decent vintage vibe, but I can't say that for sure right now, since I don't have one anymore. I do agree that the ultra-noisey single coils have the right vibe, that's a lot of why I put the pickups that I have in mine, I wanted true vintage at the time. Now I've got a couple of strats I'm throwing together, so I was thinking of trying something else in my 442.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM

the cruiser does have a decent vintage vibe and sounds great. It has a bit more meat and a smoother tone to it than regular sc that's nice for leads, if that's what you need or like something a little different :-) And I wanted something a little more balanced with the bridge humbucker on the 442R, so I chose the Cruiser. The stock pickups were just too thin sounding for my liking and didn't have a very good bass response with the neck sc.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
And here I thought a 442R was a Pontiac

442 was an Oldsmobile!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM

i've got that sunburst model, it is an awesome guitar. i've also got another very rare beaute that is very similar...the rv450, which was the radius version of the awesome (yet underappreciated) rt line. i will post a pic when i get home, but that guitar is also amazing
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Those look like fun. I feel I'm missing out having never played one before.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Reviews: 27

Quote:
i found this one on ****. got it for like $250 shipped. i am not complaining. it is very rare. i couldnt believe what i was seeing when i saw it on the bay. had to have it..... it was in rough shape. i had to resand the neck and refinish it. i polished the hell out of it and it has a few chips in the finish, but it plays nice, and sets up great. I love the viper neck. i was nervous about having a maple board but it is really nice.

i was just upset that the shop took so long and then put the biggest ding on the guitar. and even though it is filled you can still easily see the ding. thats what i was so upset about.

PS i will probably never sell this guitar..... I love the radius series....
> PS i will probably never sell this guitar..... I love the radius series....

So your love for your radius might be waning a bit? ;-)

Last edited by PortlandAxe; 05-24-2010 at 02:52 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

actually, i do love the radius and JS series the aerofoil body shape is the one of the most comfortable ever made IMO. i thought i would love the maple board a bit more. but i dont, i guess i like rosewood best. I still have yet to get around to putting in different pickups.

It really cleaned up nicely, it was a bit rough when i got it. I had to refinish the neck, I had to sand it a bit and then i used some tru oil to seal the back of the neck. i also cleaned up the finger board. i think it turned out great.

there are some before pictures out there of the neck
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

if it sells then it sells.... if it doesnt... i wont lose any sleep over it. I still really like this guitar. i just figured i would use the money to fund another project.

I just bought an RG in desperate need of a paint job.....

I figured with all the talk about the maple board that satch was using on tour with the Jimi Hendrix experience that maybe i could turn this guitar for a few bucks... and start working on my next project guitar.

i have enjoyed working on them

Tags
alder body , bass response , breed bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , coil tap , flamed maple , fret board , gotoh tuners , ibanez guitars , maple fret , maple fret board , maple neck , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , vintage strat , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode