pics of my 442R just got it back from the shop - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

pics of my 442R just got it back from the shop

here it is.

took them forever just to put in a volume pot and set up. then when i got there there was a dime sized ding in the back that they put there. I was very unhappy. they had it filled but it is still very visible on the back.

i will never go there again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: pics of my 442R just got it back from the shop

Where ? These are hard to find, why are you complaining if they even fixed it for ya ?

Sorry if i sound a little bit mean, i just think it's a lovely guitar and that the R series was so cool. I mean i like the JS, but they never have maple fret boards and i am a maple fiend

Last edited by Fender868; 02-17-2008 at 11:05 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

i found this one on ****. got it for like $250 shipped. i am not complaining. it is very rare. i couldnt believe what i was seeing when i saw it on the bay. had to have it..... it was in rough shape. i had to resand the neck and refinish it. i polished the hell out of it and it has a few chips in the finish, but it plays nice, and sets up great. I love the viper neck. i was nervous about having a maple board but it is really nice.

i was just upset that the shop took so long and then put the biggest ding on the guitar. and even though it is filled you can still easily see the ding. thats what i was so upset about.

PS i will probably never sell this guitar..... I love the radius series....
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Dee

Oh man. I love the 442R, it's a really great looking guitar (haven't played one in person). Sorry to hear they put a ding it, that really sucks and they should compensate you somehow.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Hang on a minute.... I've never even heard of this guitar! Tell us more, lol. It looks good!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 AM
HDS

And here I thought a 442R was a Pontiac
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Cool Re: pics of my 442R just got it back from the shop

Made only in 1992, the 442R was ibanez answer to the grunge movement. this guitar boasts an alder body with TZ trem (more traditional than a locking trem) this guitar had locking gotoh tuners and an HSS config with position one being humbucker and position 2 - bridge single + middle single. rest standard. this guitar was unusual in that it had a flamed maple neck with maple board unheard of in the radius series until this time. it also has a viper neck a little meatier than a wizard for again a more traditional feel. this guitar is light and with the aerofoid design is a dream to play. the neck feels about like my 540 RHH ultra neck. THis is a rare bird and i was lucky to find it even in its rough condition.

reprinted from ibanezrules.com without permission.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM

how cool!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Dee

I would instantly buy one of those if I could find one. Awesome guitar.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Very nice. Those are great guitars. I got mine from a Zoner here on Jemsite. I absolutely love it. One of the best feeling necks I've ever played, too. If anyone can ever find one, I'd say grab it, and that $250 is an absolute steal.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. i will have better pics when the weather is nicer. i am thinking an outdoor setting with the sunlight would be nice for a couple of guitar pics.

penguins- what pups do you have in yours did you change them? i am already thinking of changing mine....
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottop1972 View Post
thanks guys. i will have better pics when the weather is nicer. i am thinking an outdoor setting with the sunlight would be nice for a couple of guitar pics.

penguins- what pups do you have in yours did you change them? i am already thinking of changing mine....
I don't recall what was in there when I got it - I don't think they were stock. I now have a zebra Air Zone in the bridge, and I wanted go go with a vintagey sound in the neck and middle, so I put an IBZUSA C3 in the neck, which is a straight single, not stacked like the C1 and C2, and a Fender in the middle. I like how it's set up now, but I was thinking of going to Duncan Cool Rails in the neck with a coil tap, and possibly one of the new Duncan P-Rails P90/Rail hybrid pups in the bridge.

I think I posted this up when you first bought yours, but here's mine - and BTW I agree, they look nice in outdoor shots.

Full shot:

All the rest:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...its/442R%20CS/
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

your guitar is beautiful.

i was thinking along the lines of a breed bridge but i had no idea what to put middle ro neck..... maybe some yjm's something very smooth. mine is not as smooth as i would like.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 PM

I have one the same color as gpenguins. It's definitely one of my favorite Ibanez guitars.

scott - yeah, I wasn't to keen on the stock pickups. It had a nice vintage stratty type of tone, but the neck pickup was bit too bright and thin sounding, and high on the upper mid-range for soloing. The bridge pickup is excellent though, very tight and focuse. But I recently swapped out all the pickups to Cruiser (neck) Chopper (middle), and a PAF Pro (bridge). I am much happier with the tone...the neck and middle pickup is much smoother and fatter sounding...good for solos but retain a decent vintage vibe for cleans. I have a bunch of strats anyway that do the vintage thing anyway.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

yeah thats what i want but this is my strat type of guitar. so i need the vintage type sound but the bridge could have a touch more output but i definitely can live with it. the singles i like the middle one. but the neck one is not as smooth as i would like when soloing and is a little distorted sounding when playing clean. do you think the cruiser and chopper retain enough of that vintage strat single coil to work for me?

Tags
alder body , bass response , breed bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , coil tap , flamed maple , fret board , gotoh tuners , ibanez guitars , maple fret , maple fret board , maple neck , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , vintage strat , viper neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode