Pics! My new GMW Lynch - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
RGN

Pics! My new GMW Lynch

Here is my new baby. Lee Garver at GMW made this for me. It CRANKS. Killer unfinished neck which feels as good or better than an '84 Charvel neck, Duncan Custom Custom and Coil Rails (sounds amazing), and a non-recessed Floyd. Killer Dan Lawrence graphic. I am pretty pumped. I did sell my 7VWH to appease the wife but luckily still have my 7VSBL!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:44 PM

Reviews: 1
Dude...that is a real looker. I was going to have lee do a 7 string for me but finances took a change for the worse. I am going to have him do it this spring. Everytime i see his work, I get all excited for when I will finally have mine done.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 10:45 PM

Isn't that the same artist that did the JPM graphics? Sweet looking axe man!!!!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:59 AM

Why did that finish ever get christened the "submarine" graphic? It's definitely one of my favourite Lynch guitars, and was probably responsible for getting me hooked on reverse headstocks back in the late '80s.

Cool replica!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 03:44 AM

Nice guitar! Does the bridge pickup routing too big or it suppose to be like that? Just wondering...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:14 AM

Very nice! I just love the reverse headstock. Something about those up-turned Jackson-style headstocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobig
Does the bridge pickup routing too big or it suppose to be like that? Just wondering...
It looks normal to me. That's generally how they look without a pickguard.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 05:19 AM

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT DUDE! I was also thinking about getting something done by GMW. Now I know I will get something done.

Regards

André

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
RGN

I don't know how the "submarine" thing got started either. I have heard "submarine", "orange submarine", "orange camo" and "Russian Submarine". I did a little research and can't find any submarine that looks similar to my guitar. I have seen some aviation camo that some of the wierd shapes. That baby was always my favorite Lynch guitar. I owned a couple ESP sig models but always wanted this one. This is the first time I have really got excited about a guitar since '97 I guess. I LOVE IT.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGN
I don't know how the "submarine" thing got started either. I have heard "submarine", "orange submarine", "orange camo" and "Russian Submarine". I did a little research and can't find any submarine that looks similar to my guitar.
German subs near the end of the second world war and some American subs in the Pacific sported "abstract" camo to make them harder to spot in moving seas... They were never orange of course, but the mix of broad, solid abstract shapes is about right... The plating lines with the rivets are supposed to represent the sub's hull, I guess... Overall, the effect is very similar to the actual sub camo used back then, though the colors are different.

ps ~ that's an awesome looking axe!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 10:54 AM

Compare to the original here: http://georgelynch.com/guitars/submarine.html

The gold hardware is kind of a nice touch, though i prefer chrome myself.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
RGN

I debated between chrome or gold harware and decided to go with the gold. A lot of the vintage Charvel's used gold hardware so I went with it. The pics don't really do the orange color justice- that orange almost glows it is so bright. I can't wait to get another GMW!! I think I may be done with standard production guitars. GMW can build anything you can dream up and they are affordable. Don't get me wrong, I still love my 7VSBL and RG520QS but I really miss some of the wild graphics from the 80s

p.s. thanks for the info Jimi D! Cool stuff.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 12:01 PM

wow! that thing sure is gorgeous!

You gotta play the hell out of that thing!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi D
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGN
I don't know how the "submarine" thing got started either. I have heard "submarine", "orange submarine", "orange camo" and "Russian Submarine". I did a little research and can't find any submarine that looks similar to my guitar.
German subs near the end of the second world war and some American subs in the Pacific sported "abstract" camo to make them harder to spot in moving seas... They were never orange of course, but the mix of broad, solid abstract shapes is about right... The plating lines with the rivets are supposed to represent the sub's hull, I guess... Overall, the effect is very similar to the actual sub camo used back then, though the colors are different.

ps ~ that's an awesome looking axe!
Hehe, JimiD how did you find that picture of a Polish-made model of a German submarine anyway?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Compare to the original here: http://georgelynch.com/guitars/submarine.html

The gold hardware is kind of a nice touch, though i prefer chrome myself.
The lock nut behind a regular nut is an interesting idea.
Greg
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 02:44 PM

Greg: Floyds (and Floyd licensees) were the only system that used a true "locking nut", as that was likely also a part of the Floyd Rose patents. Every other locking trem system used a behind-the-nut lock.

Much better control over the width, depth and spacing of the nut slots was possible and they could be customized to suit the fretboard radius or player's preferences. The disadvantage was that it was one more place where string slack could bind, so it wasn't as consistently stable as a true locking nut.

I still think the best locking nuts were the old Yamaha ones that were surface mounted and height-adjustable.

Tags
bridge pickup , darren wilson , floyd rose , fretboard radius , lock nut , locking nut , locking nuts , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode