Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Pics of my sevens

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  bulletbass man 
#1 ·

These are my 3 7-strings. I'm an Ibanez fanboy, and I sold my electric 6's as I just don't see myself playing them anymore, really (although I want to get an Ibanez JPM, and since the chances of a 7 JPM are virtually 0, I'd go for a 6).

The VK I've had for the longest, and it has a DS7 in the bridge and AN7 in the neck, zebra cream, and 'aged' controls from a Fender.
The BK is bog standard apart from its DS7 and AN7 p-ups.
The 2027 has no mods to the wiring, but that will change when I buy some new p-ups. It currently has some unusually coloured p-ups; Evo7 in the bridge and Blaze Neck in the neck.
I don't mind the Evo, but I'm looking to replace both of them.

Hope you like the pics

See less See more
#10 ·
the TZ-7 sounds great in mahogany, but you definitely don't want it in basswood. when i was having chris woods build me a body, i bought the pickups and put them in my rg7620vk while i was waiting for the project ot get done. horrible sounding. i hate the regular TZ in basswood anyway, but the 7 string version took it to another level. in my basswood 7's i have the blaze custom and that pickup kills. in my mahogany ax7521, i have a blaze custom and it is huge. that combined with the shorter scale makes it evil. big and obnoxious, like roseanne...still somewhat appealing in the aftermath. the TZ-7 in mahogany sounds very similar to the six, but is somewhat thinned in the lower register to keep it from tubbing out. i personally love it. i wanted my sevens to mimic my sixes in order to keep my tones consistent. so if you like the TZ, you owe it to yourself to at least try out the 7 version.

rich

#7 ·
Keen eye there, Jim. It didn't photograph too well, but you're right; there's a lovely lighter streak running down the right side of the 2027's fretboard. I was very pleased about that when I got it. It's very textured-looking.
They all get 'the oil' to keep 'em nourished.

Actually, someone over on ss.org stained the most beautiful rosewood fretboard I've seen in ages. It was such a shame, it had a wonderful grain on it.

evolvedmb: The DS7 is a great p-up. I've not tried 1000's, but of all the bridges I've tried, that's my favourite. I've never tried a TZ7, and I've actually steered away from them because of the bad reputation they have. So many people can't be wrong.
I did consider putting a DS7 in the bridge of the 2027, but I think it might be a little too warm for that. Even the Evo7 sounds quite warm in the mahogany on the low notes. I noticed it just recently, that it gets a little muddy down there. I'm thinking of trying something like a D-Activator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.